Oil...What to use in your TDI

MR T

Jul 10, 2004
BOONDOCKS
halfords do 5 litres of 5/40 505.01 pd oil for £21.00 at the moment has anyone used it or does anyone know who makes their oil for them

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I asked the same question in September last year (in this thread infact) but no one seemed to have used it.............I only need a 505.00 in my 110bhp TDI but I wondered if I'd get better protection using the 505.01 but at a cheaper price (I currently/at the time use Mobil 1 Diesel)...............anyway the Halfords stuff is made by comma, so maybe a look on their website to look at spec's etc ?

Paul

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I bought some of the halfords stuff for topping up and when the car was in for a service they asked if I wanted to use that for my oil change but I stuck with the Millers stuff they use. Keep the halfords for topping up. I dare say though as long as it it the correct spec it should be ok?

wildejon

So... I was planning on using 505.01 oil in my 130 tdi but now I have noticed that on startup the computer is telling me it needs a service in 1500 miles, does this mean it is on a variable service interval setting and therefore needs a different oil? I want to do this myself but I'd rather just change it every 10k miles or something than be told when to do so, what info does the computer have that I don't?! :)

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
im not sure if yu should bother mate because when you get it serviced at SEAT the oil change and oil is included in the price of the service so you would only be topping it up for a short amount of time.

i always use 505.01 in my 130 tdi sport just for topping it up when its not near a service but it rarely needs it. sometime next year it will need its cambelt change on mine, realy weary on how much its going to cost!!!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
All SEATs get fixed service rates in the UK, so 505.01 is the one to go for in the 130.

Cupra PD160s should take 506.01 oil despite being on the same interval. I very much doubt you'd see a difference running 505.01 in it to be honest as there isn't that much difference in the engines!

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I'm currently using Audi/VW Special Plus 505.01 in my Ibiza and for 5 litres costs me £31.40. But can anyone recommend anything better (?) for around the same price or cheaper?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Does anyone know if there are charts on-line that tell you which oil to use, much like the ones you see at motor factors on the ring binders? I checked out Castrols site and they don't list an Ibiza 1.9tdi PD! (I believe it's 505.01 compliant 5w/40 fully synthetic).

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
BTW everyone Halfords down my way are doing 2 for the price of 1 on all synthetic oils of their own brand................so the Synthetic Diesel 505.01 5W/40 is 5litres is approx £31 so on this offer it works out at £15 / 5 litres !

I've only a 110bhp non PD & currently use Mobil 1 0W 40 ..............would there be any benefits (other than Mobil 1 is £45/ 5 litre & now Halfords is £15/ 5 litre)

Paul

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
Bought Halfords 2 for 1 PD oil on the weekend. So excited to be doing my own oil change at six months interval. i did'nt get a new oil filter ,so hopefully retrofitting should'nt cause any problems. ;)

wildejon

Are you gonna re-use the filter?! I'd try to get a new one if you can, its only a fiver and peace of mind too....
Personally I wouldn't consider it, kinda pointless to change the oil if you aren't doing the filter surely?

Just my two pence worth :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you're changing your oil twice as frequently as scheduled, you don't need to change your filter with the interim oil changes, after all the filter was designed to go the full distance between services and it's not going to dump all it's contents into the new oil (if it did, there'd be no point having a filter!). Remember these engines are used in other VW/Audis with variable service intervals that can go much further between oil changes.

However, given that new filters are pretty cheap you might as well do both...

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Does anyone know if there are charts on-line that tell you which oil to use, much like the ones you see at motor factors on the ring binders? I checked out Castrols site and they don't list an Ibiza 1.9tdi PD! (I believe it's 505.01 compliant 5w/40 fully synthetic).

Drop me an email or PM as we have a full database and can look up and recommend a suitable one.

My profile will help you find us

Cheers
Guy

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members