Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
I ran some in mine over a few tanks, put in some expensive fuel and drove around in a lower gear than normal to keep the revs slightly higher and that seemed to help.

Or it was coincidence but good luck non the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers will give it a go :D

product_of_ozil

Jan 9, 2018
this issue effects FRs and any other vehicle with the 170pd tdi engine due to how the ecu works. it does not effect the 2.0 pd tdi 140 or the 1.9 pd tdis - they'll still run with a faulty injector.

the faulty injector spikes the ecu and shuts the fuelling - this also throws up a main power relay fault.

it effects vehicle built around 6/2006 to 6/2007 but that doesnt exclude any others from the fault.

seat technical or VW uk wont issue technical bullitens on the fault because:

a. they know little about the cause

b. are not willing to recognise it as a commmon problem

seat uk are pretty useless with any major issues like this, it has no real giveaway signs and can just occur out of the blue, as most of you guys have found.

please feel free to ask me anything about the issue as i've dealt with a few.
So is this the same for the vw scirroco 2.0 gt tdi 170 bhp?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
Ok,
I have done 2 tanks of fuel with injector cleaner in them.
Car still runs a bit lumpy on tick over.
If my leon fr has the later injectors any idea of the part number ?
Can i get the part number without taking the injector out of the car ?
Thanks for any replies.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Try going online to euro car parts or a parts website, put your reg in and look for injectors for it. Euro shows compatibility for the engine code so you should know for sure which ones are for your car.

Have you have it serviced? Mine cut out on it’s own for the first time in months the other day, was after a horrendous downpour so I think it’s related to water getting in somewhere.

MarcusJones93

Mar 6, 2018
I have a 58 plate Leon FR 2.0TDI PD170, engine code starts BMN. I called Seat and they say there was no recall for my car? A bit worried as I suddenly have white smoke on when its running cold.

I checked on euro car parts and it lists common rail injectors for a CEGA, could this be why they say theres no recall?

Any idea what else I could try?

Cheers!

Last edited:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
The CEGA injectors won’t fit your car surely if they’re for the common rail engine and yours is PD. They earliest CR models were 59 plates as far as I know.

Search this thread as people have shared links to stuff they have sent and the responses from seat to have this fixed.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Actually, isn’t white smoke turbo related anyway...?

Alan Armstrong

Nov 29, 2018
My Leon FR PD170 TDi was very hard to start and down on power and puting light blue smoke out, so i started with the cheaper option first I bought a second hand fuel vacum pump and changed it £40 , but still down on power so i went deeper took out injectors and they seemed to have been leaking badly so instead of changing the seals i went for seconhand injectors out of an FR PD170 TDi £100 lucky full power again and starting first kick hope this helps just my experience.

Reactions: auds2
Jan 24, 2023
Hi,
I'm not sure if anyone follows this thread anymore but my 2006 Seat Leon 2.0 Fr Tdi cut out on a busy road just before christmas,luckily there was a side turning ahead I could pull into.The breakdown man came and did a diagnostics test and it was pointing to low voltage in one of the injectors.Looking online I found this thread so I contacted Seat customer care who even though I explained it was not a proper recall they just kept saying sorry there's no recall on your car and told me to try my local Seat service centre who might know more but I basically got the same response and they said if I book it in we will charge you £168 to check the fault with the car and then find out if Seat would pay for it.I said no thanks I would rather know before I shell out £168.

So I'm sure mine is an affected car,I've owned from 2016,one previous owner that I think would have said if the injectors had been done.
The cars only done 85000 miles due to being furloughed during covid and was always looked after but is now basically scrap.

So do you think its to late now to get free replacement injectors, it would probably help if I could speak to someone at Seat/Vw that remembered the problem.

Attachments

• 20191029_103113.jpg
    20191029_103113.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20191029_101731.jpg
    20191029_101731.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20191029_103037.jpg
    20191029_103037.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 66
  • 20191029_102341.jpg
    20191029_102341.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 64

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Hi,
I'm not sure if anyone follows this thread anymore but my 2006 Seat Leon 2.0 Fr Tdi cut out on a busy road just before christmas,luckily there was a side turning ahead I could pull into.The breakdown man came and did a diagnostics test and it was pointing to low voltage in one of the injectors.Looking online I found this thread so I contacted Seat customer care who even though I explained it was not a proper recall they just kept saying sorry there's no recall on your car and told me to try my local Seat service centre who might know more but I basically got the same response and they said if I book it in we will charge you £168 to check the fault with the car and then find out if Seat would pay for it.I said no thanks I would rather know before I shell out £168.

So I'm sure mine is an affected car,I've owned from 2016,one previous owner that I think would have said if the injectors had been done.
The cars only done 85000 miles due to being furloughed during covid and was always looked after but is now basically scrap.

So do you think its to late now to get free replacement injectors, it would probably help if I could speak to someone at Seat/Vw that remembered the problem.

Check with Seat UK or a dealer if service campaign 23J6 "Piezo pump injector elements" is still open and if so whether your car is eligible. If your car has been in previously for this there would have been a sticker with the 23J6 code added to the boot floor under the carpet.

There's a good chance it is not open anymore though. There comes a point where it cannot be realistically argued that parts have failed prematurely. Regardless of mileage, at ~17 years old I think your car could well fall into that category.

Best of luck trying to get this sorted though (y)

Jan 24, 2023
Check with Seat UK or a dealer if service campaign 23J6 "Piezo pump injector elements" is still open and if so whether your car is eligible. If your car has been in previously for this there would have been a sticker with the 23J6 code added to the boot floor under the carpet.

There's a good chance it is not open anymore though. There comes a point where it cannot be realistically argued that parts have failed prematurely. Regardless of mileage, at ~17 years old I think your car could well fall into that category.

Best of luck trying to get this sorted though (y)

Thanks for taking the time to reply,I did not know about the sticker in the boot so I will check tomorrow.

Yes its a long shot with the age of the car but I will give it another go quoting the info you have gave me as there is nothing to lose.

Many Thanks.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.