The Cupra Rebirth Project

bigairhooligan

go big or go home
Jan 28, 2008
Newport Pagnell
Here's my little Cupra story...

5 years ago I "wasted" my life savings on a real tidy yellow mk2 GTi Cupra Sport 8v. The thing was my pride and joy. I got quite into the scene and spent many happy hours behind the wheel of my first real motor. After 15 happy months, some thieving *%$@?* had the cheek to half inch my Cupra from my front drive, with me sat literally 10yards away in my living room. It's never been found. Gutted.

4 years have past and a few more meaningless motors have passed me by... Golf mkII driver, mkIII GTi, Audi A4 Avant, and currently a Transporter T5 as the company wagon.

On Sunday night I had a phone call from my mate Stu who heard a rumor of a super cheap Cupra that was available through the local VAG salvage garage. Stu just happens to be a sh*t hot mechanic and knows a few people. He offered his assistance and the show was on the road.

Begin, The Cupra Rebirth Project (TCRP).

Today I took delivery of the mk3 Ibiza Cupra in Onvi Yellow. It's had a good shunt on the front end and will need a few hours of fettling, bodging, and love. I already have most the panels & parts I need as the dealer happened to have a donor Cupra (also in onvi yellow) with a heavy rear shunt.

As soon as I figure out how to post photo's (it currently tells me "You may not post attachments") I'll start uploading my progress.

See you on the road shortly...

Rus

bigairhooligan

go big or go home
Jan 28, 2008
Newport Pagnell
I forgot to mention, it's gonna be back on the road with some STYLE!

Anyone know if the carbon bonnet group buy is still live, or did I miss the boat (by a few months)!?

bigairhooligan

go big or go home
Jan 28, 2008
Newport Pagnell
Hopefully these photo's work...

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

R 20vt J

Ross Jamieson
Mar 29, 2007
Irvine, Scotland
Mines had a similar problem once i hit a vectra!! Didnt cost me muh at all and replacd my bonnet wth a carbon one.

The group buy is over i think mate! Someone may get boed of theirs soon an sell.

Good Luck, can't wait to see how you get on.

bigairhooligan

go big or go home
Jan 28, 2008
Newport Pagnell
It's sooo easy for insurance companies to write cars off these days, understandably. If you added the cost of all the new parts needed to fix this up, plus labour costs it would be a fortune. 5k I reckon. However, if you know what you're doing (or know someone who does, like my mate Stu!) and have a good source for spares, the costs are the not even close to what insurance companies quote.

Ross - did you bend/distort your chassis legs? If so, how did you go about straightening them? We have a plan, but would be interesting to hear what others have done??

Rus

bigairhooligan

go big or go home
Jan 28, 2008
Newport Pagnell
Progress. Slow, mostly due to cold weather and now just waiting on someone to come out and chop / weld it back straight.

Some D90's purchased, currently in the paint shop. KW coilovers on the way.

Progress should start speeding up a little now...

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

bigairhooligan

go big or go home
Jan 28, 2008
Newport Pagnell
Car is now straight, engine is back in and it runs! Just need to fit the new KW coilies, Porsche D90's, chuck the bumper on and put it through and MOT! I should be on the roads within 7 days... Whoop!

Photo's will follow shortly...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise