Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Even though mine have all been done, SEAT UK phoned me to offer to pay for the 1 injector i paid labour on (great news) and then this same letter dropped through my door the other day. I think a great result for this action that everyone has taken, and fair play to SEAT they sorted me out well before the VOSA action or requests.

sunny2k2000

Under the Hood!
Sep 4, 2008
Leicester
Another failed fuel Injector on my 57 plate FR 170pd.

After reading this thread i thought i too should take this up with SEAT customer care.
A chap called Chris J. took on my case, i explained to him that this common problem for the PD engines and that why there hasn't been a safety recall.
Chris explained that they have received numerous complaints on this and that they will be taking this up with SEAT. Surprisingly Chris agreed to refund me the full amount of £684 that i had to pay to get the Fuel Injector replaced. Not only this but the remaining 3 Injectors were also agreed to be replaced.

I took my car into the dealer last Friday and 3 Fuel injectors were replaced plus my car washed ;-)
The deal said that the £684 will be sent by Cheque.

Very happy with the outcome even though I've not got a full dealers service history!

Da2-1982

Their is a tpi relating to the pd injectors has been released 7 years or 250,000 km I had my injector done for free last week

ChrisG2898

Hello all

Been reading through this thread as I've had problems with my injectors on my '08 Leon FR TDI.

I had injector nr 1 go last October and then nr3 went about a month ago. Both times SEAT paid for the repairs even though I'm out of warranty as I've done over 60k miles. So seems like the meassage has got through that there is a problem with the injectors.

But ... the last couple of days it feels like it looses power for a split second then it ok, the same thing happened a few weeks/days before the last two injectors went.

Do I take in into SEAT or do I wait for it to go pop again and hope I don't breakdown in an inconvenient place. But it might just be me and then I have to pay from them to tell me thats nothing is wrong.

I hate it when things break!

ps thanks for all the previous posts, very helpful.

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
Would try giving SEAT a phone, see if they will replace the other 2 injectors and wiring loom, after 2 failures they will probably agree to do it. Mention your concerns with it breaking down again and that it could be dangerous.

Pretty sure I can feel mine blipping as such throughout the rev range!

All FRs should be recalled now - before it goes. I have a 4 year old little girl who could potentially take a hit from behind should it fail on the motorway and yet Seat will only replace it when it goes.

ChrisG2898

I've booked it in this Friday for 'diagnostic checks' as they call it. So will let you know what happens.

I agree that they should be recalled. Not fun having the engine turn off on the fast lane of the M4 in rush hour with no warning!

Da2-1982

Their is a tpi relating to this issue (technical product information) sent from seat to all dealers. Their is the same tpi sent to all skoda dealers I know I work for skoda. The tpi states that if 1 injector fails then replace it if another one fails after that they replace the remaining 2. I aslo know if you phone seat customer care and share your concerns they generally as a good will procedure will replace all 4 even if only 1 injector fails. I am in thr process of getting the remaining 3 done soon. But that's the least of my worrys.

Since I had 1 injector replaced they carried out an ecu update and now I have a flat spot when pulling away I have had the vehicle back to the dealer and they say that the ecu can not be returned to the previous version so I'm not happy about it and need to phone customer care again and see what the say.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJXFM

Just had my car diagnosed at a garage round the corner and one injector has gone with another one on the way. They "recommended" replacing all 4 plus the loom at a cost of, wait for it, £2570.80 inc VAT!

Have phoned Seat to ask for a quote for 2 injectors from them and will chase Seat HQ for the money - car is 08 plate and has less than 30k miles on it!!! Faith in brand diminishing rapidly at the moment. Glad to hear so many other people have had success with Seat now keeping fingers crossed!!

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
That price sounds right for all 4 plus loom. Crazy isn't it!!

You should be ok, VOSA letter states VAG agreed to pay up now on these, they were pretty quick with getting mine all done - well before the VOSA action.

DJXFM

Cheers JB.

Do you know where I can find this VOSA letter? Like many on here, my engine gave up in the middle lane of the M56 whilst overtaking an articulated lorry so a new pair of pants required as well as 4 injectors. Gonna sling in a VOSA safety report as well.

Dealers knew little of the fault but Seat UK very helpful and said they would look after my case via dealers. I've got FSSH and low mileage so I expect big things from Seat. Was looking at the new FR but we'll have to see how this problem is dealt with before I go looking at any!!

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
I submitted a complaint to VOSA when all this started up and that is why they have written to me - not sure how you would get one now apart from submitting a similar complaint in writing to them or online.

DJXFM

Cheers JB, thought there might have been some kind of generic letter floating around from VOSA but I'll submit my report and hopefully I'll get a reply. Car booked in for next Tuesday and we'll have to see what happens!

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Hi, dont wait for VOSA - I contacted SEAT UK customer services and they were great and agreed for all the work to be completed well before the VOSA action. Phone them on 0500222222.

DJXFM

I have contacted Seat Customer Services and they have been very helpful so far but making no promises until the diagnosis is done (fair enough). I'm hoping that with so many excellent results for people here, many with waaaaay higher mileage than me, I will also be looked after. My missus has the 1.9L diesel engine in her Golf so if there's no success with my car then VAG are going to lose 2 of us!

Craig FR

Apr 1, 2011
I am pleased to report that following the disclosure to VOSA, I had my remaining three old style injectors replaced together with the loom free of charge. I was very impressed with SEAT Customer Services.

The car feels much more powerful and responsive since the work. I wonder if anyone has put a PD170 on a dyno after the new injectors have been installed. I also wonder whether the software was updated at the same time. If only a fix for the dpf could be found - i would defo remap the car now.

I am yet to obtain a reliable mpg figure since the work but i will report back in a week or two.

spacedmonkeys

Jan 4, 2010
Birmingham
All four of mine replaced yesterday at Central SEAT Birmingham. VOSA letter arrived last week (after SEAT had been in touch).
Not noticed any difference in performance, MPG is slightly higher, and engine slightly quieter. Or maybe i'm just imagining it. Still waiting for the refund for the injector & loom i paid for in 2010 though.
Anyway, it is a relief to no longer worry about an injector packing up on the motorway and i trust the car a bit more again... last 12 months its always been on the back of my mind whether it will pack up in a dangerous situation. The first time was bad enough...in the middle of a 8 lane dual carriageway traffic light junction in rush hour!

DJXFM

Anyone had any success getting a "free" courtesy car while the work was being carried out? I've been quoted £12 for the first day and £5 per day thereafter for a car which will mount up but I kinda need the car to get to work!! Bit miffed, but if they pay for the injectors I guess it's a small cost.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise