Heard I'd be stung if I change car - rumour was true!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi,

I started my policy with Adrian Flux on 27th November 2016. So far I've paid the initial installment of £118.50 and the first payment of £86.92.

I now want to change to a Cupra R. Directline quoted me £240 cheaper for the year. Just got off the phone and my choices are... pay another £287 for the year or pay £155 to cancel my policy.

So effectively £360.42 for 5-6 weeks car insurance. I wished I'd never left Directline TBH and when I've paid off what I owe, I won't be coming back!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I guess its my own fault for not reading the small print. But as my total years car insurance is just under £900. £360 seems a bit steep to lose 5 weeks in. Was quite funny though... after discussing cancelling my car insurance for a much cheaper quote elsewhere. And to be fair, it was a very nice person I spoke to on the phone but "Can I interest you in any of our other products? Like House Insurance?".

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Iv just sold my Cupra R, and bought another car, Adrian flux just charged me an admin fee of £40 ish. Iv changed my car nemerous times mid policy over the last 4yrs with similar results again with Adrian flux

Will direct line cover for modifications & remaps etc

Last edited:

clag

Dec 28, 2016
I pay mine all in one and was able to swap to a leon fr diesel for just the £25 admin fee . Was shocked because its a hell of an upgrade to what i was driving before

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Iv just sold my Cupra R, and bought another car, Adrian flux just charged me an admin fee of £40 ish. Iv changed my car nemerous times mid policy over the last 4yrs with similar results again with Adrian flux

Will direct line cover for modifications & remaps etc

Guess I'm just really lucky. So to update, I paid the £286 over the phone and stayed with Adrian Flux. However, I've just got off the phone to DirectLine and started car insurance with them from Saturday midnight! Directline have quoted me for all my mods (plus a remap I'm getting the weekend) and still work out cheaper!

So tomorrow I'm going to be phoning up to cancel. They wanted £155 cancellation, so by my figuring I should get a refund of £131 thanks to the cash lump sum I just paid!

If its any different tomorrow I'll post back. But gotta say, I can't wait to get rid of em and go back to Directline! I had my FR with them for 2 years which had a Stage 1 and 14 modifications from handling to cosmetic and never had this stress!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So... just got off the phone and they can't cancel my policy over the phone... FFS... so I've had to email my cancellation notice, then phone back or wait it out.

If I'd paid the £155 cancellation it would have been over now, but as I've paid the £287, it extended my cover... so now my refund is £45!!! So I've just set fire to £315. If I'd have cancelled it instead of staying on, I'd have been £90 better off! Oh well, lesson learnt.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Epic! For a finale... I asked on the phone "Can I cancel it as of Midnight tomorrow?"... "Yes, just put it in writing".

Just got an email response saying its been cancelled as of now! Epic! Had they have said "No, it cancels immediately". I'd have called back tomorrow whilst my car was off the road all day!

Alsh

Jan 26, 2017
Leicester, UK
Wow, what an absolute farse. I'll be ringing up in the next few days to cancel so glad I've found this thread, now I know what to expect! Glad you've managed to get out in the end though. :rofl:

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
I've been with Adrian Flux for years and years, joined with them through the Ford Focus Owners club, always been competitive. I paid upfront (as i usually do) in Feb for my years insurance on my MK2 focus £355 fully comp. I knew i needed a replacement but wasnt sure how fast i would get one.

eventually settled on my current leon, asked AF how much it would be... £171 to change! so a total of £526 for the year! Told them i wasnt happy and wanted to cancel the insurance and move to somewhere i knew was cheaper. my refund would have been half of the total amount which i wasnt happy with again but what can you do? They offered to waive the admin fee so i save a tiny bit of money but Im still unhappy. Also its the first time they wanted me to actually post them my mileage! as i only do up to 4k a year.

I will be bringing these factors up come renewal time 2018....

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing problems. If you could PM me some details I'd be keen to look into this.

Kind Regards
Dan

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
@Dan

it appears i currently cannot send PM's this may be due to a post limit on the forum. until that passes im not sure how you'd like to proceed.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
@Dan

it appears i currently cannot send PM's this may be due to a post limit on the forum. until that passes im not sure how you'd like to proceed.

In that case you'd be best to speak to the service team. They can be contacted on 0344 381 6502.

Dan

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
That's shocking and a real eye opener, very poor service. Makes me wonder whether to renew when the time comes if I'd face this kind of hassle and rip off costs for changes/cancellations.

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
This happened to me when i bought my leon a few months ago it went up almost £180 so i went from paying 42 a month to 85ish a month, i asked them to split the difference that i had to pay over the remaining months (at the time this was 8 months left) they said that was fine but this didnt take effect for 2/3 months so i got stung a couple months later with the payments increasing

i also went from living in an area with a bad rep and parking the car on the street to moving to a nicer area with a driveway and somehow the price stayed the same? also the email i got explaining the costs once i changed address showed the full insurance price but only showed a few months that its covered for, badly layout email

i just dont get how insurance companies come up with their prices sometimes

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I've ran quotes through AF a few times in the past, never been competitive for me. However since Admiral group are no longer providing me with quotes because I'm about to enter my renewal period and they're usually the cheapest by far I ran a quote with AF as well as other more bespoke insurers for my 1.8TSI Ibiza Cupra, they provided me with a 'provsional' quote of £25 cheaper than Admiral, however they said if I give them a call there's a 75% chance it'll be cheaper, happy days then if that's the case.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members