Auto Gauge boost gauge. How to wire up correctly!!!!

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
The standard stuff is very thin walled, thicker stuff is better for vacuum.

No, just replace the whole tube in one go throw the clear stuff away.

Yeah I was thinking about getting some decent silicone for the job. what size should I be getting 3mm, 4mm or 5mm? Also, I was reading some other post that the clear tube is already connected to the gauge when you buy it and cant change the tube, hence running the clear tube inside silicone tubing, is that correct?

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
im a wee bit confused. ive just bought a boost auto gauge. my wires are different colours as to the ones that are mentioned in the first post???

BLACK RED AND ORANGE

DSCI0083.jpg

gex18

Mar 30, 2007
I know this is in the leon section, but I thought i'd ask anyway.

I have just bought an Autogauges boost gauge with stepmotor movement for my MK4 Ibiza Cupra. Now according to the OPs guide it should have

- Black Wire (Earth)
- Purple and Orange wires joined together
- Yellow

My gauge, however has the following :

Red - Battery (+)
Black - Engine ground
White - Ignition switch
Orange - Dimmer / +12v to dimmer.

So, is it as follows regarding wiring to the lighting panel

Gauge Lighting panel

Red Red
Black Brown
White ????
Orange ????

Can someone help me out here?:confused:

Many thanks

Anthony

S17EW O

guys....made progress...have got an auto gauge from halfords and wired up to the back of my lights switch following this very good thread. Next problem was that at first everything worked perfectly and it remembered the colour I set too but after a short spell the red of the digits dimmed but not the needle and then I could not change the color. The pin did nothing. Then to top it all it started changing to blue on its own. now its stuck on dim red lights appart from the needle and pin does nothing!?Does that sound like a bad connection or faulty gauge?

J0N

Defected!
Thick Yellow - Permanent Live 12v, this is so it 'remembers' what colour it's on.
Thick Purple and Thick Orange - Twist them together and connect to a switched live. One is for the backlight and one is for the needle, can't remember which is which but it does'nt really matter on our cars. This is because on some cars you might want the needle lit all the time and the backlight to come on with the lights, etc. Although our instrument lights come on with the ignition you still want the purple and orange connecting to a switched live so the gauge stays lit with everything else when the lights are on but the ignition is off.

Also there is a setting on the gauge that keeps changing the colour, I suppose some people like it like that but it's also worth remembering that these gauges are not of the highest quality and can change colour of their own accord. I used to have both of mine set to blue because they matched my HU but one of them kept changing back to red even though they were wired in together, now I just leave them on red.

S17EW O

Well I had the wires soldered in. Will double check them though. Now you've said that I'm considering disconnecting. One of those wires because personally I think the needle is far too bright and I think u would still see it fine with just the backlight. What do you guys think?does anyone no which I disconnect?

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I would say you have a faulty gauge mate. I used bullet connectors to wire mine in and it worked first time and that was nearly a year ago and i have had no problems since.

If you wired it like a said on page 1 you cant go wrong it is the correct way to wire it up. I think the purple is the needle wire. as one is the needle and the other the backlight (orange)

I wouldnt say the needle is not that bright? can you use the dimmer? it will work with the gauge.

S17EW O

Na I think the needle is too bright. In comparison to the backlight. The dimmer works a treat. Would you no how to wire it so as the dimmer dims the boost gauge but leaves the normal gauges at full brightness?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.