Pedal box (haven't we been here before?)

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
morning, fortunately, my pedal box hasn't snapped yet (touch wood), however in the last week or so I've noticed a squeak, which seems to be getting bigger/louder each time I press the clutch pedal. I'm starting to worry - is it about to go? What happened when everyone else's pedal box broke - did it just go with no warning, or could you tell it was getting ready?

Also, will it mean that NONE of my pedals work if it snaps? Will I have no brakes?:confused:

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
It means it's starting to shear the welds off. But mine did it for a few months before it went.

When mine went, the pedal became soft until near the end of its travel, i could still change gear but I made as few changes as possible.

The other two will work just fine :)

Mckellar

mines squeeked quite badly, but i sprayed some silicone spray in amongst it and it stopped.

Driving home, changed gear to go onto the roundabout and it made a banging noise and the clutch pedal just dropped.

You'll definately know when it goes.

I got it fixed, but its still a bit squeeky, so if it goes again ive to take it back to them. [:@]

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
great - something to look forward to then!
thanks everyone - might have to think about changing it before I get stuck at the lights......

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Mine carried on working, don't know about other people.

Mine's now bolted instead of having it welded (documented in a different thread... somehwere). I can send pics if it will help you.

Ideally get it fixed before it goes. But my advice is not to just change it for a new one that will only snap as well. The problem (according to my local independent) is that the clutch fingers temper and become stiff; this is what placed the extra strain on the pedal box. So if you put a new box in, it won't last the same amount of time as your original without changing the clutch at the same time because the new pedal box will be under more stress from the outset.

I would look into having your existing bracket welded or bolted before the welds break.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Mine has an intermittent squeak and click:confused: squeak well more of a creak really,only way i can describe it,barely audible more the click when clutch pedal nearly fully released...is it likely the same thing,no trouble changing gears but then i don't have the whole left leg ache thing from my clutch either?????

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
The clutch cable also gives alittle help towards it breaking if its worn.

Change the clutch and the cable.

When mine was about to go the pedal was really soft and the clutch bite point was pretty much at the bottom!!

My pedal box is bolted together now. Been so for 10 months and its fine. Got the clutch and cable changed and the pedal is so much lighter than before.

Regarding the speaking, mine still squeaks but i think its the cable rubbing against the where it comes through the bulkhead.

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
cheers - AlpineWhite - pics would be great - I've never had the pleasure of having to lay upside down on my back having a nose around the pedals, so I've no idea what to look for.

I had a new clutch cable fitted, probably a couple of years ago now, but the biting point's never changed & I've had the car since new ('98 S plate 8valver) - I've read the other pedal box horror stories on here & thought I was lucky......looks like it might be my turn.........

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
pedalbox.jpg

hopefully this will help, it's taken with your head under the dash, legs pointing towards the back of the car.

It will probably make more sense if you get under the pedal box and have a look.

Any questions, give me a shout.

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
nice one, cheers mate - if I get the chance I'll have a look this weekend - did you do the repair job in-situ or take the box out to do it?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Bolted it in situ.

I used a pair of mole/vice grips to hold the bracket in place and drilled the hole through the two parts. Although as yours hasn't broken it should be a bit easier.

Putting the bolt in is the most fiddly bit. I would describe it finger gymnastics. Have a good look (and feel) around before you start drilling / bolting as it is quite fiddly.

I find the bolts last 6 months or so, although they are taking all of the strain. With the welds still half in-tact i would imagine they'd last a bit longer.

To have a look at it you need to take out the driver's glovebox and the plastic panel underneath (4 screws). It will probably help if you take the driver's seat out too - only one bolt.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Only the welds that are on the main assembly broke on mine.

Ive had mine bolted together since middle of may last year and its still lasting and hasn't broke. It was welded back together at the same time so i think that might have helped. The head of the bolt was welded over too.

Plus i changed the clutch and cable at the same time so i think that has helped alot!

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
chaps, just spent the last 20mins upside down in the car & had my suspiciona confirmed - there's a lovely crack plain as day, probably got about 5mm left to go before it completely snaps. No idea how some of you managed it, but there's no way I can get my hands in the gap to try & drill & thread some bolts through, so reckon it's a new box. Question - are they all the same or are their different ones for different models? I reckon I can get in to undo the bolts on the old box so thought I might as well have the lot out, get a new one & strengthen that.