Petrol Additives: Do additives such as Redex really work ?

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hello,

I used Redex for my Leon Cupra for about 4 tankfulls and never really noticed a difference in fuel economy etc. So just really wanted to know if it actually gave any benefit to the system ?. I mean it's cheap and so if it actually does any good then i'll keep on buying it.

Just wanted to know your views !

Best Regards,
Andy

Bosher

Read a white paper last year on a series controlled tests undertaken by a university in the States on petrol additives. They found there was no performance gains to be had, in fact a couple of the products tested actually produced figures that were slightly worse than the results from standard petrol.

I used to run an injector cleaner in my motors till I was told by a guy who runs a fuel injection services business that the only real way of cleaning an injector is with an ultrasonic bath... so I stopped... :blink:

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Yeah i usually try and get 97RON in because i've found that the extra price per litre is offset by the increased mpg, but occasionally if super-unleaded is not available then i admit to squirting in 95RON.

It's a vicious circle really because of the way my warped little mind works....see, when i put 97RON in i convince myself it feels more powerful and therefore i pull away faster from junctions to burn off the little chavvy Corsas etc, then end up getting less mpg because of this!!! .... false economy (for me) :( !

But i suppose continuing to put in Redex whether it's 95 or 97RON won't hurt the engine in any way !

Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
We cannot get Tesco 99RON at our local TESCOextra store. I think only a handful of stores have it. Mind you, it's ages since i went up there so someone might be able to prove me worng ! (Durham, Dragonville Tesco)

Regards,
Andy

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
thing is with putting the odd tank of 95 in the ecu is contantly adapting to the different octane levels, thus adjusting the timing accordingly...

stick to 98 ron min constantly and performance and slightly higher mpg will be achieved

false economy to put naff fuel in mate...

redex wont do anything put clean the injectors.

bin the redex and spend the extra £6 pmonth on v-power.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Chris, James, that sounds like sound advice actually. I'll stick to the Shell V-Power. Is the Shell V-Power 97 or 98 RON ???

I'll have to have a look up at Tesco to see if they do the 99 RON. Is their 99RON any good ??

Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Shell V-Power is 99RON ??, i never realised that ! - i'll definitely be using it from now on then. Possibly the Tesco 99RON too, if i can find some !

Andy

Last edited:

Bosher

Really don't want to start up the old 'my fuel is better and more expensive than than yours' thread....... but...... ;)

I use Tesco 99 and the car seems to prefer it to V-Power for some bizarre reason.... and my wallet is much, much happier.

Only downside is Maccy D's is right by the entrance to the forecourt.... so much willpower needed....must not accidentally go into drive thru :whistle:

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Which? has recently published its findings re Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate & Tesco 99:

"Super fuels are a waste of money, says Which? Expensive super fuels 'don't improve performance'

25 September 2008

Super fuels don’t save you money, improve your car’s performance, or help to protect the environment, a study by Which? Car shows.

Fuel companies claim super fuels, which cost more at the pumps, can optimise fuel economy and increase a car’s power.

But Which? Car put three super fuels up against cheaper alternatives, and found there was little point in using them.

Marginal power increase
Shell V-Power, one of the unleaded super fuels tested, gave a 1.6-litre Ford Focus a marginal power increase.

But filling the car on this petrol for 12,000 miles would cost £115 more than using Shell’s standard petrol.

And Tesco’s Super Unleaded – another of the super fuels on test – actually decreased the Focus’s power.

Supercharged engines
Which? Car also looked at the impact of super fuels on turbo- and supercharged engines.

The VW Golf’s hi-tech 1.4TSI engine responded well to Shell V-Power, but there was little to choose between super fuels and ordinary petrol when it came to economy and emissions.

BP Ultimate diesel – the only diesel super fuel on test – actually made the fuel economy and performance of a Renault Mégane 1.5 slightly worse.

Waste of money
Which? Car editor Richard Headland said: 'For many cars it’s a waste of money paying over the odds for so-called 'super fuels'.

'The standard fuels we tested were all up to the job, whether from a major fuel brand or a supermarket.

'There’s no conclusive evidence to show that super fuels are better for your car in the long run - so in a time of high oil prices, why would you choose to pay more?'

Which? Car said motorists would do better to drive less frequently and more economically if they want to protect the environment, as the super fuels tested only had a marginal effect on emissions and pollutants.

There may be benefits to using super fuels in the long term as they include detergents to improve engine longevity. But Which? Car said any break even point in terms of reduced repair bills could take many years to reach."

Hmm... :think:

justsean

Apr 4, 2008
Cumbria
the ron means something else to do with the level of compression the fuel can take before it spontaneously combusts, SEAT recommend higher RON becuase it reduces the chance of engine "knocking" (i think its pressure caused by the turbo sometimes causes 95ron to "pop" and give the knocking sensation).

i doubt all high RON fuel has the additives in it, i imagine its only the more expensive ones like V-Power.

thats my understanding of ron anyway! am i talking ****?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
RON/Cetane reflects the uncontrolled combustion. If the fuel combusts when its supposed to then the ECU can control exactly when the fuel gets burnt - if the ECU can control this then it will provide the best parameters for MPG/Performance.

If the fuel has uncontrolled combustion then the ECU has to retard certain parameters, and thus not getting the best out of an engine.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.