Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
Since I had 1 injector replaced they carried out an ecu update and now I have a flat spot when pulling away I have had the vehicle back to the dealer and they say that the ecu can not be returned to the previous version so I'm not happy about it and need to phone customer care again and see what the say.

The injector problem us also known in other countrys. The software update reduces injection quantity to reduce carbon build up on the nozzle tips which are most responsible for the known problems.
On a dyno a "pre update" car had 185hp/393Nm, after the software update these numbers reduced to quite exact official numbers, 170hp/350Nm.

I guess thats the power loss you feel now.

Customer service is right, they cant Put on the old software because then you would suffer from carbon build up again.

Regards, Alex

Last edited:

spacedmonkeys

Jan 4, 2010
Birmingham
The injector problem us also known in other countrys. The software update reduces injection quantity to reduce carbon build up on the nozzle tips which are most responsible for the known problems.
On a dyno a "pre update" car had 185hp/393Nm, after the software update these numbers reduced to quite exact official numbers, 170hp/350Nm.

I guess thats the power loss you feel now.

Customer service is right, they cant Put on the old software because then you would suffer from carbon build up again.

Regards, Alex

So.... I should not have put my remap back on after they did the injectors?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
A friend of mine has just Contacted Skoda UK about his Octavia

He has an Injector replaced last year and had to pay for it, Skoda UK have just agreed to refund him the full money and also...Replace the 3 other injectors and Loom

smegma

Mine cut out on the M1 on Friday on our way to my dad's 70th. Got the RAC to drop us at Milton Keynes SEAT and continued by train. They were great - did a quick diagnostic and said it was indeed the injectors. They were confident Seat would pay and said they had just heard that week that they should offer all 4 + wiring loom + ECU. I should find out today or tomorrow.

Jim

DJXFM

Sounds like the Milton Keynes lot are quite switched on! My local dealership had no idea about Seat making any kind of contribution despite seeing these jobs "once or twice a month". It's off tomorrow to have the diagnosis.

Incidentally, does anyone know how long the fault codes stay on the onboard computer? I have hardly been driving mine since the fault first came up over a week ago and so there hasn't been a re-occurrence. When they plug the car into their system will it come up with no faults?!

DJXFM

I am trying to get mine booked in today.

I still don't understand why no recall has been issued.

Too expensive?? I dunno how these things work but I guess replacing all injectors and wiring looms on every FR produced worldwide would cost a bomb! Instead they can hope they get away with it and take a hit on those that people like us bother to bring to their attention.

I agree it's an expensive recall, but the fact it could put peoples lives in danger is what they should be worried about.

They said they will check if there is any fault on mine, which I guess they might not be - but I'm still hopeful they might be changed. End of the day Seat UK is paying for them, so I presume they will still receive a labour payment.

smegma

Just heard that they'll pay for the lot on mine. The guy on the phone reassured me that the newer injectors coupled with a new wiring loom should prevent it happening again - do we know if this is accurate?

Jim

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Jim, time will tell I think.

I think most cars impacted are 06 - 07 vehicles so possible when the next time age related issues start arising many of them will be cans, aeroplanes or other cars completely!! Obviously thats based on a life of 8 to 10 years for cars.

As for recall based on the VOSA letter it must of been proven by VAG that it wasn't a life threatening failure or a recall would be made across the VAG range effected.

jzr

Hi guys, my car cut out on sat. Went to pick the car up from recovery place car was still dead towed it all the way home 150 miles to my local seat place. Tried the car it started took it down the road an bk fine.

Then said I will bring it bk in next for the diagnostics an left, car then cut out once again. Started it fin an has been fine for 20 miles.

Do this sound like a injector fault

Interesting call today from an un-named dealer at the moment.

I e-mailed them outlining my concerns, I received a phone call from the Service Manager who asked for my reg, mileage and if it had full service history. To which I replied 'Yes, it is full seat'.

I got told that they will contact me tomorrow, so I'm not sure what the next step is. To me - it sounds like the injectors will be replaced.

jzr

Just did a scan on mine with a snap on ethos

Got thes faults

P1517
P2146
P1040

Is this the fault with the injectors. Gotta be honest my wife won't go near the car now she was scared sh it less when failed at speed in the fast lane

DJXFM

I had P1040 and P2146 when I took my motor to a local garage for diagnosis. They told me it was the injectors. SEAT yet to confirm for me though.

jzr

Mine won't bloody start mind.

I am not happy with green flag either, there computer Came up with nothing. My mate popped round with his kit he's not even a fully time mechanic just likes playing with cars an his picked it up. It was only 699 . If a break down company can't be assed to buy new gear what's the point in using them.

DJXFM

Yep, mine is an injector problem too as confirmed by my dealership today. Are they gonna fix it? Nope. It's sporadic they say so they don't know which one is faulty and therefore they don't know what to replace. I need to wait for the engine to stop on the motorway again before they can diagnose the problem.

I phoned Seat UK customer services again who were once again very helpful and friendly. They said they authorised the replacement of all 4 injectors and the wiring loom but the dealership were still not happy enough to carry out the work. I explained that I wasn't happy that the only time they could draw any conclusions was when the engine stops on me again and customer services were very understanding and are going to be back in touch with the dealers again. Hopefully I might get a fully functioning car back!

jzr

I spoke to seat uk this morning, told them what had happened they said I hav to take it to seat dealer bla bla, I told them it's a safety issue she wouldn't replie. So gotta wait for my seat garage to scan the car. But they are busy till next bloody week. I am a bit peed off to be honest.

I thought vag cars were well built but I don't think so any more

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.