Engine Management Light On

hardyj

Snake
Jun 6, 2005
Southampton
Hi everyone,

Engine Management light came on last week. Car did not feel any different to me personally. Took it to the stealers for a Diagnostic Check and VAG-COM found the following 2 sporatic faults:

17705 P1297 035
Connection charger-throttle valve
Pressure drop
sporatic

17544 P1136 035
Bank1, mixture adaption (add.)
System too lean

The stealers cleared the faults as they could not find a problem. Next day I went to work and just as I pull into the petrol station to fill up... the light comes on again.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? If so what needs to be done and will it be expensive?

Thinking about getting myself a VAG-COM as its £25 a pop for just a diagnostics check. How much do they go for... Roughly £100 i heard.

Cheers

James

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
£25 doesn't sound too bad at all to be honest. But I'd want more down than just clearing the faults, clearing doesn't make them go away I'm afraid. As you've said, they've come straight back. If your dealer has just cleared them, take your business elsewhere.

jetski

just type the codes in the search engine at the top mate, theres loads on 17544 - sounds like the MAF, i had the same one code and the new MAF cured it. less than 5 mins to fit yourself with 2 screwdrivers

hardyj

Snake
Jun 6, 2005
Southampton
just type the codes in the search engine at the top mate, theres loads on 17544 - sounds like the MAF, i had the same one code and the new MAF cured it. less than 5 mins to fit yourself with 2 screwdrivers

Cheers for the advice guys...

How much would a new MAF cost?

jetski

mine was £52 plus VAt. got it at cost through a mate in the trade, i guess you'd probably pay about £20 more at retail prices but shop around.

Balham

Sounds very similar to a problem that I've had recently. Engine management light came on and man in a van came round to plug in the diagnostic equipment and had the same message about mixture too lean on bank 1. The fault code has been cleared and now the warning light seems to go off and on again intermittently?!

Went to see a mechanic mate at the weekend, and disconnecting the MAF seemed to cure the problem (was hesitating slightly at lower revs, defintley not pulling as well as it used to). I gather the MAF is a common fault so will see if changing that does the trick. Had REVO instaleld a couple of years ago - guess the extra oomph may be taking its toll??

Cheers,
Balham

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.