DPF Experiences

Your experience of the Diesel Particulate Filter?

• Never seen DPF lights, no problems

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Seen DPF lights, DPF cleared with no problems

Votes: 56 23.8%
  • Seen DPF lights, had problems clear DPF

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required covered by warranty

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required NOT covered by warranty

Votes: 15 6.4%

• Total voters

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
I still don’t think we should be paying for this, I would suggest any one who suffers from this problem refuse to pay of any labor or parts, contact trading standards and if your car I purchased on finance contact them as well, they also have a responsibility to ensure the car is fit for purpose.
Seat can not just say it’s not covered by any guarantee, they have to prove you have done something to damage the filter.

Simon_Peters

2008 Leon Fr TFSI & 01 R6
Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
The bloody thing has come on again today. Only had the car two weeks and its only just clocked up 600 miles. It has cleared with a hard motorway drive but 250 miles this week were on the motorway. I am trying not to worry about it at the moment but it is taking a small shine of the new car for me.

As soon as it appears if I take it for a run like suggested I guess it will be fine but it is slightly annoying!

Cheers

Last edited:

Emocional

It happened to mine at about 200 miles. It got very hot and smelt like it was going to catch fire. After a short brisk run all was well and hasn't done it again, 8000 miles touch wood.

ktron

I do 70-80 miles a day. Nearly all motorway journeys. Had the car 12 months with no problems until.....First time I had a problem was about 6 months ago when the engine fault light came on - followed by the DPF light, I was on a motorway doing 70 anyway - so I thought no problem, after 15 minutes the coil light started flashing and kicked me into limp mode. Got the car back to the dealer via Seat Assist. When I go to collect it I was told off like a schoolboy for not following the recommended procedure (and was given a photocopy of the handbook instructions - thanks Seat Letchworth).
Last week exact same thing happened to me on the way home - again on the motorway. The cars now been with the dealer 5 days and im being told there talking with Seat technical (read they havent a clue). The AA man that gave me a lift to the dealer says this is a major problem in the VW group - seems that im the ideal person to own a car with DPF fitted (high mileage - long trips - no stop starts) - and if im getting these problems christ knows whats going to happen to school run mums. Heres hoping they find a fault with the CPU activating the regeneration procedure else back to petrol and not a Seat for me.

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
as horrible as it sounds im glad im not the only one having these kind of problems. im still waiting to hear from Seat UK with a suitable answer for my prblems but it seems its not an isolated incident they are trying to tell me it is. if i don't get a response somewtime next week i think (with the help of you guys hopefully) i'm going to start kicking up a real fuss as individuals we are ignored - maybe as a group we can get a real answer and reasurrance we, the customer are not going to have to keep paying for an issue which should be covered by a warranty.
in the mean time im going to look at a bmw 1 series

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
also this

http://www.iconia.org.uk/files/Diesel Particle Filter Recommendations.pdf

Interesting comment,

• If the DPF needs replacing and
the guidelines/recommendations
made by Volkswagen have not
been followed, the cost of
replacement will not be covered
by the manufacturer’s warranty.

I does not say its not covered by warranty, they have to prove you have not followed the correct instructions.

Last edited:

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
hmm, interesting reading - although i could argue i have followed the guidlines now they have already taken my money i feel its unlikely they will refund anything. Seat UK have already proved to me im not important by returning any of my calls:(

john q

i asked the salesman at arnold clark seat in edinburgh about these problems, he told me that if i had any problemswith my new fr they would be sorting it out themselves and not seat? hopefully i wont have problems and have to find out????

rpmleon

RPM
Sep 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
I do 70-80 miles a day. Nearly all motorway journeys. Had the car 12 months with no problems until.....First time I had a problem was about 6 months ago when the engine fault light came on - followed by the DPF light, I was on a motorway doing 70 anyway - so I thought no problem, after 15 minutes the coil light started flashing and kicked me into limp mode. Got the car back to the dealer via Seat Assist. When I go to collect it I was told off like a schoolboy for not following the recommended procedure (and was given a photocopy of the handbook instructions - thanks Seat Letchworth).
Last week exact same thing happened to me on the way home - again on the motorway. The cars now been with the dealer 5 days and im being told there talking with Seat technical (read they havent a clue). The AA man that gave me a lift to the dealer says this is a major problem in the VW group - seems that im the ideal person to own a car with DPF fitted (high mileage - long trips - no stop starts) - and if im getting these problems christ knows whats going to happen to school run mums. Heres hoping they find a fault with the CPU activating the regeneration procedure else back to petrol and not a Seat for me.

I appologise if I have broken any "post duplication rules" but there are several threads currently discussing this "DPF" problem. I posted this on the "TDi > TFSI" thread a couple of days ago:

I've noticed several threads on this "DPF" problem and my commiserations with those who have experienced it.

I first approached my local dealer about 4 months ago about changing my Mk1 Leon 150 TDi Cupra for the new Mk11 FR TDi. He noted the low milage on my existing car and his very first question was "Do you do a lot of short journeys"? He then went on to explain about the possible problems with the DPF system and recommended the 140 TDi if I did do a lot of short journeys. He also explained about the possibility of the DPF actually "not being covered by the warrenty" if it did need replacing and the fact that this could cost £1000+. (Which I think is :censored:)

I must admit I had never heard of "DPF" at the time but his advice, and a little research, was one of several reasons why I opted for the TFSI FR DSG which I doooooooo so like :D:D

I did like the 170 FR and would have probably bought it if I did a lot of miles each year. Yes I did pay a few hudred pounds more for the TFSI DSG but that was my decision. I could have paid a few hundred pounds less if I'd gone for the TFSI FR Manual.

I think the point I am trying to make is that this has been a known problem since the introduction of DPF and I believe that some people out there may have decided not to buy that model if they had been given the proper advice at the dealership. If one dealer can give you the facts then why not all of them!

RPM

I am sorry to hear about your problems KTRON but the Dealer I refer to above was Seat Letchworth. Mind you, it may have been your problem (initial problem 6 months ago) and others like them which has led to them giving more detailed advice to prospective new buyers?

RPM

Last edited:

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
just got to work and guess which light came on this morning on my 55mile drive on the m62?! i'm so :censored: off, paid over £150 on friday and ahve not really driven the car on the weekend so i see no reason for the light to be back on again - willbe straight on the phone to the dealer as soon as they open me thinks

ktron

I appologise if I have broken any "post duplication rules" but there are several threads currently discussing this "DPF" problem. I posted this on the "TDi > TFSI" thread a couple of days ago:

I've noticed several threads on this "DPF" problem and my commiserations with those who have experienced it.

I first approached my local dealer about 4 months ago about changing my Mk1 Leon 150 TDi Cupra for the new Mk11 FR TDi. He noted the low milage on my existing car and his very first question was "Do you do a lot of short journeys"? He then went on to explain about the possible problems with the DPF system and recommended the 140 TDi if I did do a lot of short journeys. He also explained about the possibility of the DPF actually "not being covered by the warrenty" if it did need replacing and the fact that this could cost £1000+. (Which I think is :censored:)

I must admit I had never heard of "DPF" at the time but his advice, and a little research, was one of several reasons why I opted for the TFSI FR DSG which I doooooooo so like :D:D

I did like the 170 FR and would have probably bought it if I did a lot of miles each year. Yes I did pay a few hudred pounds more for the TFSI DSG but that was my decision. I could have paid a few hundred pounds less if I'd gone for the TFSI FR Manual.

I think the point I am trying to make is that this has been a known problem since the introduction of DPF and I believe that some people out there may have decided not to buy that model if they had been given the proper advice at the dealership. If one dealer can give you the facts then why not all of them!

RPM

I am sorry to hear about your problems KTRON but the Dealer I refer to above was Seat Letchworth. Mind you, it may have been your problem (initial problem 6 months ago) and others like them which has led to them giving more detailed advice to prospective new buyers?

RPM

Thanks for your comments RPM...funny thing is, if I had been given advise when I bought my Leon (which I didn't get BTW) I would still have gone with the car with DPF - considering my comments above about journey times etc. Im able to post here today as I have had to take (another) days holiday as my cars still being looked at and Seat Letchworth have no courtesy cars.

Leon FR170 you have the same car as me (im guessing from your nick) - seems were in the same boat :(
Im pretty sure its a CPU fault or similar as the car SHOULD be using the DPF regeneration with the journey time/distances we both do. I will keep you informed if Seat suggest a solution or I just get the 'naughty schoolboy' treatment again.

Last edited by a moderator:

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
ktron - you guessed right i have the die sel. can't fault the dealer (so far anyway!) will get on to Seat again today - whats the likelhood they actually call me back though?!

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
just got to work and guess which light came on this morning on my 55mile drive on the m62?! i'm so :censored: off, paid over £150 on friday and ahve not really driven the car on the weekend so i see no reason for the light to be back on again - willbe straight on the phone to the dealer as soon as they open me thinks

Well this proves that the active regeneration is not doing the job, after a few days it should not have come back on, or the dealer did not completely regenerate the filter, I am starting to wonder if it’s a sensor fault rather than the filter being really blocked, I would demand your money back you paid on Friday as well, or threaten them with trading standard.
I really don’t think this Is a problem with all the TDI 170’s because my mate has had his since it was released, he drives 5 miles each way a day to work, and he does not hammer it al all, in fact he drives like a old git, I spoke with him last night and he has never had the light come on, in fact he did not even know what the DPF was or how to get it to regenerate,. As for my one I have only just had it on Friday so I will have to see.

also an option for those who filters need replacing
http://www.eurocats.co.uk/dpf.php

Last edited:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I does not say its not covered by warranty, they have to prove you have not followed the correct instructions.

The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. It's a free extra given by the manufacturer. Seat don't legally need to give you a warranty.

If you not sure of your statutory rights then have a read below. It's useful to know when shopping anywhere.

SOG Act Quick Facts

SOG Act in Full

s3atl3onFR

Jul 14, 2007
• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

i.e. they need to have really told you that the car isn't suitable for town driving or short distances at a bare minimum, otherwise car isn't fit for the purpose... not quite sure how that stands up in the courts since I'm no lawyer.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members