BSH Catch Can Install on Cupra and Idling Issue Solved

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Hi guys,

I bought the BSH Catch Can kit as part of the group by on mk5golfgti.com. I received the kit on Saturday and got a chance to fit it last night.

It was straight forward enough to fit, just like any other Golf GTI/Octavia VRS guide, but in order to fit the bracket to support the can I had to drill two small holes in my wing.

See the photos below of the installation. Also, I had a problem with idling after it was installed. The car would rev up itself to 1500rpm and drop back to 850rpm. I found that the supplied cap for blanking off the inlet manifold was leaking so I replaced it with a bit of silicone hose and a stop end I had laying around.

Overall, the can has cured the sometimes irratic missfire and shudder I had at idle so my old PCV must of been dodgy. The car feels really strong under acceleration and I have no hesitation like sometimes I had in second gear previously, again maybe of been down to a dodgy PCV.

Any comments/queries welcome.

The Kit as it came in the Post:
DSC00431.jpg
]

Pic of the location of the bracket for the can and after installation pics:
DSC00433.jpg
]
DSC00435.jpg
]
DSC00434.jpg
]
DSC00436.jpg
]
DSC00432.jpg
]

Pic of the silicone hose and blanking plug I used to cure the air leak issue:
DSC00437.jpg
]
DSC00438.jpg
]

JMP

May 27, 2004
Any idea how well these catch can's work when the temperatures are well below freezing point?

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Don't know mate, but I will know some stage later in the year lol. From what I have read in the US forums, they seem to freeze up and the flow stops.

Its just a matter of checking them more often and making sure they are empty so they dont get a chance to freeze over.

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Don't know mate, but I will know some stage later in the year lol. From what I have read in the US forums, they seem to freeze up and the flow stops.

Its just a matter of checking them more often and making sure they are empty so they dont get a chance to freeze over.

can we not add a splash of anti freeze to the can to stop it freezing up?

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Dave88,

:yes: it came on saturday while we were at the show :D

Ordered the 50mm Eibach Sportlines today so should be here in a few days mate.

Did you do anything else to the motor? How did you enjoy thunderland btw?

I ended up at the Elk that saturday night for the drag racing. I did very well against a 347bhp Evo 8, there was nothing in it.

Just shows the 4wd transmission losses play a big part :)

Last edited:

Dave_88

Dave The Rave
Jul 2, 2008
Marske-by-the-sea/Antrim
Dave88,

:yes: it came on saturday while we were at the show :D

Ordered the 50mm Eibach Sportlines today so should be here in a few days mate.

Did you do anything else to the motor? How did you enjoy thunderland btw?

I ended up at the Elk that saturday night for the drag racing. I did very well against a 347bhp Evo 8, there was nothing in it.

Just shows the 4wd transmission losses play a big part :)

No i ended up going to the off-licence and buying a crate of Bud and getting wrecked instead :happy: picking my wheels up tonight hopefully just got them sprayed ;) Should bang some coilovers in instead :p its surprising how much power you lose through 4wd!

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Tfsi_Mike,

I got the silicone hose here:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0022S&product=FMS22-19

The stop end was one my dad had for the hydraulic hose on one of his excavators. I don't know where you would get such a thing but I had found alloy blanking plugs on ebay for a few quid which would do the job.

Try also this link on the forge site I just found:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMTB052K

Hope this helps.

Thanks matey! :thumbup:

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Here,s a few pics of my install. I used the original holes in the wing to fit the can. Must say the car feels more lively now, although i have just put some new Iridium 7 plugs in aswell.

Photo0595.jpg

Photo0596.jpg

Photo0597.jpg

Victor_Cupra

And why Seat choose to blown back the oil into the head and gumming up the valves???

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Victor,

VW and SEAT Engines are designed like this as the PCV vapour if allowed to vent to atmosphere will fail emissions tests. If it is put back into the engine via the inlet, it will burn up and therefore no emissions.

This BSH kit still will pass emissions tests as the PCV vapour is stored in the catch can.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.