dump valve springs?

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
aup

i have not long purchased a 007dv and a friend of mine asked what spring is in it. he mentioned you can have different strength springs depending on the power of the car and the boost its running. a spring too weak can leak boost and loose power etc.

jus wondered whether a 007dv off the shelf would be fine for a mapped cupra r? im sure it would and guessing that you could need uprated springs if its for cars with massive power?

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
It should come with a green spring inside it and you'll need a yellow for a stage 1 map. However mine had a yellow already inside it. So just check what yours has

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
This sounds like it could be quite an issue - how are we meant to know which spring is recommended for a remap and whether the one you order has the right one?! Is there a FAQ or part numbers?

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
This is off the forge web site

The strongest spring is the red, followed by the blue, yellow and finally the green which is the weakest. The spacers enable you to fine tune the settings between two spring tensions if required.

We normally supply our valves, unless requested differently, with a spring that will match the tension of the manufacturer’s original fitment valve. However, as many owners undertake tuning modifications some may wish to re-tune the valve characteristics to suit a given application.

If you are finding that the valve is dumping more than required or you are loosing boost pressure it is normally an indication that a stronger spring is required. Conversely if the valve is failing to dump it may be necessary to install a weaker spring. If during this tuning of your valve you are faced for example with the red spring being to strong and the blue spring to weak, you can add the spacers to the blue spring to increase the tension by small increments, thus achieving a setting between the red and blue springs.

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
aup

i have not long purchased a 007dv and a friend of mine asked what spring is in it. he mentioned you can have different strength springs depending on the power of the car and the boost its running. a spring too weak can leak boost and loose power etc.

jus wondered whether a 007dv off the shelf would be fine for a mapped cupra r? im sure it would and guessing that you could need uprated springs if its for cars with massive power?

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
From forge motorsport

The strongest spring is the red, followed by the blue, yellow and finally the green which is the weakest. The spacers enable you to fine tune the settings between two spring tensions if required.

We normally supply our valves, unless requested differently, with a spring that will match the tension of the manufacturer’s original fitment valve. However, as many owners undertake tuning modifications some may wish to re-tune the valve characteristics to suit a given application.

If you are finding that the valve is dumping more than required or you are loosing boost pressure it is normally an indication that a stronger spring is required. Conversely if the valve is failing to dump it may be necessary to install a weaker spring. If during this tuning of your valve you are faced for example with the red spring being to strong and the blue spring to weak, you can add the spacers to the blue spring to increase the tension by small increments, thus achieving a setting between the red and blue springs.

Esc

this valve was gonna be my next mod, thanks for the heads up of different springs!!!!
Ricky keep us updated after its fitted if you can feel any difference, cheers!!!

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
You'll notice a big difference as it will hold the boost alot better and it will sound alot better then the standard DV. Nothing over the top or chavy, but just a nicer sound when it dumps. I started off with a bailey DV but had problems with it sticking as it has a plastic plunger not a spring. Iv had no problems with the forge 007p

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
just unscrewed top of valve and it looks like a green valve if anything. not very green mind!?

my lcr is mapped to 260ish so hope it doesnt leak boost!

im gettin it fitted on tuesday so will keep you posted.

andycupra

status subject to change
the colouring is not that evident on the springs.

despite whats said on here, the green spring should be fine for a remapped LCR. If you understand how a dv works, you will understand that you should not need a stronger spring if you run more boost.

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
so how does a dv work? my understanding is its releases pressure from the turbo. if the spring is too weak it releases the pressure early before reaching top boost. this not the case? why then have different colour springs at all?

remap was by race evo uk.

not had it on the rolling road and car didnt come with a graph only a receipt showing power changes so map is yet to be confirmed but car pulls well so im sure something has been done.

turbin

all depends how you install it. My peak boost is around 23psi. Vertical, green is ok, but horizontal installation I needed the blue spring. Its all how the return boost press against the spring. Perpendicular or in-line.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
so how does a dv work? my understanding is its releases pressure from the turbo. if the spring is too weak it releases the pressure early before reaching top boost. this not the case? why then have different colour springs at all?

remap was by race evo uk.

not had it on the rolling road and car didnt come with a graph only a receipt showing power changes so map is yet to be confirmed but car pulls well so im sure something has been done.

they hold the boost ok.. as i understand it it more down to the speed the dv opens and closes. im running the equivalent to the green stock forge 007p spring with 320bhp.

turbin

no, horizontally the return pressure press directly against the spring. Vertical its like the bosh valve. Return pressure act perpendicular to the valve spring. Not the same force.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Ok, tbh I'm not 100% sure what turbin is saying - I know you can install the other way around to change the noise of them...

...but is the general consensus to go for the green or yellow spring? Thanks.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi remaps like Revo and CC need a stronger yellow spring
Not all of them do , in fact the APR stage 3 that APR designed ran a standard DV on it for quite a while
Sarah

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.