Common Mk4 Problems

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Took mine in yesterday as a bubble has appeared in the paint on the rear tailgate near to the Seat badge. Wasn't their a week ago when I washed the car.

Looks like it will blister up and then form rust. It's getting slightly larger each day with the wet/cold weather up here.

They took photo's yesterday to see if Seat would fix it under warranty. I mentioned paint issues when I first bought the car and their won't be any 'if' about fixing it as i'm severely pi$$ed off with the issue's i've had fixed since buying it, including a new alloy.

Outstanding niggles:

1. Also need to look at why the engine fan keeps coming on for a split second along with the climate panel flashing.
2. Slight clunking on the front end when turning over a rough surface.
3. Vibration noise when clutch is pressed to the floor, sounds like release bearing.

Mine (57 Cupra TDI) pulls to the left slightly but nothing i'm concerned with, feels more like it's following the camber and is not as bad as the scooby.

C12HLL

Jan 2, 2008
Glasgow
The headlamps fogging up is a common problem on most makes of car now. This is down to the atmosphere inside plastic lensed headlamps.
Which most manufacturers now use. Honda actually released a bulletin which detailed puttin silica gel packs into the headlamp casing to absorb the moisture.

Also the Cupra's pulling to the left is common on most cars when what are standard cars are fitted with wider rims and tyres. Its normally down to the tyres tram lining more. Basically the wider track means it accentuates the camber on the road more. Many people complain but you'll find thats what SEAT will use as an explanation.

Only my ideas as to whats up having worked with a few other manufacturers warranties.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Had word back the bubble in the paint which is now 3 times the size than it was will be repaired under warranty on the 15th-17th. Not like they could get away with it on a 57 plate car! Other issues will be looked at while it's in.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
got a weird problem with my rear wiper searched on here cant find anything!
it will squirt washer but the wiper arm wont move
but if i play with the trip computer (changing display to MPG, Trip Time, Clock etc) or pressing the reset button on the stalk sometimes it starts working, makes me belive its not the motor itself its the swich since its all on the same stalk
any thoughts?

Oh also since i had new tyres fitted on front car seems to pull to left, but fella that fitted them says its not the tracking
whatelse could it be?

Last edited:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
1. Also need to look at why the engine fan keeps coming on for a split second along with the climate panel flashing.

The climate control panel flashing is a fault. Had it on mine and they fixed faulty air-con sensor under warranty.

CHR15-53AT

Just recently ive noticed a strage rubbing / squeaking noise coming from the front wipers as they go up / reach the right hand side of the screen. I popped the bonnet to see if something was caught on part of the arms but cant see anything. I think it might be rubbing on the bonnet release cable, because i can see a clip that is not holding anything. Anyone else ever come across this? I will post a pic if i can get a good shot to show exactly what i mean.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Car went in yesterday morning for the paint work (bubble) to be repaired on the tailgate along with, clutch rattle when depressed, noisy 2nd gear when coming off the accelerator, smashed engine cover from new, faulty climate control/radiator fan and ABS fault according to VAG-COM.

Supposed to take 2 days so will chase them tomorrow. What do I get in the mean time, the most awful god damn slow car that was ever manufactured. 1.4 Petrol Ibiza Stylance. Argh. I do 70 miles a day travelling from sea level up and over 1000ft to get home and it does NOT do hills.

Put my foot down in 4th when I got it and nothing happened?? lol 3rd wasn't much better.

The Ginge

Black Magic 2003 SEAT Ibiza 3 Door TDi Sport 130 with Leather Seats

Just had done:

* New front wishbone bushes
* New rear wiper motor
* Cam belt (But that was standard 55K job)

Under warranty a couple of years ago, a new Air Con Compresser (Car barely 2 years old at that point) and also a new radiator as it was leaking coolant.

To add to my previous post last year, gearbox problems, selector fork went and did a tour of the gearbox. Needed to be reconditioned and also a new clutch in there as well, the clutch was 50/50 but decided to replace it as might have to keep the car for a few more years yet and it wasn't going to cost any extra labour.

Won't buy another unless I get warranty thrown in over and above what is left of the standard warranty. Choice for the dealer will be simple, do that or I won't buy one! I'll be off to the Honda garage instead!

Fangio

Apr 20, 2007
Tdi 130 Fr:
Electric door mirrors packed up due to a crimped wire in production.
Total loss of coolant once again a production problem as a clip had been badly fitted.
Both fixed more or less efficiently under warranty.
Other than a pulling to the left which I think will be fixed by alignment there have been no problems.
It'd be nice to have a boot light which seems a strange thing not to have; the brakes are too heavy(a problem I reckon caused because us brits drive on the wrong side of the road); there is a lot of wind noise.
Other than that it is a cracking little car and well made too. In fact much better built than the Saabs' I've owned previously.
It is supposed to have traction control but the threshold is set so high it hardly ever kicks in - this car was made for its' home market and shows that distinctly.
The climate control is first rate and really effective apart from needing to take both eyes off the road to adjust it.
It's a gutsy little number with a bit of character that could easily be made very good indeed.
I'd look forward to a new model that got rid of the road noise which is the cars biggest let down.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Seems Ive just joined the rear washer club :( never happened on my first one, but missus B mentioned it (again) today, so whilst she was vaccing the car out, i topped up the fluids and tested it.. front is/are fine, rear wiper moves but the wateretc comes out from the channel under the front passenger area ( car was admittedly on slight incline on drive ) felt in and arond boot , but all seems dry
looks like one of my days off in the near future will be spent down at the delaers :(

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
Took mine in yesterday as a bubble has appeared in the paint on the rear tailgate near to the Seat badge. Wasn't their a week ago when I washed the car.

Looks like it will blister up and then form rust. It's getting slightly larger each day with the wet/cold weather up here.

They took photo's yesterday to see if Seat would fix it under warranty. I mentioned paint issues when I first bought the car and their won't be any 'if' about fixing it as i'm severely pi$$ed off with the issue's i've had fixed since buying it, including a new alloy.

Outstanding niggles:

2. Slight clunking on the front end when turning over a rough surface.
3. Vibration noise when clutch is pressed to the floor, sounds like release bearing.

Mine (57 Cupra TDI) pulls to the left slightly but nothing i'm concerned with, feels more like it's following the camber and is not as bad as the scooby.

My wife has just got rid of her Ibiza 1.2 due to all the problems she had. And one of them was a vibration and clunking when turning on full lock. It went in to the dealers about 5 times. She has just got an altea with OEM roofbars thrown in for free.:lol:

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Greekakd: I just get the odd clunk when turning either way over a rough surface like something is catching. When it went it for the tailgate they said the front suspension mounts were not torqued up correctly so re-torqued them. It's a little better but still does it. It's booked in for it's first service shortly and mentioned it again to be looked at. I'll keep mentioning it until they fix it.

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
Our local dealer tightened bits up and adjusted the subframe a couple of times and still no good. So we passed it on.[:@]

jay.ing

Red Blur (And soot!)
Nov 17, 2007
Southport, Merseyside
Ive had a knocking noise from my suspension, drop links were replaced and the noise went away.

Got a squeek/knock from the right front suspension, i think its the strut mount but not sure, its goin in on the 22 feb for a look over, they are also looking at my front-rear bushes as there cracked and perrished!

Last time it went in they didn't put the engine tray back properly and when i went through a Fjord and ripped it off :censored: wasnt happy, middle of lake district!!!!!!

various fastners missing!

Had my window seals replaced due to wind noise, they didnt fit the passenger one properly and the window kept going up and down!!!!!

Heating hoses behind the engine have chaffed through and nearly emptied the engine of water!!!!

EGR valve replaced because of reduced MPG and Hessitation at 2000 RPM

Passenger seat pan was replaced cos it didnt move forward

Vibration when bracking was rectified, due to warped discs!

And finally my headlights were replaced because they had dust/dirt on the inner lens!

All this on an 06 130 PD FR, replaced under warrenty thank God :clap: and ive only had it since late October!!!!! :censored:

The Hoose

Problems I've had with my 54reg 1.2 12v:
-Rear suspension bushes completely worn, had them replace 2 months after my warranty expired >£200
-Rear washer hose disconnecting - fixed myself

I've got a problem with the engine noise. It sounds really grumpy when revving, like a gravelly noise, but only when it's in gear. My mate listened to it and reckons its either the fan, or something need tightening in the engine. I haven't noticed any change in performance, or any faults. Has anyone else had this problem, or heard of it? I don't know if it's coincidence, but it only started when I passed a gritting wagon on the M6 just before xmas.

YorkIbiza

Jan 8, 2008
York, North Yorkshire
Had my 04 reg 1.2 12v for 7 months now and only have one/two (think they maybe connected) intermitent faults:

Every now and then when I let my revs drop, say to reverse onto my drive, my power steering light comes on and my steering goes really heavy as if I have no power steering and other times the light comes on and there is no difference?

Also if im driving around normally and need to put my dip beam on or wind down my windows my cd player will switch itself off and all the lights will flicker, will this be down to my engine size or will there be an electrical fault somewhere?

Any help would be much apprecieated because I dont want to pay a dealer to tell me they cant find any faults!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Also if im driving around normally and need to put my dip beam on or wind down my windows my cd player will switch itself off and all the lights will flicker, will this be down to my engine size or will there be an electrical fault somewhere?

sounds like you have a fault there. i used to have a 1.2 which the dash lights flickered on and the dealer said it was either the switch or the cluster.......so either a £10-15 fix or a £500 fix!!!

The Beltsander

I have a brand new mk4 and the Front lights are already fogging up. Must be a common seat trait...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members