1.9 TDI hot start problem

sahar

Dec 3, 2008
Eastleigh, Hants
Hi All,

I am having a wierd hot start problem with my Altea 1.9TDI 55reg BJB engine. Starts perfectly from cold but if left for 5 mins when hot then engine kind of fires up for a sec with terrible shaking and dies instantly ( kind of judders as it would if speed taken below engine idling speed or not enough air/fuel supplied (??)). The second start attempt after that is perfect then.

There is not much cranking involved and the engine seems to respond to start quite quick as it does when cold. Also no errors logged in ECU.

Will soon be replacing cambelt and at the same time possibly coolant temp sensor as it was suggested that it might be the culprit but I am keen to nail down the problem by then to have it fixed in one go while car's in the garage then.

HAve anyone come across this kind of problem and could share some advice/ideas what can be wrong?

I have asked the question on another forum (unfortunatelly not allowed to paste the link) and there are some ideas (the coolant temp sensor, manifold flap motor, MAF) but no clear conclusion as those are just ideas and not the real live solutions for that problem.

Thanks for any help

S.

Bobjuana

Hot Start Problem

Hi Sahar,

Not sure whether related, but I searched these forums before having my Hot Start problems resolved so thought i'd respond in case it's of use to anyone in future.

I have an '08 Leon FR TDI 170, and for a few weeks have had a problem with the engine not firing up when warm/hot. Started fine when cold i.e. first thing in the morning, but if returning to the car after recently driven, the starter motor would attempt to fire the engine up, but it wouldn't catch and the engine would begin to judder etc (was waiting for 40 mins in Asda carpark before I could get it started the other day!).

Anyway, took into my local Seat dealer today, who have fitted a new Hall Sender/Cam Position Sensor (apparently took them around 3 hours) - and seems to have resolved the problem.

Hope this helps....

Raz_187

Apr 11, 2014
Hi, i got this problem to on my 1.9tdi stylance, when u say cam position sensor is it camshaft sensor, or crank shaft sensor?

gus332

Sep 20, 2014
gloucestershire
hi sahar,got exactly the same problem with mine,spent no end of money trying to put it right with no joy,batterys been changed,starter motor,temp sensor ,cam sensor,crank sensor,fuel temp sensor,timings been checked.had the car now for 3 months and ive been trying to sort it for 3 months.using vcds no fault codes.the strange thing is that when i go into fuel quantity there is meant to be something like 32768 and your meant to be able to change this number,the only number i have here is zero it will only let me put 300 in or below test it and save it but dont do nothing.i am going to change relay 458 next which is on the left hand side of engine bay this controls voltage to the ecu.worth a try sahar or any one else with the same problem.i have even been to seat and they told me it wanted an ecu update and they wanted £150,i managed to go 60 miles to a chap who said he would charge me £65 for an ecu update,after putting on diagnostics and checking for update no such update exsists,so seat in gloucester would of had £150 for no such update.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
.i have even been to seat and they told me it wanted an ecu update and they wanted £150,i managed to go 60 miles to a chap who said he would charge me £65 for an ecu update,after putting on diagnostics and checking for update no such update exsists,so seat in gloucester would of had £150 for no such update.

take it up with SEAT UK ask first then tell depending on the answer[:@]

sahar

Dec 3, 2008
Eastleigh, Hants
hey guys,

Please let me quote my reply to the similar topic on another forum related to golf V (the link to that thread at the bottom of this post unless removed by admin - sorry admin for posting this kind of link but this is only to help those in need!)

"guys - forget starter motor, glow plugs, battery etc.

If you read my post from, dunno, 2/3 years ago in this thread I was going the same way. Got the started motor refurbished, apparently helped initially but after a couple of months back to square one.

Went to an engine tuner then as had had enough, asked to tweak the fuel/start map, 10 min job, happy ever since.

So find somebody who knows how to change that bloody fuel map and you are sorted.

s."
quote end

So in summary, I also went to Seat stealer, got charged £80 for "diagnostics" only to be told there is no ECU update for my engine.
Just after that went on holiday to Poland (where I actually come from) and took the car to an ECU tuner. As I said in the quote above, it was 10 min job for abt 50 quid! and all was hunky dory ever since. Bet you there are ECU tuners in the know over here in the UK too.
You can replace/refurbish a starter motor only for so long and eventually it will also give in. You need the fuel map tuning done on your car and forget about the issue for ever!

HTHs

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/14880-hot-starting-problem-19tdi-105bhp-05-plate/page-3

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Sahar- that's really interesting and one to remember. Gus e-mails no use I would ring SEAT UK with my info and ask if there's a software update -just a straight question, no explanation (at first) -if there is they should have a record of weather your car has been done (thro' a dealer somewhere) -if there is an upgrade with no record ask for it to be done -gratis, at the dealer of your choice, if there isn't one I would as why a dealer is trying to relieve you of £150 best of luck

gus332

Sep 20, 2014
gloucestershire
hi nic,got a little question.in vcds if i go into 01 engine,11 login,10 adaption.then channel 1 on the left hand side of the screen is values.am i right in saying that the value for injection quantity should be 32768.mine is showing 0,if i try to put in 32768 it wont let me save it,the only numbers it will let me test and save is 0-300 but this value does nothing,is this where my hot start problem lies.thanks nic from kev

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
sorry but you're into an area outside my comfort zone without a full workshop manual it's just not worth the risk and expense if you get it wrong -- maybe someone else can help but you need to KNOW they know what they're doing first - keep us posted

gus332

Sep 20, 2014
gloucestershire
ok nic thats cool ,thanks for your honesty mate.
update:went into vcds played around with channel 01 settings and all sorted now.absolutly perfect starts when hot or cold now.took me 5 minuites in total.actually took longer to start laptop up.just goes to show these main dealers are trying to rip every one out of £150 for a 5 minuite job,only one word to describe them unbelievable.
if anyones got the same problem and are around the gloucestershire area or can get to me i will glad to help.from kev

Last edited:

Sully

Oct 15, 2014
ok nic thats cool ,thanks for your honesty mate.
update:went into vcds played around with channel 01 settings and all sorted now.absolutly perfect starts when hot or cold now.took me 5 minuites in total.actually took longer to start laptop up.just goes to show these main dealers are trying to rip every one out of £150 for a 5 minuite job,only one word to describe them unbelievable.
if anyones got the same problem and are around the gloucestershire area or can get to me i will glad to help.from kev

HI Gus332, I'm looking to purchase VCDS, but a bit unsure which SW to buy (License, Lite, etc..?) can you let me know which one you used please as I have the same problem (hot start) on my 2008 FR diesel.

Thanks, Sean

Sully

Oct 15, 2014
HI Gus, I'm trying to get in touch to see what values you entered to cure your hot start issue, can you reply please? Ta, Sean

warmstart

Oct 30, 2016
In ebay put "Wiring kit for warm engine start problem elimination" to search.

This seller has three different wiring sets for VAG engines to warm engine start problem elimination. It depend on what kind of engine coolant temperature sensor your car has. All you need to do with these wiring kits is to just plug them in and that is it.

gus332

Sep 20, 2014
gloucestershire
HI Gus, I'm trying to get in touch to see what values you entered to cure your hot start issue, can you reply please? Ta, Sean

Hi m8.dont put any values into vcds. Change your starter motor that's the problem.the starter motor has got weak and is not cranking enough for it to inject any fuel.

Last edited:

warmstart

Oct 30, 2016
My friend had same problem but only cheap solution was that ebay wiring kit.
Or new ECU.
The starter motor revolutions was fine.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members