1.4 FR is incredible but.....

seadog

Feb 15, 2018
I drove a new 1.4 FR TSI 5 door and was very impressed by the performance and comfort of the car. The handling was absolutely brilliant. The one I drove had the cylinder deactivation technology but this behaved itself well and didn't notice it going to 2 cylinders at any point.

I used to own a BlueGT but mine had some serious issues where it seemed to be forever stuck in 2 cylinder mode. Unfortunately BlueGTs seem to have a bad rep as there's a lot of them floating about for sale on auto trader with many of them having done less than 10k miles and some with 2 or more owners.
Might explain why the BlueGT was only made by VW for 3 years before they called it a day. Have also had experience of seeing engine management lights being displayed on other BlueGTs.

Anyhow i'm in the market for a new car and wondered whether I should be concerned with the Leon 1.4 FR. Hasn't it got the same type of engine as the BlueGT? Has it got potential long term reliability issues? when I say long term I mean 4+ years and having done at least 10k per year.

How does the 1.8 FR TSi 5 door compare to the 1.4? is it as comfortable to drive. If buying new would want it on 17s not 18s.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I'm betting the 1.5 EVO TSI will be available in the Leon soon if your willing to wait a bit...

misiakupatego

Mar 5, 2017
1.8 TSI better sound in higher RPMs and torque availiable in higher range. But fuel consumption is like in Cupra.

I dont like manual gearbox in 1.4 125KM - smooth change from 1 to 2 is very difficult. 1.8 TSI gearbox is smoother for me.

I had test drive with Ibiza FR 1.5 TSI Evo and ACT running very smooth. It is good engine but probably have GPF (like DPF in diesel)

nicky1873

Jan 10, 2008
I have the 1.4 ACT 150 bhp and can honestly say it's been one of the best engines i've ever had. Referring to the 1.8 tsi i believe both engines have the same torque so there is not a lot in it when it comes to performance. I'd go for the 1.4 as it's better value IMO

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
1.4 been faultless for me in the year and 18k that I've put on it already. Act works perfectly and really boosts fuel economy
There's a very subtle change in engine volume when it kicks in and a very slight kick when it disengages so overall very comfortable.

Off topic slighly, does anyone know why act isn't installed on the 1.8 and 2.0l engines? Just because you want 300 horses in a cupra doesn't necessarily mean a little better mpg isn't desirable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Off topic slighly, does anyone know why act isn't installed on the 1.8 and 2.0l engines?

my guess,

it wont be a major selling point for the 2l engines. Buying a GTI, cupra, etc you are buying those cars for performance not economy. Same reason you don't get a bluemotion GTi.

Also, it's new tech. They'll be testing it out on 1 engine first. Remember the twin charged 1.4 being the future, engine of the year, etc? See how that turned out.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
It's more to do with emissions than fuel economy, the difference between the 1.4 act and the older 1.4 non act in terms of actual fuel consumption is negligible

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
My understanding is that the 1.5TSi brings very little in terms of performance and economy, in fact some have said slightly less in the performance stakes, it's just a little more efficient as it has slightly improved emissions.

I have the 1.8Tsi and love it but I would def go for the 1.4 EcoTsi if I was doing any kind of mileage because for me it is such a good balance between performance and economy. Comparing the torque of the 2 engines is to some degree a little pointless, on the 1.8 the torque is available much higher up the rev range so you get that pull for much longer where the 1.4 would flat out earlier, obviously you also get the improved suspension and brakes with the 1.8 too...... or you did.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
My understanding is that the 1.5TSi brings very little in terms of performance and economy, in fact some have said slightly less in the performance stakes, it's just a little more efficient as it has slightly improved emissions.

The 1.5 TSI has a variable-geometry turbocharger which is normally something seen on much more expensive petrol cars like a Porsche 911. It also heats up faster than the old 1.4 TSI, so there are plenty of other benefits to having the new engine.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
The 1.5 TSI has a variable-geometry turbocharger which is normally something seen on much more expensive petrol cars like a Porsche 911. It also heats up faster than the old 1.4 TSI, so there are plenty of other benefits to having the new engine.

I am not denying that, however in practical terms, if you see little benefit in performance or economy then apart from a possible price hike, then for the average driver it does not mean a great deal.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
my guess,

it wont be a major selling point for the 2l engines. Buying a GTI, cupra, etc you are buying those cars for performance not economy. Same reason you don't get a bluemotion GTi.

Also, it's new tech. They'll be testing it out on 1 engine first. Remember the twin charged 1.4 being the future, engine of the year, etc? See how that turned out.
Yeah true however I love the idea of the cupra st for my next car in a year or 2s time. I'd love the extra power but given I do circa 20k a year the fuel bills will be astronomical. If act was employed and even raised the overall average by a few mpg to close the gap between the 1.4 and 2l that would make a big difference to the probability of getting one.

Was just curious and trying to justify it to myself lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

seadog

Feb 15, 2018
I have now driven both the 1.4 and 1.8 FR (on 17"s) and believe the 1.4 is actually more eager to rev and seems to be a lot punchier. Both cars were riding on 17s.

1.8 felt heavier and there was more turbo lag.
Can't say the handling was anything special.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
ah, the good old 'the lesser car is better than the better one' argument

these have been going on since the beginning of time. :snack:

showing my age here, but when i was a lad it was folk claiming their Fiesta 1.4S was just as fast as the XR2. :hide:

seadog

Feb 15, 2018
Depends on what is indicated by better.
the 1.8 is probably more tunable and has some torque locked away which a remap might unlock

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Depends on what is indicated by better.
the 1.8 is probably more tunable and has some torque locked away which a remap might unlock

1.4tsi/1.5tsi are much closer to compare for 1.2tsi/1.0tsi than to 1.8tsi what is much closer to Cupra than 1.4/1.5tsi cars.

1.8tsi manual has more torq than on the tech specs states, reality is ~280-300nm.
(Due the crappy DSG the torque is limited, but since the DSG is extra option, VAG dont want you to know that the cheaper manual model has more power than the DSG)

1.8tsi gives you not only multilink rear suspension,
but also better front suspension, with 55mm strut and lighter knuckle and bigger bearings.
And you can sure tell the difference, those small engine cars with the low cost cart axle do bounce around when the surface is not so smooth, sharp bumps especially makes them bounce and also when pushing it on a nice b-roads its just doesnt turn in so nicely, its lacks the chassis control that the 1.8tsi, 184tdi and the cupras have.

And also the better brakes, but to be honest, i think the ones on small engines are enough for the performance that the cars deliver.

About the 1.4tsi...it has quite short gearing and as it might give you the illusion of eager engine, dont just look the rev dial, its the speedo dial that matters.
But dont get me wrong...good engines for what it has been design...ECONOMIC, not performance as a key.

Oh and for example...APR map 1.8tsi is ~260ps /400nm+ and fuel consumption dropped 1litre/100km

I have been very happy for mine and i drive 25-30k in kilometres per year.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
After 18 months of driving various Ateca I fancied a change this afternoon when I finished work, so I took our newly-registered Leon 1.4 EcoTSI 150 home...

I'd forgotten just how much fun they are! So responsive, even with only double-figure mileage, and feels so much quicker than my Ateca with the same engine. For the first time in as long as I can remember I actually just went for a drive after dinner, testing out the handling on some of my favourite Cornish roads [B)]