Common Leon MK2 Problem Log

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
Anyone know where the speed sensor is on a seat leon FR 1.9 tdi 2005?

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

ddcfcf70c60778a9803e6eac41721bc8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4nny

Sep 30, 2017
UK
My experience - Leon MK2 2011 (1P) 1.6 TDI Ecomotive Manual, Media + Convenience Pack

Here are all the things I've noticed in my car with about 5 months (4000 miles) of ownership of my above car. See if any of the things below apply to you, you can send me a message and we can discuss anything you have concerns on.

I will add to the list and I will eventually post solutions/planned actions or ideas or anything else I am aware of in the appropriate sections. :D

Funny enough, none of them are major and I still love driving it with no (major/huge) issues to the operation of the car.

- Clutch pedal can develop a clicking sound as you operate it ( my dealer replaced the pedal, but i think people have mentioned you can replace a clip)
- Clutch in first gear bits harshly and sometimes when shifting down.
-Boot struts are a bit dead, boot stops half way ( going to put some new ones plus high force to make the boot open itself. (Like this example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9U5QBMN5Q)
- AC ( Air conditioning) pump noise matched with engine rpm. It's bit noisy, works perfectly fine!
- Engine makes a revving sound at idle sometimes with the ac on (assume it's the AC pump as when I turn it off engine sound is fine)
- sometimes start-stop freezes (when you press the clutch too fast and to the floor.)
- Speaker/window rattle, notice on some tracks/ bass/ quality of music ( hope to locate it and fix up anything loose)
- water ingress into the engine bay (very common it seems)
- Wipers have been eaten up by the metal frame they are inserted into, so they become loose and the wipers make a scrapping sound now and again depending on the amount of water
- Rear wipers seem to get stuck like going on lots of speed bumps
- It's very torquey! - sometimes in the lower gears, you can accelerate a lot better than you can break on country roads! (looking to get good brake pads next replacement)
- Navigation is decent ( needs an update though as it doesn't offer any alternative routes and isn't efficient at selecting the root, so end up using my phone and google maps)
- MPG - not as described - have got about 55 mpg on mostly motorway(highway) journeys (70-75MPH) and about 45 mpg on mix journies - although can achieve 600 miles out of the tank (50 Liters). I could probably get a little more if I didn't use all the acceleration in the first 2 gears
- Last 1/4 tank - the fuel needles move around depending on how you drive ( so not fully accurate)
- Speedo designed as if you're going to do 100mph all the time, bottom end 0-30 mph hard to see, I've lowered the steering wheel slightly and now got used to it!
- If you go fast enough around a corner, you will feel like you're going sidewards, the suspension is firm but you can't corner like an FR/GTD! Helps to lower the seat and sit slightly closer to the controls for a 'slightly' sportier cornering.
-You can't Cruze in 5th at 50MPH( well mostly down to the long gearing and the fact it's at 1400 revs at that point)
- Long Gearing, so you have to stay in the lower gear longer before you shift up, for example, you can't really shift to 3rd gear from 2nd until you hit 30mph and the difference in revs is, 2500 in 2nd @ 30 mph and 1500 in 3rd @ 30 mph - so you can see the long drop in revs hence - long gearing.
- I'll add more later!

So whats actually good? Haha - well lots of things.

- All the above are not major things
- Punchy engine in first 3 gears, 1st/2nd gear acceleration puts a smile on your face :p
- Good amount of tech
- Fun driving, steering is light
- Very good Cruiser + cruise control
- No Tax!
- MPG is still respectable
- It looks fabulous with those curves!
- Fairly reliable overall (being a VW) - no major issues yet.
- Fairly roomy in the back, practical, seats fold and center middle seat fairly low
- Cool features, like folding mirrors with holding the lock button down, which if held closes all the windows too! And on open if you hold it down it opens the windows until you let go ( mirrors open with the key in the ignition position, nice touch!)
- I'll add more later!

Happy Driving all, and hope to communicate with you whoever has anything common with my car!

:bleh: Have a good day!

Last edited:

zalifr170

Dec 27, 2017
Gateshead
Hi all i'm new here... I have a leon fr mk2 2007 and i will list the following problems which i have. i will appreciate any comments/remedies that anyone has.

-ESP light on
-Flywheel judder
-substansial Knock when pulling away in 1st or reversing and sometimes under harsh acceleration.
-DPF stinks to high heavens
-i'm getting rubbish fuel economy compared to my mk5 golf 140 bhp or is that normal???
-and finally i get a grinding sound from the front drivers side wheel region when i go round a tight left hander and its not rubbing and its not bearing, and my mechanic is scratching his head over it. Any ideas??

also i'd like to know is drilled and grooved disks enough stopping power for a stage 1 remap?

Cheers

Mickeemac

Mar 5, 2018
Vibration/ shudder on take off on clutch

Seat Leon 2009 Tdi 1.9 just got this car and I’ve noticed when iam taking off or in reverse there is an vibration or shudder when I release the clutch
All help welcome
Thanks mickee

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Seat Leon 2009 Tdi 1.9 just got this car and I’ve noticed when iam taking off or in reverse there is an vibration or shudder when I release the clutch
All help welcome
Thanks mickee
Probably means your clutch is on its way out. Monitor and it will probably get worse over time so you should know when to change it. Mine has been doing it for months but hasnt got any worse yet

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
Probably means your clutch is on its way out. Monitor and it will probably get worse over time so you should know when to change it. Mine has been doing it for months but hasnt got any worse yet

My clutch and dual mass has been like that since I got the car, 5 years and 80k ago. Wouldn’t worry massively just keep an eye on it. (Also a 1.9tdi, which are known for being more less refined)

Mar 29, 2019
Possibly the connector under the passenger seat. A quick search will bring up previous threads I imagine.

You definitely do need to need to sort it ASAP. When the airbag light is on, all airbags are disabled in the vehicle.
Hi my air bag light has appeared and all of a sudden my battery is flat, is this a related problem ? I have read so much about softwear issues is this something I need to explore

Mar 29, 2019
Well I bought the car last September on a 61 plate (2012) so possibly original battery, I took paid for extended warranty (2 years) so possibly get it back to the garage??

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
6.5 years could be pushing it for a battery. Mine's also a 61 plate, I'm on my 2nd. If you have a multimeter, you can check the battery and alternator. When you charged it back up, did the airbag light go out?

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Does anyone know what this pipe is on the PD 170? I have an exhaust leak and half of this pipe is covered in black soot. Not sure if exhaust is coming out of this pipe or if exhaust is blowing onto it and turning it black. For reference, it's at the back of the engine and goes round the right hand side.

IMG-20191011-174044.jpg

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I think it’s an intercooler pipe, not 100% sure though.

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Yea I think it is. So either somehow oil is getting on it and burning, or there's oil inside, or that's exhaust soot. My mate said its probably oil coming from the return pipe and burning (somehow) but by looking at pictures, it seems that the oil return pipe is level with this pipe so it perhaps isn't dripping down. Also its a dry-ish black residue so how could a intercooler pipe burn oil.

Chris99

Aug 18, 2017
Hi I’ve had a p0234 on my 2010 Leon 2.0 tdi sport and going into limp. Vacuum checked all pipework and corresponding components and all hold vacuum. Actuator arm moves turbo vanes. Only thing I noticed is when vdcs testing boost solenoid vacuum is 25” idle the same as the vacuum pump is creating but when not being tested I’m only getting 16.5” idle. Might be normal but I assume I should have 25” vacuum when the Solenoid valve is on. Could this be the ecu being sent wrong information by MAP or MAF sensor?

Hi I’ve had a p0234 on my 2010 Leon 2.0 tdi sport and going into limp. Vacuum checked all pipework and corresponding components and all hold vacuum. Actuator arm moves turbo vanes. Only thing I noticed is when vdcs testing boost solenoid vacuum is 25” idle the same as the vacuum pump is creating but when not being tested I’m only getting 16.5” idle. Might be normal but I assume I should have 25” vacuum when the Solenoid valve is on. Could this be the ecu being sent wrong information by MAP or MAF sensor?
One way to check that would be to graph MAF expected against MAF actual while you give it a good hard drive. Used to be the best way to find a duff MAF. https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/tdi.html

Chris99

Aug 18, 2017
One way to check that would be to graph MAF expected against MAF actual while you give it a good hard drive. Used to be the best way to find a duff MAF. https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/tdi.html
Thanks So obviously the expected should be close to actual. Was going to disconnect it and let the ecu go to default to see if problem went away then I’d know. Also think I should clean the map sensor. Only done 43000 which isn’t much. Been doing my head in lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.