steering wheel - facelift to preface

ahadmehmood

Jan 30, 2013
Depends on what sort of display you have here is the link you need to have one with the angle sensor capability and your new module will need coding with vcds

Apr 6, 2010
I have the large MFD with Bluetooth if that's what you mean? Is the CH controller the correct one? I already have my steering wheel just need the airbag and controller now, does anyone have instructions on how to code? I have access to vag-com

ahadmehmood

Jan 30, 2013
I have the large mfd too with cruise control But no Bluetooth. I bought the cd model first but that wasn't compatible with the angle sensor so steering wheel light was on constantly then changed to ch model and it was fine they are hard to come by though. I bought mine from eBay.

Coding somebody did this for me but I think it's fairly straight forward if you go in to the steering wheel module I think the coding for mine was 005349. When you go in to that module on vcds it gives you guidelines as to what your code needs to be

Apr 1, 2014
'up anley duck'
New steering wheel all fitted/ coded and working. Only took around 10 mins to do.
73C66F49-F2B7-4525-8D88-F5F1D994C1D8-15353-00000795C1792624_zps12c2b7d2.jpg

that steering wheel is pre-FL

dynamik

Nov 24, 2013
Hmmmm has anyone done this?

I know this is a few years since the last post.
I have recently completed this mod, all you need is the correct steering wheel controller. I got the ch model as before i had changed the steering wheel i changed the cluster to the large red screen fr version so it was compatible.
Then you just need the steering wheel itself plus the correct airbag. I got the 09 fl leon fr flat bottom wheel. I then noticed the same airbag is used in the 09 onwards alteas and toledo so i got that.

Once you have the 3 items plus vcds its just a case of removing the old controller and wheel, search you tube if you are unsure of how to do this. Install new steering wheel, make sure the dot on both the steering column and steering wheel allign correctly. Tighten the bolt to 30nm as per elsawin.
Connect the wires between the airbag and steering wheel for the horn and steering wheel controls then connect the main yellow plug to the slip ring, push the airbag all the way in until it clicks in place if it doesnt the wires are in the way.
Connect battery then open vcds go to steering wheel controller and code it in as per your vehicle. Then the install is complete just remember to do steering assist basic setting so the yellow light on the dash goes off and the steering is not heavy. See rosstech for this procedure.

Hope this helps someone wanting to do this mod

Oct 9, 2019
I’ve got a Leon mk 2 pre facelift model, 2.0 petrol FSI.
I’ve upgraded all parts so it’s now a facelift FR replica. Only thing I haven’t changed is the steering wheel...
I’ve recently purchased a facelift steering wheel, installed initially and connected all cables in correctly, however I had no horn function or steering wheel controls. Can live with out the steering wheel controls for now but had to remove as need the horn
Does anyone know if I need to change the control module in order to get the horn working or is this just a case of coding? Moving from that, would the control module need to be changed for the controls?

dynamik

Nov 24, 2013
I’ve got a Leon mk 2 pre facelift model, 2.0 petrol FSI.
I’ve upgraded all parts so it’s now a facelift FR replica. Only thing I haven’t changed is the steering wheel...
I’ve recently purchased a facelift steering wheel, installed initially and connected all cables in correctly, however I had no horn function or steering wheel controls. Can live with out the steering wheel controls for now but had to remove as need the horn
Does anyone know if I need to change the control module in order to get the horn working or is this just a case of coding? Moving from that, would the control module need to be changed for the controls?
Hi yes you need steering controller 1K0953549CH thats what i got, this is located under the steering wheel, you also need to change the canbus gateway unit to 7N0907530AF if not done already then code in with VCDS. you should be done then.

Oct 9, 2019
Hi yes you need steering controller 1K0953549CH thats what i got, this is located under the steering wheel, you also need to change the canbus gateway unit to 7N0907530AF if not done already then code in with VCDS. you should be done then.
Okay great, I’ll order the parts, fingers crossed it all works! Quick question, when you did yours, did the horn work when you changed the module over or did you have to code it for the horn to work as well?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.