Arona is awesome

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Just orered my 2nd Arona (FR), our first arrived early January (SE).

Gave the SE to my wife and I have an FR Sport on the way. I love them and the 1.0 115 is a great little engine with the DSG attached!

:D

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Glad to here that just found out my SE technology will be here early was not due till 31st march just told them don't want till 1st march on a 18 Plate

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
Likewise, good to hear positive feedback on the Arona from an owner and not just car reviewers. Even better that you like it that much you've ordered another !

We've got an SE Tech DSG on order so great to hear the engine/gearbox combo works well @MATTCR. Got any photos of yours you could post..?

I'd be interested to know when you ordered your Arona @Briant566 for it to have arrived early.

We ordered ours mid December and have been given a prov build week 8 so expecting mid March delivery. Hopefully a bit earlier now then if Seat production is moving quicker as I noticed the backlog of Leons on the other forum seems to be reducing.

Exciting times waiting for delivery of a new car..

Last edited:

olliechambers1

Jan 2, 2018
Lancashire/Berkshire
We ordered ours mid December and have been given a prov build week 8 so expecting mid March delivery. Hopefully a bit earlier now then if Seat production is moving quicker as I noticed the backlog of Leons on the other forum seems to be reducing.

I ordered a FR Sport with the 1.5 engine on the 26th December and I've just found out that my confirmed build week is week 12. My dealer has said that it usually takes 5 weeks from the confirmed build week until handover (excluding any dealer fitted stuff).

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Likewise, good to hear positive feedback on the Arona from an owner and not just car reviewers. Even better that you like it that much you've ordered another !

We've got an SE Tech DSG on order so great to hear the engine/gearbox combo works well @MATTCR. Got any photos of yours you could post..?

I'd be interested to know when you ordered your Arona @Briant566 for it to have arrived early.

From JCT600 order date 20th November delivery was down as 31st March but should be here in three weeks !

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
Our estimate sounds about right based on your 2 order dates.
Fingers crossed we get a confirmed build week soon to stay on track for a mid March delivery.

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK

Our SE is just the standard Desire Red which seems to be their standard/off the shelf colour. No need for boring pics lol.

My FR on the other hand is monsoon grey with black roof/mirrors ;)

The seats in the SE are dreadful but they are fine for my wifes needs. Much better in the FR (plus the FR has black headlining too).

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
We've gone for Desire Red too with black roof. Red seems to be the in-colour atm judging by all the tv car ads.

I must admit the SE seats did feel a bit boggo on our test drive, being used to Leon FR seats, and the whole cabin in the FR Sport showroom model felt premium compared to the SE.

The grey will look smart with black roof. There was an Eclipse Orange FR in our local dealers the other day with a black roof and that looked the knees of the bees.

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
MPG is something I am watching closely at the moment. When filled right up (40L) the computer is displaying 310 miles... this is quite dissapointing since the official figures quote 40-60mpg, the actual calculated figure for our car is 35mpg based on our fill ups. This is 30 miles a day motorway, some A roads. I'd still expect over 350, and even 400 from this engine?

Interested to hear your experiences when you all take delivery of yours.

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
My wife is the main driver and she's far from ambitious, very gentle on the throttle. 30 miles a day on motorway to work.

Will see if it improves with more miles...

Last edited:

Goodolpete

Jan 22, 2018
MPG is something I am watching closely at the moment. When filled right up (40L) the computer is displaying 310 miles... this is quite dissapointing since the official figures quote 40-60mpg, the actual calculated figure for our car is 35mpg based on our fill ups. This is 30 miles a day motorway, some A roads. I'd still expect over 350, and even 400 from this engine?
Interested to hear your experiences when you all take delivery of yours.
Hi,
I have an extremely light right foot, and have the instant mpg display on
when I drive, but I was getting upper 30s. I noticed that the mpg improved
when I had cruise control on. Now I put CC on whenever possible, and my
mpg is about 45. This car can drive itself better than I can.
Pete.

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Hi Pete, haha, my wife is scared of CC. She doesnt even know how to put it on, bless.

From our latest fill up we've managed approx 290 miles from the tank. Quite poor so it will be going into SEAT next week, or after our next tank if it doesn't improve.

Goodolpete

Jan 22, 2018
Hi Pete, haha, my wife is scared of CC. She doesnt even know how to put it on, bless.
From our latest fill up we've managed approx 290 miles from the tank. Quite poor so it will be going into SEAT next week, or after our next tank if it doesn't improve.
Yes 33 mpg is low. Do you change up gear when suggested by the car?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've got the Ibiza SC with the same engine....1.0 TSI (DSG though).

The first 1k miles is not very economical, as the engine is still bedding in (still have friction etc). after 1k it seems better and smoother.

This particular engine seems to love to drink Esso 97. I get the best mpg and smoothness with this particular type of fuel. Other regular 95 grade fuel are not bad, but even though once I gave it Shell V Power 99 grade, it still wants Esso 97. I have only filled the car up with Shell, Esso, Jet, BP and Momentum 99, no supermarket standard petrol.

Official figures wise, the Arona is about 8-9 mpg down on Ibiza with same engine.

You 'may' be able to get the below mpg figures minus 8-10 mpg realistically, once the engine has bedded in.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438541

On Cruise control @ 65-70mph flatish road, I see between 48-53mpg fluctuating on the info. Perhaps you may see mid 45-48mpg on the info for Arona.

Also what petrol did you put in? Please dont say supermarket one? Perhaps give it some Esso 97 and see if anything improves? Also cold weather doesn't help. Ideal temperature for engine is around the 12-15 degrees mark.

The difference can be about 5mpg (all things being equal on the road). Last Sun, I did 46mpg my usual Sunday drive from East to West London via central (13 miles). Few weeks before when it was 'milder' I could do about 51mpg.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My wife is the main driver and she's far from ambitious, very gentle on the throttle. 30 miles a day on motorway to work.

Will see if it improves with more miles...

Out of curiosity, Motorway would be 40-50mph zones or 70mph zones? If heavy rush hour traffic, low 30s is not too bad. (I get this figure on my 1.0TSI Ibiza in central london mid-heavy traffic). If free flowing little traffic, by the end of the journey you should see at least low 40s.

Are you 100% sure your wife uses that 6th gear? Wait does it have a 6th?

If you accelerate a lot, mpg will plummet, if you keep steady eddie pace at 40-60mph it can be very economical. Definately over 50 mpg.

Also if too gentle, labouring the engine, it won't be economical either. Should aim to change up around or just over the 2k rpm mark on these TSI engines. Old School NA engines...a bit higher up the revs.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/seat/arona/101768/seat-arona-vs-citroen-c3-aircross-vs-kia-stonic

The Autoexpress tester achieved just over 41mpg. I guess if one is driving it 'normally' light to medium foot change up around 2k+ rpm, this is what you can expect to get consumption wise.

If one is driving in free flowing traffic around 40-60mph, I would supect you can get a average trip figure closer to 50mpg.

Don't forget the official figures are done in a lab, on a dyno (eg...treadmill for cars), in 'perfect conditions' for max mpg, most economical rim size/tyres combo, and of course..no traffic!

Can these figures be achieved in the real world, very rarely, perhaps 3am at night when there is no traffic few traffic lights. During more socialble hours, forget it.

I once did Reading to East London via central London late evening on New Years day, avoiding M4/M3 instead the back 'more fun' roads that had speed limit of 40-60mph but NO CARS at all, and only the odd traffic light. Trip computer showed 56mpg. If I didn't need to go via central, would be closer to 60. I know it's different cars (same engine though), but if conditional are right, it's possible.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Its 7 speed DSG.... and she sticks to speed limits. 70 on motorway.

Does she see around 45-48mpg on the trip computer fluctuating or there abouts at those speeds? Tyre pressures on point? From experience when I got my new car, came with 2-3 psi higher than the recommended max pressures (when cold).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members