GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I have the B version and it all works without issue. All you'll have to do is dremel (or other generic cutting tool) out part of the front of the double din slot.

gareth6278

seat leon FR'07 with MFD3 sat nav

Hi,im new to the seat forum i have a new leon fr '07 ,im interested in buying a sat nav unit to replace my factory fit radio ive seen on Ebay the above MFD2/MFD3 units please could someone advise me what accesories i need to buy or will the unit just plug straight in to my dash,does it matter if i buy a VW / Skoda unit....thanks

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
All this is already in the thread but...

You DON'T want a Skoda unit, as the illuminations are green. VW or SEAT MFD3 (RNS510) is what you want. The MFD2 is a much older design and no-where near as versatile as the new unit, hence the price difference.

To fit a SEAT unit you don't need to do anything other than plugin the GPS ariel and slap it on top of the double din slot.

To fit a VW unit you'll have to cut away part of the slot in the middle within the dash (using a dremel or similar) and also a bit at the back to give room for the gps ariel connector which sticks out a bit. The bit at the front is because the SD card slot sticks out at the bottom.

You'll need a new facia to fit around the new stereo and 3/4 clips to hold it on - cost of about £7/8 in parts. Parts are in this thread.

Gsamp99

Hi all, still a newbie and have few questions.
I've got a 57 plate Jan 2008 (I think) cupra and want to install a sat nav unit. I think i will go for the standard Seat Unit as it seems the easiest to install.
I have factory bluetooth, so will this still work?
Steering wheel controls, will they still work?
The Aux connection, will that still be connected without changing anything?
Is it a fairly simple plug an play install, or do i need any lead adapters,
i know i have to install the antenna.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Hi all, still a newbie and have few questions.
I've got a 57 plate Jan 2008 (I think) cupra and want to install a sat nav unit. I think i will go for the standard Seat Unit as it seems the easiest to install.
I have factory bluetooth, so will this still work? YES
Steering wheel controls, will they still work? YES
The Aux connection, will that still be connected without changing anything? MAY NEED TO SWAP ONE WIRE (GROUND)
Is it a fairly simple plug an play install, or do i need any lead adapters, PLUG AND PLAY
i know i have to install the antenna.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Hope that helps - :)

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Just been thinking about getting one of these.. However I have a MY07 FR and don't want the clock to mess up!

Does anyone have any pictures of the clock messed up so I can see how bad it is? Does it only do that on the smaller MFD screens or both? Does it only do that if its the VW unit or does the Seat one do it as well?

Thanks,
Andy

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Mate at work has a 56 FR and the compass/clock is huge on his car with a VW unit, compared to mine.

It's not so much that it moves it too far across, the font used to display the compass and time is too big, so it just can't fit it on the screen. I think he gets the 00: and half the first minute. Compass is fine.

Eriedor

Feb 2, 2009
Has anyone installed the RNS510 with the "premium" bluetooth kit?

Does it work well without the large mfd on the dashboard? I don't have it and don't particularly want to fork out the £450 just for the large display if the RNS510 and premium bluetooth are an acceptable alternative.

mordzy

i have two of these units, an 'A' and 'B' Version

both work ok however only the volume steering wheel controls work. is this a VAG-COM setting/issue?

also the 'A' Version doesn't seem to have a menu for the 'media' button. you press it and it says no media. on the 'B' version it takes you to a menu and shows you the HDD and SD.

is this just a firmware variation.

ta for help guys.

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
I have recentely installed a SEAT MFD3 into my MY07 cupra with factory bluetooth and large MFD in clock cluster, and can confirm that the clock display has indeed moved over and lost the last digit.
The car must of been built March/April 07as it apears to have canbus 2.0 because all the steering wheel buttons work.
The sound quality is far better than the standard H/U and overall I am well chuffed with it ,it is an awesome piece of kit.
I have recentely seen a picture of an MFD3 displaying the time on the unit ! Does anyone know how to achieve this ?
As this will make up for losing the clock on the dash.

Cheer`s

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
I have recentely seen a picture of an MFD3 displaying the time on the unit ! Does anyone know how to achieve this ?
As this will make up for losing the clock on the dash.

Cheer`s

hi, i have only seen this on vw units i'm afraid. unfortunately there are subtle differences. are you running the latest software version and maps?

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Yeah, It was a picture of a VW one.
Don`t kmow what the latest versions are .I think mine is 0996

Cheer`s

richpaul

I have the same unit and the same can bus by the sound of it.
I upgraded the firmware and the clock is now showing on the rns510 so it's no problem.
You need firmware 1100 or above for this.

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Thanks for that info.
how do I obtain a firmware upgrade and will it wipe my maps and music off the hard drive ?
Cheer`s

richpaul

It updates the file system to make it faster, and in the process it will format the hard drive deleting all.
I borrowed the DVD for the firmware and another to load on the latest maps.
Though if you know a pirate I'm sure he can find it on an internet?

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Cool ! If posible can you list what other things changed with the upgrade to firmware 1100 apart from the clock display .
Cheer`s

blundell

Hey guys, dunno how many people will read this being stuck on the end of this post . . but I don't want to fit a sat nav myself (because i WILL) break something. So I found this website http://www.primeprestige.com/oemretrofits/satnav-seat.shtm
and they'll do the mid range system for me for £400 or the dvd for £720.

The only thing is it's in Leeds, so i've got two questions.

1) Has anyone used these before or know anyone who has?
2) I found that company totally randomly and would like one thats in the Liverpool/Manchester area any links?

oh and p.s.
Will it void my warranty ( my car is an 08)(I dont care anyway I think lol)

Cheers for your time guys! If I get a quick response I might drive down today an get it done :D