BTCC front number plate question

18ME

I recently bought a Leon with the BTCC bodykit (I think thats what its called) for my other half and have put her cherished plate on but noticed that the housing for the plate is quite a lot smaller than a standard UK plate so overhangs by a fair amount. She does have a 4 digit plate so can go a lot shorter but what have others done on their cars?

Pics would be good, thanks.

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
I recently bought a Leon with the BTCC bodykit (I think thats what its called) for my other half and have put her cherished plate on but noticed that the housing for the plate is quite a lot smaller than a standard UK plate so overhangs by a fair amount. She does have a 4 digit plate so can go a lot shorter but what have others done on their cars?

Pics would be good, thanks.

get the plate chopped down!

07032010447.jpg

18ME

Thanks for that.

I bought a 370mm from Signam yesterday as that was the shortest they offer. The bracket is only about 310mm so could have gone shorter but I think it looks quite good at 370mm.

Mar 25, 2008
Short plates look so good on the front of the leon.
Mines was over hanging and flapping about so I ordered a short one from craigsplates.
4545597601_f0e483f420_b.jpg

18ME

Got it on now and I think it does look about right as any shorter it might not look right.

LGIM0205.jpg

Mar 25, 2008
Looks great.

I see the pug in the photo is trying to be a leon with its mirrors haha

18ME

Looks great.

I see the pug in the photo is trying to be a leon with its mirrors haha

The Gti is the car thats being replaced by the Leon and currently for sale. Incidently, how do you fold the mirrors in by the key? I've tried holding the lock button down also locking and then holding the lock button down but nothing. The 207's mirrors fold as soon as you press the lock button.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
The Gti is the car thats being replaced by the Leon and currently for sale. Incidently, how do you fold the mirrors in by the key? I've tried holding the lock button down also locking and then holding the lock button down but nothing. The 207's mirrors fold as soon as you press the lock button.

What year? Might have to be enabled via VCDS...

miss_cupraR

lovin' the leon
Jan 24, 2009
Lurgan
what sizes are all the above number plates width by height?

looking to get this for mine but was looking to know what sizes everyone else got

18ME

The standard width plate is 520mm but you can go as narrow as you want as long as the legal size digits fit on the plate. Mine is 370mm wide by 110mm deep. You cannot go shallower than 110mm, legally.

I had a discussion with a guy at Signam (the people that supply most of the trade including Halfords with their equipment) as I wanted a 380mm by 90mm plate for my VXR8 because that is the exact reccess size of the front bumper but he was sure that would be illegal even though places like Craigs Plates sell them as legal size import plates, using motorcycle size digits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.