Mk4 Suspension

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Please post any useful info in this thread which will hopefully become sticky.

Include opinions if you have one and links to previous threads and prices and part numbers

DO NOT POST CRAP IN THIS ONE IE DONT GO OFF TOPIC

Both Petrol and Diesel Please

This thread will be made Sticky if there is good feedback on it that will help people in the future

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
I have Eibach springs and standard dampers.

Fitting was eay peasey and it skinned me £130.

That was 20,000 miles ago and i can honestly say that the dampers are shagged!!

So....onwards and upwards (well, downwards actually :D ). Just about to order a set of FK Silver line X's. There are 4 different options with FK Coilovers:-

Highsport Coilover Kits:
This is our most popular and best selling coilover suspension kit, which features top quality at an extremely competitive price. It has fixed dampening tuned by FK which is described as a sporty ride that is firm but comfortable. The ideal suspension kit for customers who want a suspension setup that has been tuned by the FK engineering department's experience. During extensive test drives during development, it is possible to develop the springs and shock matching to your car - a perfect setup as a result. Of coures, the ride height and attitude can be accurately adjusted.

The struts are Zinc Plated Steel for protection against road salts.

+ Height adjustable on car
+ TüV approved for safety upto 85mm
+ Made in Germany
+ Includes C-Spanners and protective aerosol
+ Zinc Plated Steel

Königsport Coilover Kits:
The flagship range of FK Coilover Suspension Kits. Featuring special shock absorbers which feature adjustable dampening for maximum tuneability. The ideal suspension kit for the driver who wants the height to be adjustable and at the same time, dampening to be separately adjustable. This suspension can be adapted to your own personal preferences and driving experiences, due to the adjustable dampening shock absorbers. Also body roll of the car can be considerably influenced through dampening.

The struts are Zinc Plated Steel for protection against road salts.

+ Koni strut inserts (dampening adjustable)
+ Made in Germany
+ Zinc Plated Steel

Silverline Coilover Kits:
This is our most popular and best selling coilover suspension kit, which features top quality at an extremely competitive price. It has fixed dampening tuned by FK which is described as a sporty ride that is firm but comfortable. The ideal suspension kit for customers who want a suspension setup that has been tuned by the FK engineering department's experience. During extensive test drives during development, it is possible to develop the springs and shock matching to your car - a perfect setup as a result. Of coures, the ride height and attitude can be accurately adjusted.

The struts are made from Stainless Steel to eliminate corrosion from UK road salts. The strut housing is guaranteed for life. Looks great from any angle.

+ Made in Germany
+ Stainless Steel
+ Lifetime Guarantee

Silverline X Coilover Kits:
The flagship range of FK Coilover Suspension Kits. Featuring special shock absorbers which feature adjustable dampening for maximum tuneability. The ideal suspension kit for the driver who wants the height to be adjustable and at the same time, dampening to be separately adjustable. This suspension can be adapted to your own personal preferences and driving experiences, due to the adjustable dampening shock absorbers. Also body roll of the car can be considerably influenced through dampening.

The struts are made from Stainless Steel to eliminate corrosion from UK road salts. The strut housing is guaranteed for life. Looks great from any angle.

+ Koni strut inserts (dampening adjustable)
+ Made in Germany
+ Stainless Steel
+ Lifetime Guarantee

I can get these at very good prices-cheaper than ive seen anywhere else. For example was told £530 for the Silverline X's tonight.

Im getting a better list of prices etc tomorrow for the MK so ill update then.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
can also say that when lowering any mk4 ( tdi in my experience) with 30K + onit , it would be worthwhile to change the front top mounts , when i refitted koni adjustables on mine (more later) the mounts fell apart luckily i had them already ordered , a few people on here have had them replaced under warranty from wat ive heard .

6Q0412331B front strut top mounting (2 required at 9.23 each plus VAT)
6N0412249C front strut top bearing (2 required at 7.95 each plus VAT)
these are 4 my diesel engined car , dunno if petrol varients are similar

koni adjustable shocks are a good job as well if u dont want to go down the coilover route. on the front they are top adjustable , from softer than standard to hard as fook , the rears are quite hard to adjust as they need to be removed to do so , nothing major in that tho , personally . i have these installed along with spax SSX springs , and the ride altho firm is comfortable and the car corners smoothly , and progressively , with little roll

Last edited:

Triple D

I had my sachs kit fitted today and first impresions are good, its lowered nicely, ride is quite a bit firmer than the standard ones and seems to turn in alot better. I haven't beenable to realy try them yet as the roads are wet and greasy so cant wait to see what theyre like in the dry. ill get some pics at the weekend aslong as its dry and not too cold.

Ibiza Evo 2

220,8hp and 351lbs/ft
Jun 1, 2004
get-me.to
Here is an image from my fr lowered with KW variant 1.The back is at the lowest setting and the front has still a little tread left.

dsc01039a8ni.jpg

Last edited:

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
Ive had KW Variant 2's on my car for about 12000 miles now. Front bushes were gubbed completely. Had Powerflex bushes installed today and there is an immediate and DRAMATIC improvement.

Star Performance installed them for me. Im not sure if they believed me when I said that my wheels had a huge amount of movement in them. Whenever I put my foot on one of my wheel spokes I could easily make the wheel move about an inch in total. If I went down even the slightest of dips in a road or turned right hard then my wheel would rub in the arches. It was far worse on the drivers side. In fact it used to rub so badly that all the plastic on the inside of my drivers side wheel arch has rubbed away, not doing my tyres any favours there!

Now when I put my weight on the spokes the wheel does not move at all. The car changes direction instantly whereas before there was a very slight delay as the give in the old bushes was taken up. (badly explained but you get the idea!)

On the way home I was throwing the car around a lot quite aggresively trying to see if i could induce some trye rub. So far it has not rubbed!

Very very happy and my only regret is that I took so long to actually get it done.

Thanks to the Star Performance lads for doing another professional job.

Last edited:

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
stoneyfordNI said:
wat bushes did u get done , front or rear lower subframe ones

Ummm not 100% sure on this. This is what it says on my receipt.....

2 x Front Rear Wishbone Bushes
2 x Front Wishbone Bush Front

Never got anything on the rear of the car as there was no problem with them.

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
Oh think this might be worth a mention. Jim Curley @ Star Performance noticed something yesterday for the first time. When changing the bushes on my PD100 S he discovered that the PD160 Cupra has different and better bushes than mine. He said it would be a possible OEM upgrade for anyone who was needing new bushes or simply wanting to upgrade them.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes that's right, I bought Devonmikeyboy's front suspension bushes/brackets off his rolled Cupra 160; instead of the voided bushes on my Sport it had solid-looking bushes.

Not sure if they were only fitted to Cupras, or were an improved item fitted to all later models...

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
muddyboots said:
Yes that's right, I bought Devonmikeyboy's front suspension bushes/brackets off his rolled Cupra 160; instead of the voided bushes on my Sport it had solid-looking bushes.

Not sure if they were only fitted to Cupras, or were an improved item fitted to all later models...

All the FR's and Cupra's have the solid one's now. Mine will have come saturday + 20mm ARB and powerflex front bushes:funk:

Marky P

have you got part no's for the front suspension bushes?

I've just got back from a service today and was warned that 'Front Suspension Wishbone Bushes Split'. Is it worth upgrading to Powerflex?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
hey guys how much are the cupra front brushes? if im gettin new suspension i may aswell upgrade this at the same time im guessing.. hopefully see my mate at the garage and see if he will price the job up (i delt it but its worth an ask) lol has any1 been able to sell ur old suspension or have u put it to the back of the garage?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.