Seat ibiza FR 1.2 tsi question good engine?

gh2

Aug 2, 2010
Even if the engine is warmed up, you should get the message
START
STOP
NOT
POSSIBLE

on the screen on the dashboard.

turnipfarmer

Aug 22, 2010
Sadly nothing like that either. I'm resigned to the fact these new face lift ibiza doesn't have it. I tried again this morning and nothing.

Looking at the engine line up is think it's the ecomotive one that must be the only one that has it.

Feb 8, 2011
I think it's now pretty clear.

The new 1.2 tsi doesn't have stop start, so either:

1. The claimed mpg and CO2 figures are wrong
or
2. They have done something to the engine or transmission to make the figures better.
or
3. They did a retest with a better production sample.

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
im pretty sure the new fr doesnt have stop start.

I ordered one hopefully coming next week so i will confirm then.

But the one i test drove didnt, im sure i would of noticed if it did.

it doesnt mention anywhere in the catolog , and im sure it would if it does because
its a selling point!

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
1.2 TSI FR doesn't have stop/start, they have reduced the CO2 by tweaking the engine I expect.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I'm pretty sure its advertised as having stop/ start? What other Ibizas have it, just the 1.2 TDI?

EDIT: Checked the brochure its only fitted to the 1.2 TDI CR 75PS Ecomotive (S A/C and SE) SC | 5dr | ST
Quite impressed they've got the little TSI at 119g/ km without stop/ start, this means its the most efficient VAG car with this engine fitted.

Last edited:

ian-mac

Thought I would pitch in..

Was down at my local dealer today for a look around and was shown an facelift FR, which seams to have replaced the sport. Anyway I took a Boucher home with me and sure enough on the engine information pages, the only car that comes with the start stop is the 1.2 TDI CR 75PS Ecomotive, the 92 g/km CO2 one. The other diesels and all the patrols don't have it :-(

It's such a shame that Seat have not included this, all the new VeeDubs have it..even my bros 3.0 TDI Touareg!! Perhaps it's something that can be activated via VagCom tho? It's prob controlled by the engine Managment I would imagine?

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
im going down the dealer tonight to sign my finance documents and have a look at my beautiful new car before shes ready :p

i will ask the dealer then about stop/start and why it not on this model and how they got the emissions down.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
i will ask the dealer then about stop/start and why it not on this model and how they got the emissions down.

And if they're like any other dealer will give you a blank expression followed by a nervous glance, a slight bit of perspiration and then waffle some nonsense chucking in a spattering of eco buzzwords whilst glaring at you like a rabbit in headlights waiting for that look from you that says "you have talked sufficient bullshit for me to be no longer interested in what you are saying, you may now stop"

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
ha it is funny to watch them skirm though!

on a side note - is it normal to sign your finance documents
before you actually get the car? im guessing il be getting it weekend
but he wants me to sign the finance stuff tonight.
Ive already signed some stuff about how much car is worth etc..
when ordered it but nothing to do with the pcp deal .

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
on a side note - is it normal to sign your finance documents
before you actually get the car? im guessing il be getting it weekend
but he wants me to sign the finance stuff tonight.
Ive already signed some stuff about how much car is worth etc..
when ordered it but nothing to do with the pcp deal .

Yes it's normal, saves time on the day you collect your car.

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
tar documents all signed - get it on monday :)
even let me have a cheeky little look and she looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

ian-mac

And if they're like any other dealer will give you a blank expression followed by a nervous glance, a slight bit of perspiration and then waffle some nonsense chucking in a spattering of eco buzzwords whilst glaring at you like a rabbit in headlights waiting for that look from you that says "you have talked sufficient bullshit for me to be no longer interested in what you are saying, you may now stop"

Haha too rite mate! Usually they just stare blankly at you for a few moments, then scurry off to the brochure, come back and give a 37 minute explanation as to why it isn't included, but isn't an important feature and how you can do without it until you move the conversation on!

On another note..anyone know if this engine now falls into the lower road tax band (i.e the £55 one)..I'm assuming it dose based on the lower emissions but I have no idea how the bands work. Also checked out today how much more it would be to insure if I upgrade, and amazingly 105BHP 1.2 is £21 cheaper per year than the 1.4 85BHP sport that I currently have..wonderful how insurance companies work isn't it!

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Perhaps it's something that can be activated via VagCom tho? It's prob controlled by the engine Managment I would imagine?

Unfortunately not, there is physically a stop/start module fitted to the car for it to work. Found it in the A1 the other day under the rear seats but not sure where it would live in the Ibiza.

You don't need it though, the point of the system is to reduce co2/ improve mpg but given they've got it to such good levels without it would be left redundant.

ian-mac

You don't need it though, the point of the system is to reduce co2/ improve mpg but given they've got it to such good levels without it would be left redundant.

Actually..your completely right! No need for it what so ever when the car already falls in the £30 road tax category and has good MPG.

Interesting tho that it's an actual physical part added to the car

Feb 8, 2011
Found it in the A1 the other day under the rear seats but not sure where it would live in the Ibiza.

Under the front passenger seat. That's why you can't fit the storage box there.

There is also a DC-DC converter that maintains correct voltage to everything, a modified starter motor, a uprated alternator, a special battery, several extra sensors, indicator on instruments, on-off switch etc. etc.

Certainly not just a software change!!!!!

hstjern

Dec 19, 2006
Stockholm (currently)
One thing I noticed with my 1.2 TSI ecomotice is that I just need to turn the key quickly to start it, I don't need to hold it untill the car has started and then release it. (like mk GF's 1.4 85Hp Mk5 Ibza)
Not sure this is at all a unique to the models that has Start/stop, but its pretty nice, and easy to get used to.

One thing I do wonder thought with start/stop is how if affects the turbocharger in the car, I mean, I always learned to leave the car for 10 secods or so idle before shutting it off so the turbo cools down.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise