Oil...What to use in your TDI

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Dave you must use 507.00 spec oil like castrol edge 5w30 (as used by many vag dealers) or mobil 1 esp 5w30, fuchs titan gti 5w30 is another.... Unfortunately its pricey stuff £44 at halfords for castrol. I just got some off ebay for less than £30 delivered:D Mobil is the more expensive one..
507.00 is specced for diesel with dpf and petrol (which is why its usually listed in shops under petrol oils) for latest generation vag engines.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Dave you must use 507.00 spec oil like castrol edge 5w30 (as used by many vag dealers) or mobil 1 esp 5w30, fuchs titan gti 5w30 is another.... Unfortunately its pricey stuff £44 at halfords for castrol. I just got some off ebay for less than £30 delivered:D Mobil is the more expensive one..
507.00 is specced for diesel with dpf and petrol (which is why its usually listed in shops under petrol oils) for latest generation vag engines.

Cheers John,

will have a look around for the cheapest deal..... many thanks

Dave

EliGiBB

Just wondering if someone can help me find what spec oil i need as my local seat dealer is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, ive checked through the thread but cant seem to find anyone whos asked for this car.

I have a 03 plate MK4 1.4TDI (S) Ibiza and i have no idea what spec oil i need in it (also dont know if its PD or not), the dealer told me that as long as i put in 15w40 oil in it will be ok.

Thanks all!

Dragonseat

Hi chums,
new to this forum, although I have run Audi's for 10yrs+ and now have a Toy Landcruiser on the drive too..... for towing and dogs only honest!

Currently running a 55' Leon TDi 110 as our commuter - had since 900 miles now 58000 and is possibly the best car we have had A6's incl.

I have been to my local German Swedish and French outlet in Swansea - the guys there are excellent. Fully stocked with correct FUCHs Fully Syn. oil and the cost compared to halfrauds is so good 5k oil changes are now the norm.

Our Seat dealer in Swansea has done a runner - not suprising after the service we received there - so at the moment waiting for the big 60k service and a new dealer...

Great site BTW - have been member of Audi forums in the past and know this is a great way to learn about your cars....

Lambfoot

My Altea TDi has gone to a better place, but I still have a litre of VW 505-01. Can I use it in a petrol engined car? I am guessing that as it is presumably a better oil, it will do no harm. Seems a shame to dump something which cost me £12!

bkkfh

which oil to use

It may be of interest but the first factory fill for oil worldwide in all VW group companies (VW/Audi/ Skoda/Seat) is now Shell Helix Ultra VX 5w/30. This is approved to VAG 504.00/507.00 and is backwards compatable with previous recommendations except for 3,5 &10 cylinder diesels which still need 506.01 0w-30 oil.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
I don`t think Seat use shell, They put a sticker under the bonnet recomending "Repsol oil"
I doubt they would recommend a oil that they don`t actually buy/use:blink:

Repsol is a big name in garage forecourts in Spain, However I doubt German
bult cars use it as a factory fill or Skoda.
Repsol is uncommon over here, so I doubt very much any dealers use it. They tend to use Quantum (vw branded oils) or Castrol and sometimes Shell.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Yep, it is indeed Shell. Used to be Fuchs factory fill but it's now Shell. Not to be confused with what Seat UK, Audi UK, or any other branch of the VAG group recommend to be used in their service regime or for topping up. Factory fill is what the engines are filled with initially before they ever get to Seat (or VW etc.).

seattoledotdi

Yep, it is indeed Shell. Used to be Fuchs factory fill but it's now Shell. Not to be confused with what Seat UK, Audi UK, or any other branch of the VAG group recommend to be used in their service regime or for topping up. Factory fill is what the engines are filled with initially before they ever get to Seat (or VW etc.).

Pro+power do a specially formulated synthetic for vw seat and audi to 505-01 spec and it can be purchased from motor factors PARKERS at 19.88 for 5 l.

Has any one used this?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
It looks as though it's their own name on a bottle of someone elses oil. Their website states "High quality manufactured and designed oils by the top names in the industry.". So depending on who they get to sell them it, it might be okay.

seattoledotdi

It looks as though it's their own name on a bottle of someone elses oil. Their website states "High quality manufactured and designed oils by the top names in the industry.". So depending on who they get to sell them it, it might be okay.

The specs on the bottle ie 505-01 and B4 etc are the same as on castrol edge and other pd oils. so it must have passed inspection. I understand halfords own brand is also availabe which is made by comma. So there are cheaper options than the branded ones.

B15_Donne

Sorry to be a pain, but ive got a 1.9tdi FR Ibiza and Ive jsut checked the oil and she's a bit low. The only problem being it is now 8:20pm and no where that stocks any sort of oil near me is closed. My only other option is I have Halfords 5w30 (suitable for diesels so it says) oil in my garage and I was just wondering, would it be ok just to use this oil as a top up until I get the proper oil on a later date.

Thanks.

seattoledotdi

Sorry to be a pain, but ive got a 1.9tdi FR Ibiza and Ive jsut checked the oil and she's a bit low. The only problem being it is now 8:20pm and no where that stocks any sort of oil near me is closed. My only other option is I have Halfords 5w30 (suitable for diesels so it says) oil in my garage and I was just wondering, would it be ok just to use this oil as a top up until I get the proper oil on a later date.

Thanks.

Hi
If its not below the min mark. wait till you get the correct oil

If its below the min mark just top up to the min then later use the correct grade to bring it to the max mark.

Thats what i would do .

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
It's the correct specification (VW505.01) but it's the wrong weight (5w 30).

Now listen very carefully, I shall say this only once (again) :D. You require oil to VW505.01 spec, with a 5w40 weight. Or you can run with the new VW spec which is now standard for all service regimes which is VW504/507 5w 30.

Now, the oil you've got is the spec of one and the weight of the other. So in effect it's incorrect. However, given that it's made by Elf (who've been in the business long enough to know their onions) and it does actually have the correct spec on the bottle, then I would think that you'll be okay with it. All that it means is that the oil will be thinner when it gets up to 100deg C. (that's the 30 bit) but cold start performance will be the same (that's the 5w bit).

Important parts of the oil spec for a PD engine are the correct VW specification and the correct weight. Both should be what you need for your engine.

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
So many posts to this thread, and I wish to add one more, after reading the thread:
My 2001 Leon TDI SE (110bhp), requires a 10W-40 505.00 engine oil. (is this correct)

I am aware that my car should be run with fully synthetic, however the local garage says partial-synthetic is good enough and this is being used.

Should i supply the garage with fully synthetic oil or continue use the partial-synthetic? Any suggestions to a reasonable 505.00 fully synthetic oil to further my investigation.