Oil...What to use in your TDI

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Right ive just been to Halfrauds and bought my self 1litre of Castrol Edge 5w-30 and before I go and stick into my 08 Ibiza FR TDi is this oil fine for my car? Sorry for the hassle.

Yep, as it's VW 504 00/507 00. Or the 5W-40 would have done (505 01).

But NOT the 0W-30, which is 502 00/503 01/505 00.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
you seem to go on about this VW505.01, might seem a bit silly but what is it? is it like a VAG stamp of approval? my toledo just gets the cheapest oil about which has some consistency to it.
i`ve run a lot of VW`s over the past 7 years now ranging aircooled classic to modern watercooled and, none of them have ever batted an eyelid at what oil was in them. I know my old vw type 3 i had many years ago, used to get run on £4.99 redstar oil, mainly because it would leak so much. my mk1 golf got 7.99 oil and 12.99 oil and again no difference to running, and my toledo just gets what evers left.
im to scared to do a service on my toledo, it hasnt been serviced in about 3 years and done 65k miles since last, just get little chance now, but being a vag engine it just keeps going and going.

VW505.01 - 5w 40 is the minimum specification required for VAG PD diesel engines. These came into production around 1999 in the Mk 4 Golf range (and similar). Anything with this type of injection system needs 505.01 oil. Anything air cooled, petrol engined, or non PD diesel isn't so important.

Arosa_R

Im pretty confused with all this oil talk..... ive looked at my cars old invoices and it says they used 5w-40 oil ... but on the last invoice it says Castrol SLX LongLife.

What can I use for my Arosa 1.4 TDi engine?

Cheers.

Riz :rolleyes:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Hello Riz!

Fancy seeing you here.;)

Castrol SLX Longlife is fine, as that was the required spec before it got superceded by Castrol Edge. Long story short, you need oil with either VW505.01 5w 40 on the bottle, VW506.01 0w 30 on the bottle, or VW 504/507 5w30 on the bottle. Names (such as Castrol SLX etc.) mean nothing without the specs I've outlined there. Even if it says PD on the bottle, it must also have the quoted specs.

Beaconjon

Jul 31, 2008
Blimey this oil lark is a mine field. I've read through this thread and am a little confused (not hard).

Help please.

Ok, I have a 53 plate Mk1 TDi 130 Leon. My local MCR (usually pretty good) told me I needed some semi-synthetic 15-40. I've checked on the tub and it says it meets VW 505.00. Is this any good or do I need a fully synthetic and/or VW505.01?:confused:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
You need something that conforms to VW505.01 or VW506.01 or VW507.00. If it doesn't say one of those on the bottle then it's not the right oil for your engine.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
505.01, 506.01 & 507.00 all contain a magical ingredient.

Zinc Alkyl Dithiophosphate
Phenol
Diphenylamine

plus some ether in the 505.01.

Hence why its quite expensive compaired with a Ford spec semi-synthetic for example.

Last edited:

Beaconjon

Jul 31, 2008
505.01, 506.01 & 507.00 all contain a magical ingredient.

Zinc Alkyl Dithiophosphate
Phenol
Diphenylamine

plus some ether in the 505.01.

Hence why its quite expensive compaired with a Ford spec semi-synthetic for example.

Brill. Many thanks fellas. I'll get it swapped tomorrow.

Also, I bought the filter. It's just the internal part and a couple of O rings in the box. I'm guessing it's like the old style cartridge filter where you re-use the housing.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Viking on the same basis as you've answered above I've got a non-PD but used Mobil 1 Diesel (505.00)..........but next to it on the shelf at Halfords there is thier own Diesel 5W/40 (made by comma) that is 505.01 but is a hell of alot cheaper !!!....would this be "more than okay" for me to use the Halfords stuff ?.................I was a bit doubtful because of the 0W vs 5W (in that I do alot of cold starts in the middle of the night in winter for emergency response purposes) plus also I think that the Mobil 1 is ACEA B4 & the Halfords stuff only B3 (equal to Commas PD 5W 40 oil)

Paul

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
Does an oil degrade in a bottle through time?
I have managed to get my hands on some 5w40 Fully Synthetic oil and plan to use it in my engine at the next service, however it is likely to be a number of years old. What should I check, or is it more than suitable to use. If age is an issue, any advice on a use by date or in other words how long can you keep oil before (and if) it goes past its best. (My dad has a few litres sealed and I was planning to take them off his hands.)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Anyone know what I should be using in a 2.0 TDi, Semi synth or full synth.

Look on the bottle. Look for the VW Specification. Look for the specification VW505.01 5w 40, or VW506.01 0w 30, or VW504/507 5w 30.

That's all you need to do. They're all synthetic formulation but that's irrelevant / not important. Those numbers and letters are all you need to find. If it doesn't have one of them on the bottle, it doesn't go in the engine.

Don't confuse VW505.00 with VW505.01 either. The specifications are specifically what I posted here.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Does an oil degrade in a bottle through time?
I have managed to get my hands on some 5w40 Fully Synthetic oil and plan to use it in my engine at the next service, however it is likely to be a number of years old. What should I check, or is it more than suitable to use. If age is an issue, any advice on a use by date or in other words how long can you keep oil before (and if) it goes past its best. (My dad has a few litres sealed and I was planning to take them off his hands.)

As long as no moisture has got into the bottles. Are the bottles sealed still? Where have they been stored?

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
got a 55plate leon fr tdi and have used Valvoline in the passed in all my cars is anyone using valvoline in their leon tdi's?what viscosity do i need?i know it has to be the 505?

Or can anyone tell me another brand thats best to use?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
got a 55plate leon fr tdi and have used Valvoline in the passed in all my cars is anyone using valvoline in their leon tdi's?what viscosity do i need?i know it has to be the 505?

Or can anyone tell me another brand thats best to use?

No, it has to be 505.01 That last bit of the specification is ultra important. And it needs to be 5w 40 weight (viscosity).

This thread explains it all, right there in the first post. Link.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise