Odd Power Steering Issue

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
Had a search through the forum to see if anybody's had an identical issue to mines but no joy.

Currently having an issue with power steering on my 62 plate 1.2 TSI with 55k miles on the clock. Started on Friday, left work and went to get petrol - upon starting the car again the power steering was gone - attempted starting/restarting a few times but no luck, drove the 5 miles home and left it till the next day (got arms like popeye now).

Next evening, power steering was working fine on start-up, so drove approx 10 miles - steering felt normal.

Next afternoon, another short 5 mile drive, parked up and returned 2 hours later and power steering was away again - drove the 5 miles back and again left it overnight.

This morning - working fine, drove approx 50 miles but stalled near the end of the journey - upon restarting the car the power steering was away again.

I've checked the fuse under the dash which is fine.

Currently thinking it's either a problem with the sensor because the steering doesn't feel heavy/light at any other times plus it's working completely fine until the engine is restarted after any short/medium period of time.

However could it be caused by low hydraulic fluid e.g. all the fluid has been pumped around whilst driving and then not enough has returned to the tank so the sensor says the level is too low?

Just wondering if anybody's encountered a similar issue before I take the battery out to check the fluid level (cheers to whoever put the tank under the battery in the FR haha)

Worth mentioning that maybe once or twice in the 4 year I've had the car, the power steering's gone on starting the engine but this was resolved straight away by restarting the car.

EDIT: Both car and battery (had car since 18 months old, assuming no battery change in that time) are 5 and a bit year old (Dec 2012).

Will check battery with a DMM tomorrow - any ideas if battery seems fine?

No previous issues with battery or anything to suggest there's a problem. Sometimes the backlight for the radio LCD flickers but assuming that's nothing to do with the battery?

UPDATE 15-03-18

Battery changed 3 weeks ago, no change in steering

The power steering came back for a single drive last week - not sure if that means anything.

Tried a code reader that gave back no error codes - not an official reader just a cheap shot off of eBay that somebody in work had.

Do you think this could rule out the pump and the sensor completely? Somebody said that a low fluid level couldn't cause the warning light - is this for definite?

Also - if I was to p/x the car at a dealer in the next couple of weeks what would I tell them - just that the power steering's not working/intermittent etc?

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
age of the car? and battery?

low PAS fluid doesn't cause light on the dash.

Last edited:

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
age of the car? and battery?

low PAS fluid doesn't cause light on the dash.

battery on the way out ?

Both car and battery (had car since 18 months old, assuming no battery change in that time) are 5 and a bit year old (Dec 2012).

Will check battery with a DMM tomorrow - any ideas if battery seems fine?

No previous issues with battery or anything to suggest there's a problem. Sometimes the backlight for the radio LCD flickers but assuming that's nothing to do with the battery?

Last edited:

arran

Jan 3, 2018
I have a thread open here a few below yours with quite a few replies on the exact same issue. Might be worth a look

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I have a thread open here a few below yours with quite a few replies on the exact same issue. Might be worth a look

very common problem, more than 50 threads on this forum that for sure here...

most of them is the battery.

some unfortunates like me it's the pump!

Last edited:

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015

very common problem, more than 50 threads on this forum that for sure here...

most of them is the battery.

some unfortunates like me it's the pump!

Sorry what I meant was I couldn't find a thread with someone having the same issue with identical conditions - e.g. Arran's PS comes back after a few minutes - mines does not no matter how long it's left (drove about an hour and a half home without it last night)

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
Also which fuse is it? I'll have to check mine

At work so don't have the book to hand but sure it was the first 7.5A fuse on the left hand side of the fuse 'box' underneath the steering wheel - might be different depending on your model - have a look at the manual if it came with the car, fuses were on page 224 for me.

Worth noting the fuses are numbered 1 to whatever, it goes left to right from top to bottom on the left half first (1 to 25 are on the left from memory) and then starts again on the right hand side which look like heavier fuses.

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Sorry what I meant was I couldn't find a thread with someone having the same issue with identical conditions - e.g. Arran's PS comes back after a few minutes - mines does not no matter how long it's left (drove about an hour and a half home without it last night)

each case is different yiu did well creating a new topic.
I was just saying its a common issue unfornatly.

If the battery is old I would try to swap with another one, do you have another car?

If tbe battery is good and the steering is really really stiff then its probably the pump, if it is stiff but still driveable then could be the sensor.

How stiff is the steering hard enought so you need to use all your strength to move it when stationary?

Last edited:

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
each case is different yiu did well creating a new topic.
I was just saying its a common issue unfornatly.

If the battery is old I would try to swap with another one, do you have another car?

If tbe battery is good and the steering is really really stiff then its probably the pump, if it is stiff but still driveable then could be the sensor.

How stiff is the steering hard enought so you need to use all your strength to move it when stationary?

Battery's measuring 12.3V off and 14.4V idling - seems fine.

Steering's as stiff as when the engine's off so by what you're saying it looks like an issue with the pump.

Only thing I'm wondering is, how can it be intermittent? If it's burned itself out surely it couldn't work at all?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
If the steering is as heavy as when the engine is not running then you can discard the sensors from the possibilities... so either elctrical system or pump...

The pump is electric, every electrical fault starts to be intemitent at first and then becomes permanent...

but... again... test properly the battery...those readings doesn't mean anything. the first symptom of a bad battery on this car is the power steering failing as the pump requires a lot of energy to start.

you need to to a proper battery test Rated CCA and Measured CCA, that's the only thing that matters to check the battery healt...
the voltage is to check if it is charged or not, but a battery could be charged and still be with bad health...

Check this one:

ClQu8.jpg

Last edited:

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
I would not take these two voltage measurements as being a proper Good/Bad check for a battery!

If the steering is as heavy as when the engine is not running then you can discard the sensors from the possibilities... so either elctrical system or pump...

The pump is electric, every electrical fault starts to be intemitent at first and then becomes permanent...

but... again... test properly the battery...those readings doesn't mean anything. the first symptom of a bad battery on this car is the power steering failing as the pump requires a lot of energy to start.

you need to to a proper battery test Rated CCA and Measured CCA, that's the only thing that matters to check the battery healt...
the voltage is to check if it is charged or not, but a battery could be charged and still be with bad health...

Check this one:

ClQu8.jpg

Going to get a battery test done on Friday - thanks for all your help

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
Replaced the battery but still no joy - narrows it down to steering angle sensor or pump itself - going to see if I can get the code read this afternoon, would they both have their own codes?

Also, on a side note - anyone know where I could source a replacement battery terminal t bolt? Managed to shear it off putting the new battery in
Onf9EN9

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
the test was to prevent changing the battery if not necessary, anyway the battery would not last much longer...

If the steering is as stiff as when the engine is not running then it's the pump. https://www.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2197801
mine failed twice already... first time when the car was 6.5 yo and then 3 months later again.

If the steering is stiffer but still has some assistance could be the sensor.

don't overtigth bolts... that is just 6NM, if you are using a wrench 6NM is no more than the strength you can do with one finger.
seems odd but the more you overtight the higher the chances iit becomes loose over time.

what did you damage exacly? Anyway pass by a dealer, this specific parts will be cheaper there.

I also overtight mine once and damaged the 2A part, the bolt would not secure.

http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...category/971065/part_id/1419251/lang/e#sec_2A

Last edited:

Barnshaw

Apr 26, 2015
Sorry to bump after so long but was on holiday, working etc.

The power steering came back for a single drive last week - not sure if that means anything.

Tried a code reader that gave back no error codes - not an official reader just a cheap shot off of eBay that somebody in work had.

Do you think this could rule out the pump and the sensor completely? Somebody said that a low fluid level couldn't cause the warning light - is this for definite?

Also - if I was to p/x the car at a dealer in the next couple of weeks what would I tell them - just that the power steering's not working/intermittent etc?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Low fluid doenst cause an warning light, at least on cold start, it could cause after driving when it becomes too hot.

Being intermitent doesnt mean anything, could still be the pump.

Yes the dealer will be able to sort it out.

Just expect >1000 cost if it is the pump.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is possible that the dealer your are PX'ng this car into will just be giving you a book price based on what they expect that car to get when sent to auction.

So, if it is not faulty when you hand it in I'm sure that you might forget to mention it.

Looking at this from the other side, are you convinced that any used car that you have bought will have good and accurate history along with all potential issues sorted out before you get handed the keys?