GUIDE: Mk2 Leon Brakes - Info, Upgrades, and Maintanance.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
I am on the verge of getting AP 4 pots- as used by, and branded, TVR!! for quite a bit less and will post as soon as I have them up and running. If it works out as I expect I will direct people directly to my intended supplier as he has a batch available.

IMG_0909-1.jpg

IMG_0911-1.jpg

They are on and a stunning upgrade!!

They are progressive and smooth in operation and provide a good deal more stopping power. They are quite a lot cheaper than any other quality brake upgrade and use DS2500 pads. see my sig for details and note they save in excess of 4kg each side from unsprung weight.
CG Cars of Leicester will fit them and new braided front lines and fluid by appointment while you wait. Call him on 01162624498.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Really want Yellow Porsche Calipers on mine now , But at £1750 dont think it will be happening anytime soon :(

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Would possibley put the following addendum :
"Before pushing back the pad cylinders, clamp the respective brake hose and crack off the bleed nipple THEN depress the pad cylinder, when bottomed tighten the nipple and release the hose clamp. [This will stop ANY possible dirt contamination going into the ABS unit - flow should only be one way] When pads have been refitted and assembled to the disc correctly load the brakes and bleed off any air that may have got into the system. Remember ABS unit can cost around £1k plus"
Just a thought. .............................................................

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Can somebody tell me what size discs the Cupra Brembo set up should have?

ive seen a few sets advertised as being 323mm x 28mm Discs

Now IIRC the MK1 LCR Brembos also run 323mm discs but all the adverts have been advertised as 5X112 Brembo Kit for MK5 Golf Platform

So either hes got the Disc Measurment wrong or there for a MK1 LCR

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Kool i will email them and say either theve got Measurments wrong or there for a MK1 LCR

Alex me Engine mount insert has arrived gonan get round to fitting it tmoz

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
got a question, I'm tuning my car at present and heading for stage2+ however my brakes are still standard (FR TFSI) ...I plan on upgrading the brakes to the "big cupra ones" will these be alright or will I need something else? I have 220bhp at present they stop okay but not that quick...any additional advice would be appropriated :) thank you in advance.

note:- still on 17" alloys but reading this thread if I use spacers I will be able to fix the cupra brakes on.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
you should get cupra brakes on under 17" wheels depending on back depth of your wheels? Cupra brakes are very good but start to struggle from warping and brake fade once being pushed hard... another option is R32 brakes or s3 brakes which give you vented rears also...

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Folks,

Could someone confirm if the MKII FR TDI rear brake pads / discs are interchangeable with the MKII Cupra?

Im looking to upgrade to the Cupra set up as above, but am struggling with obtaining rear carriers at present. I need to replace my rear discs / pads very soon though but don’t want to replace and then have to replace again when the Cupra carriers become available? Would I be able to utilise the vented Cupra rear discs with my FR TDI at present? Hope that makes sense…

I ask as I saw in an earlier post that there may be a difference in Cupra rears to the FR TDI…
---------
2.0TFSI 237HP
Front 345 x 30 Vented
Rear 286 x 12 Vented - PR-1KZ

2.0TDI 170HP
Front 312 x 25 Vented - PR-1LJ FN3 caliper
Rear 286 x 12 Solid - PR-1KZ

Many thanks,
D

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
im 90% sure the cupra discs are thicker than fr so not sure if they will fit in the fr callipers... not positive though mate

90% will do for me Owen, i think ill get all parts except carriers just now, stick in some cheapo pads to tide me over and repalce the rears when all bits are in my boot.

thanks for the feedback,

D

Darren_lane

I want to uprate my brakes to just drilled not drilled and grooved. Only got a 140 so no stopping power than OE needed to be honest. Just taken delivery of so 18' R8 rims so bigger disc the better as you can see right through them! Any thoughts please guys? Also, I've looked at greenstuff brake pads...Ar these any good? I need some that will stop well when hammered but the wife drives the car too so not pads that need to be warmed up before they get to optimum...
Any thoughts would be great, Many thanks, Darren

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Never really heard anything good about EBC pads.. The Greenstuff are for the lighter cars, but the redstuff are more suitable for the Leon road use.
Why do you want drilled discs? just for the look? bare in mind they may crack if not the best dsics. Ive found OEM discs very good.
If you want bigger discs, Cupra upgrade is the best step really.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.