Passenger Side Rear Door Will Not Open!

shorn

Jan 13, 2007
Ahh thanks, I shall give that a go in trying to open it! I phoned Kwik Fit this morning, (purely cos I need to get MOT done asap) and they said that the rear door not opening would fail the MOT. So I called a local MOT centre that could potentially do the repair as well and the stated that the rear door not opening is classed as an advisory. He even went away to check it. Booked in tomorrow so hopefully should go through OK!

shorn

Jan 13, 2007
Well the car went through the MOT. The guy came in and said they were in a bit of confusion over it. They said that if you follow the MOT manual to the letter then it is an advisary as it only states the passenger front door. However the said that they need to check all doors for corrosion around the shuts, so therefore they should theoretically resfuse to MOT it as they would not be able to open the door when doing their pre MOT checks.

He gave me an advisary, and passed it though! :)

Now im hoping tackle this a bit later in the week, will be trying to get th edoor panel off and have a look inside! Will probably be posting more questions when I get to that stage!

shorn

Jan 13, 2007
I looking into this again now, got some leaking seals that i'm gonna fix today. (different door) The reason that its taken so long is that shortly after i posted and had the MOT it started working again ? And now its stopped. However it specifically stopped after i used the standard key to unlock drivers side, so im thinking there might be some electrical fault? Seems strange for it to start working again for a short period, surely if something like the central locking mech had failed it would have stayed failed, correct?

shorn

Jan 13, 2007
OK, managed to get the inner door panel off, broke a few clips along the way but to be expected!

Heres the inside...

4304128130_5d40e9af72_o.jpg

Is there anything I can test further with the panel off? For info thhis door has never had any leaks, so I wouldn't initially put a failed central locking mech down to moisture, not to say that it hasnt failed for some other reason!

Not sure what else to do/try from here, as would prefer to fault test everything possible before having to take it in somewhere!

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Try giving the outside handle a hard but firm hit with the palm of your hand.

It solved my rear drivers door from having a "double-pull" to open.

chris.reid

Hi everyone, iv'e got the same problem with my 03 Leon. The other day i set off for college, came back as i forgot something but when i got back into my car the catch mechanism wouldn't close, therefore i could not actually close the door. I spent hours ringing round breakers trying to get a second hand one just so i could secure my car, did eventually get one, tested it out n that before i installed it, but as soon as i connected it to the electrics and locked the car the door wouldn't open again when i unlocked it. I can hear the mechanism locking and unlocking. Iv'e been told it could be the microswitch or frayed wires. as ive said its the second lock its broke now which is what is leading me to beleive it is an electrical problem. also when i took the door card off i found a paddle type thing in the bottom of the door that looks like its snapped off the back of the lock barrel in the door, and when i put the key in the lock it turns but doesn't do a thing... can someone please help me, iv'e only had the car a month and was just warming up to it as well..