Water in bootlid. Leaking window?

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Two weeks ago after what seemed like a month of heavy rain and a power wash I noticed the car had a lot of condensation. Then I opened the boot and water was pouring from the lid itself out the join between boot lid and plastic cover. At this point I also discovered a small swimming pool in the wheel well. All told I'd say a litre or so.

During a full days work drying everything out I removed the back panel and both tail lights. The washer pipe was secure and anyway the water was clear. I did find water in one of the lights but it was between the inner red plastic lens and the outer clear lens. I can't see how to get this out. I did also find some 'gaps' in the steelwork in each light bay and as a precaution I sealed them with some bathroom silicone. I then put some silica gel bags in the boot lid and boot itself before putting it all back together. Today after a few more weeks of rain I've noted that the boot lid feels very heavy and slow to lift. I suspect the silica bags are now soaked as there was water leaking from behind the plastic cover again. There is some paint bubbling on the underside of the spoiler to the right of the central brake light and inside by the left strut bracket but both of these are sheltered when the boot is closed.

My last suspect is that the window seal itself is gone. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is this the kind of job that autoglass can do for me or is it a dealer visit?

Thanks in advance.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
This may be slightly simple of me but if you think there is a leak in the back window if you get someone to pour a constant supply of water from the roof onto the window if there is an air gap it should show bubbles...? then you can focus on that area?

Also it's early for me and I may of miss read your post haha

Cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise