GUIDE: Replacing Blower resistor pack. (Climate controlled units only)

Mar 19, 2010
Hey , if your fans only work on full speed. This will most likely be what is causing the problem. The Resistor pack for the fan control.

This is a guide to find and how to remove the resistor pack that controls the fan speeds of the blower motor on climate controlled units. PartNo: 6Q2907521.

#This is the resistor pack to be replaced.
Capture.jpg

-First of all I went under the passenger side foot well and underneath you can see a plastic cover held up by 5 t15 star keys.
8.jpg

-Once removed you can then pull it away to reveal the Pollen filter housing, this is removed by moving both sliders into the middle and pulling the plastic cover down to reveal the pollen filter itself.
-Remove the filter and using a small torch look inside and you should see a silver heat sink held on by a small bronze coloured star screw (dont know the size of it but its really small, I suggest having a set of small star keys).
-Removing the little screw is a tough job so patience is needed and eventually you should get it, After its removed alot of tugging and pulling it required to get the heatsink / resistor out to reveal the back and the plug that needs to be removed from the resistor itself.
3.jpg

-Now the plug has been removed it will be hanging on by the red/blue cables which are hard wired in, to remove these the top half of the glove box has to be removed to get to the blower motor front.

6 t15 star screws are to be removed, looking at pics below there is 2 either side at the front, 2 up above at the front of the glovebox and 2 inside the glove box at the back. See pics below.
4.jpg

62-1.jpg

-Once you remove all the star screws make sure the air bag switch is turned off and unplug the yellow plug at the back (Note vag com will be needed to remove the air bag light afterwards)
5-1.jpg

-Pulling the plastic insert will now reveal the front of the blower motor
7.jpg

See the plug circled on the left, this is the plug connecting to the resistor (red/blue wires)/ some zip ties will be required to be cut to slide this through the pollen filter housing once unplugged. The resistor should now be able to be pulled out of position its in.

Replacing is reversal of removing.

Hope this helps alot of people here as it will become common if people dont replace the pollen filters often enough!

Any things that need more answers too (or ive missed) ill update this post with more.

Reactions: mjstokes85
Mar 19, 2010
No problem. Such a luxury to have fans again!! Can add more detail in areas people are unsure of (if my explaining skills are poor :p)

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Hi

How would I remove the fan motor? And does it look easy as my one is vibrating really loud and goes through the car.

Luke

Mar 19, 2010
I think to get the fan motor out you have to remove all the dash and start removing the metal frame work round the motor before it comes out. Ive never done it before so Im not in the know of how to do it. Possibly shows it in the haynes manuel for our cars ?

stuntmonkey

this sounds like the issue im having on the wench's car so thank you for the guide :D

also there is no air coming from the front vents and it only blows hot... any ideas if this is the same issue? :confused:

Mar 19, 2010
That could be the flaps ? theres flaps that control the areas its directed. My cousin told me they can play up sometimes and be fixed with VAG com with a reset(not always the case but worth a try). This resistor pack only controls fan speeds I think. Im glad I got stuck in and did this guide as it took me months to figure it out off my own back !

Last edited:

stuntmonkey

That could be the flaps ? theres flaps that control the areas its directed. My cousin told me they can play up sometimes and be fixed with VAG com with a reset(not always the case but worth a try). This resistor pack only controls fan speeds I think. Im glad I got stuck in and did this guide as it took me months to figure it out off my own back !

Thanks buddy, think im going to have to do this and then get someone to have a look with Vag com. how much was the resistor pack btw?

thanks again for a great guide :worship::worship:

Degenatron

Fuzzy, could you elaborate on how in hell you got your hand through the pollen filter gap?!

My symptoms are no fans whatsoever:

HVAClog_zps77be671e.png

The light blue line is attempting to match the orange line but seems to get stuck at just below 2 Volts, bummer. So this is how I know it's the resistor pack and not the motor!
Elsawin suggests dash-out for this job O.O

Has anyone else with normal sized hands succeeded at this?

Mar 19, 2010
My housing broke and I had room. Had to plastic weld it back together and seal it with foil tape . Botch job I know but all happen by accident. I enjoyed my hands cut to piece to ha

matt989

BALLS - bought the part, pull the dash apart then just noticed the "climate controlled units only" part!!

Does anyone know how to do this on the non climate control units?

Oh I also have a resistor unit for sale - bought from ebay for about £40!

S7UYJ

Sep 7, 2010
Manchester
"-Once you remove all the star screws make sure the air bag switch is turned off and unplug the yellow plug at the back (Note vag com will be needed to remove the air bag light afterwards)"

Decent guide mate, I'll be needing this soon!

Just one thing, might save people some time, disconnecting the battery before removing the airbag plug usually doesn't throw a light, so shouldn't need vagcom reset

:)