Running rough - coilpack?

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
Well I found my answer, finally went tonight, not coilpack(s), it was the MAF lol

Car jerked as I was driving and then a fault code came up, mpg is aweful, ordering a new one and I'm sure it will run a million times better.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Are you 100% sure? the egg smell is the electrics frying in the coil pack, and the Maf just dies no smell, also the symptoms you describe could all be coil related.

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
Are you 100% sure? the egg smell is the electrics frying in the coil pack, and the Maf just dies no smell, also the symptoms you describe could all be coil related.

Well, the MAF had died as it came up on the ECU, so changed that and it ran well, BUT it wasn't holding boost and mpg was still shite.

It is only yesterday I got the egg smell

Makam pete

Nov 26, 2009
Blackburn
yep my coilpack went a month ago, was no2. asked the Seat techs if others normally follow suit and they said no. just replace when you need to so hopefully won't have any more probs for a while

VIKINGODIN

Oct 19, 2009
south wales
1 of mine went so i changed all 4 about 5 months ago,they are ****ed again,so annoying,i did put them in over shot spark plugs though,does anyone know if that would have contributed to them going again so soon?:confused:

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
Anybody got plugs from TPS and can confirm they come with a warrenty?
1 maybe 2 of mine went today so im going to do all 4 but dont realy want them to die again so something with warrenty would be good:D
Mind you saying that ive had me car 5 years in July and never had 1 fail, untill i opened me big mouth at a RR day this afty:doh: :ban:

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Anybody got plugs from TPS and can confirm they come with a warrenty?
1 maybe 2 of mine went today so im going to do all 4 but dont realy want them to die again so something with warrenty would be good:D
Mind you saying that ive had me car 5 years in July and never had 1 fail, untill i opened me big mouth at a RR day this afty:doh: :ban:

Think you'd know about it if 1 went, let alone 2. When 1 went on mine, the misfire was terrible. Couldn't even drive the damn car, it was that unresponsive

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
1 of mine went so i changed all 4 about 5 months ago,they are ****ed again,so annoying,i did put them in over shot spark plugs though,does anyone know if that would have contributed to them going again so soon?:confused:

Had my car nearly two years and not had to change any coil packs.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
yep my coilpack went a month ago, was no2. asked the Seat techs if others normally follow suit and they said no. just replace when you need to so hopefully won't have any more probs for a while

After the first one went, it was three months before I had replaced all 4

I always carried a spare, so changing was easy

if you can afford it, replace all 4 at same time, for the hassle factor
if not replace 2 on the right (passenger side) as they are the hardest to get too and require taking a bracket off that sits on top of them

The remaining 2 are very easy to access and can be done in under 10 mins with a big flat headed screw driver

I got the official vag parts from GSF as it was cheaper, and they said they were no longer doing their aftermarket version of that part, but not sure how true that is?

The car was on the original coil packs and lasted 60k miles over 6 years

Also fuel econemy is VERY bad so carryng a spare is wise as you'll use loads of fuel jet to get to GSF

Last edited:

Luke20vT

Apr 8, 2010
Oxford
I've just brought my Cupra and the seller told me it needs a new coilpack, obviously they are known for going on a regular basis, the car is still running absolutely fine but the engine management light is on thats all.

Luke.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've just brought my Cupra and the seller told me it needs a new coilpack, obviously they are known for going on a regular basis, the car is still running absolutely fine but the engine management light is on thats all.

Luke.

You sure its a coilpack then? it won't run very well if a coilpack has gone.

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
Mine just went this mornin i think! on the way to work no power engine light flashing rough idle and drive almost felt like it was going to stall if i didnt keep the revs up, Im guessing this is a coil pack, will be replacing all 4, does a fault code show on Vagcom when one has gone??

heading out tonight and im getting the exact symtoms as you. sounds like its struggling to idle, really loud setting off, etc.. is this coilpacks? :confused:

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
During this evening's joyride another one of mine coilpack went dead. I must say that car behaved a bit different than last time. I hope its a coilpack :p. 16684 and 16685 fault codes.

illusion

Feb 6, 2007
Southampton
I need to replace a coilpack on my Mk1 but am struggling to find the correct type. Looking at Euro Carparts it tells me I have an AJQ engine and I don't seem to be able to find anybody to supply me one for my specific engine type.

Anybody got any ideas or am I going to have to go to the main stealer?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members