Tyre Experts - Hairline cracks in treads?

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
A couple of minutes Googling came up with this:

"It is a good idea to mount new tyres (or those with the least wear) in back instead of in front. The driver has little or no control over loss of rear wheel grip. By mounting new tyres in the back, grip is balanced between the two axles, which improves safety. Despite weak grip, the driver controls the front axle with the steering wheel, while the rear axle grip is optimised by the new tyres."

This obviously applies to all cars, not just Mk1 Leons:whistle:

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent

"It is a good idea to mount new tyres (or those with the least wear) in back instead of in front. The driver has little or no control over loss of rear wheel grip. By mounting new tyres in the back, grip is balanced between the two axles, which improves safety. Despite weak grip, the driver controls the front axle with the steering wheel, while the rear axle grip is optimised by the new tyres."

Check out this link (CLICKY) to a video with VBH doing some tests (all be it in a People Carrier), but it was quite a shock to see the difference depending on where the tyres were fitted.

I'm certainly going to follow the advise.

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
Just to point out in my last thread on replacing the fronts, the rears where very very worn and I like the rear sliding out its more fun that way....

Wow I sound like that advert "My names Jim and I can drive my Folklift faster backwards than the others drive foward, I'm an accident waiting to happen and when it does you can sue me on this number 0845..."

But I would normally put the new ones on the rear.

vwseat

if there only little ones, you can keep driving!! and if youre not shore shop around and see wat outher garages have to say,,,,,,,

excuse my english ive bin liveing in holland sins 1985 and work with tyres every day........

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Not as bad as my hair line crack lol

blowoutbw6.jpg

cupradarren

you are spot on craig im a tyre fitter and have been for 15 yrs on and off i work for a well respected company to, the correct location for new tyres is to be fitted on the rear of vehicles, michelin have done extensive reserch in to this and support this fact its to help with the handling ,tyes come with a protective coating on them to help preserve the shelf life . and in wet conditions they can loose grip/traction, and by putting new tyres on the rear it nearly eliminates the cracking on the side walls and in the tread itself and its easier to control the rear end if it was to step out if you were to loose all traction on the front it could get very messy and expensive .tyres only have a 10 year shelf life to any any tyre over 5 yrs old i would seriously sugest getting changed as for tyre recomendations my personal pref is toyos T1R or mich PS2

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members