Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

jzr

Seat uk phoned me today. I told them what happened, asked them is it a major fault bla bla. They said no but have had a few problems. I then said well the net is full of complaints from all vag owners she wouldn't comment. I was asked about service an stuff told her it has full but not seat but that's got nothing to do with the fault. I asked what will be done was told they would look an see if they could they help towards the repair after they run tests. Oh I said, I will give vosa a ring then have a word with them as I know that there now involed in this problem as I think it's a massive safety issue, boy did thet change well mr Robertson if the injectors have failed we will replace them. I started asking have you changed the injectors design an ecu. Was told yes I ask if there not a big fault y change them. Couldn't get an answer.

I must say they do seem very helpful an I hope my local garage pulls there finger out an runs tests o I can find out what's going to happen. I have felt like **** all week since it died. I hope for sone good news soon

debi5121

Hi

Seat UK also didn't want to know about replacing the other 3 injectors after I paid for one of mine to be replaced!!
I decided I wasn't happy with their decision, so I went to my local Seat dealer and kicked off about the safety aspects, and I didn't feel safe driving on motorways...etc...
The dealership were fantastic - They managed to get Seat UK to replace the other 3 free of charge, and I didn't have to pay anything towards labour costs...Result.
:)

Seat UK did say to me that is now their policy not to change all the injectors. They claim now the wiring loom has been replaced the other injectors should no longer fail.

Thanks must go to everyone this thread who has shared their information, because it's only as a result of their time than I saved around the thousand pounds…..Don't you love the Internet sometimes?[/QUOTE]

jzr

Well I don't want just one done, my wife won't go no were nere the car. I still can't see how they have not done a bloody re call. It's like Russian roulette with are lives

DJXFM

Well, my Leon is still tucked away in the corner of my dealership in limbo. They don't want to replace the injectors because it's a sporadic fault, and I don't want to pick it up because I am concerned about how safe it is to drive. I don't care how sporadic it is, I don't need the engine to stop on me again in the middle lane of the motorway!

Seat customer services felt they had pushed as hard as they could have done with the dealers. They have been very helpful throughout. I also submitted a VOSA safety report and phoned them to discuss my options given Seat's findings and their reluctance to do anything about them. The chap at VOSA who looked at my report was a little shocked to find that they were not willing to carry out the work. He chased VAG customer services and rang me back to say that he had told VAG to tell SEAT to tell the dealership to replace 4 injectors and the loom!! It might take a little time for the message to filter down but maybe it'll work as it's a genuine safety issue and it has come from the top.

Incidentally, I asked VOSA about what problems would result in a recall for the injector faults. He said that any injector fault that causes the engine to stop is looked at immediately and the injectors are replaced. They constitute a tiny number of incidents and the statistical analysis they have done indicates that a recall for every 2.0L VAG diesel engine in existence would take years to clear when many of the engines actually work fine. VAG have a real issue with spare injectors at the moment and are having trouble clearing the backlog they already have. So they are trying to act on the failures when they happen and as quickly as possible.

Except mine it would seem!

jzr

I hav gotta wait till tues day morning for them even to plug the bloody car in, pissed off .com.

My first dealing with my local garage an my last.

Seat UK Customer Care - Annoyance!

OK, as above I have been dealing with an 'unnamed dealer' and Seat UK all week, despite them both promising to call me with updates all week, it's myself who has been doing the changing.

To cut a long story short, I was been told the garage had put a claim in at Seat UK for my injectors to be replaced. I was contacted yesterday (Friday 5th August) to be advised Seat UK will NOT replace my injectors until they go but when/if they do all injectors and wiring loom will be changing as part of goodwill. I find this TOTALLY unacceptable! I do 20,000 miles a year and with my 4 yr old girl too, why should I wait for an accident to happen and potential result in death. Later I received an e-mail from the garage confirming the same.

I have this morning wrote to VOSA highlighting concerns and recent correspondance from Seat UK.

Seat's policy isn't to change them until they fail as there isn't that many been reported, which I highly think is bull :censored:.

I hope I come back with some good news.

Luke

jzr

It's all one big joke, this the first seat I have bought an it's the last I think. My car broke down a week ago today an I am still none the wiser why.

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Seat UK Customer Care - Annoyance!

OK, as above I have been dealing with an 'unnamed dealer' and Seat UK all week, despite them both promising to call me with updates all week, it's myself who has been doing the changing.

To cut a long story short, I was been told the garage had put a claim in at Seat UK for my injectors to be replaced. I was contacted yesterday (Friday 5th August) to be advised Seat UK will NOT replace my injectors until they go but when/if they do all injectors and wiring loom will be changing as part of goodwill. I find this TOTALLY unacceptable! I do 20,000 miles a year and with my 4 yr old girl too, why should I wait for an accident to happen and potential result in death. Later I received an e-mail from the garage confirming the same.

I have this morning wrote to VOSA highlighting concerns and recent correspondance from Seat UK.

Seat's policy isn't to change them until they fail as there isn't that many been reported, which I highly think is bull :censored:.

I hope I come back with some good news.

Luke

Hi Luke,

I can't see if you have had a failure or not from your posts, if you haven't had at least one fail then I can see why they aren't being done by Seat.

As posted previously it was 2years and 50k miles between first and second failure happening and my colleague hit 100k in his and none failed from an earlier model than mine.

It also seems that Seat believe changing the loom prevents any further failures?!

I can understand your annoyance due to this issue but Seat seem to be agreeing to replacements quickly once a failure has occured.

JZR this isn't a Seat issue but a VAG Mercedes issue.

jzr

In my eyes it is a seat issue, my car is a seat, I have spoken to seat uk an my car is stuck in a seat stealer.

I just don't find right that I have to wait over a week to find out whats wrong with the car via seat, when I have given them the fault codes.

It's just one big shambles. I am going to email watch dog next week. See if they can help make vag pull there fingers out.

papercliptank

Hi everyone, you can add mine to the list too now. 56 plate fr170. A mechanic friend of mine has diagnosed that injector No 2 is down. The parts alone are £654, injector and loom. I called Seat UK as its out of warranty, they said to take it to the Seat main dealer and they'll take it from there. So i'm hoping for a goodwill as its a major part to be failing after 4 years and 60k miles. I'll let you all know how i get on...

Hi All,

Sad news for me, another injector looks to have gone now! I had injector 2 replaced back in march this year and then coming home from work on Friday got the same problem...cut out on motorway yay. RAC towed me to my friends garage where he is having a quick look before taking it back to the main dealer. I will try and get all remaining injectors replaced now as I don't want this happening again. I will let you know how I get on

Forgot to say my '56 plate fr has only done 85,000 miles and has a full Seat service history so no excuses for these injectors being so unreliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted VOSA the other day and my e-mail has been passed onto VW Group HQ.

From what I believe, there is a shortage of injectors at the moment so they are trying to sort the failed cars out first and then move onto customers like myself, who are querying them.

matt_j

I found this forum just before I bought my 06 FR TDI and read this topic. I bought the car with 43,000 miles on it....

After 2 months of ownership and just hitting 49,000 miles I was in the outside lane of the M62 on saturday when the car's engine cut out and the MFD said something like engine failure and the glow plug symbol flashed on and off. There was no response from the engine and I guided the car across three lanes like a pro but of course it was just free-wheeling. This could have been a lot worse on a very congested motorway.

Dropped the car off at seat preston with the recovery vehicle who said they had never heard of anything like this ever going wrong with the tdi - I pointed out it was all over the internet.

Had a call at lunch today, diagnosed as injector failure, will be fixed by the end of tomorrow at seat's cost.

This thread and help has made that kind of response happen so a big thank you to anyone who contributed. I will check to see if they replace the loom and other injectors, hopefully this doesn't happen again and thank GOD I don't have to pay anything.

Hoping everyone who ever did pay for repairs gets their money back.

Well done seat forums :funk:

jzr

Hi guys had mine changed today, had all four done, with no hassle what so ever, car was going to be put on there computer I thought, then would contact seat uk. But just had a call to say cars all ready.

One thing he did say that they had just changed the 4 injectors he didn't mention the loom, bit confused with that one, do they have to change the loom or not.

Any way cars running like a dream now. Thanks to this site I have just saved my self over 2k.

Had a slight issue with the dealer, but one call to the dealer principal and all sorted.

Car is going in Saturday morning, first thing - been put in a courtesy car (A '11 Plate Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDI) and they are inspecting the injectors to see if any faults can be found - of which Seat UK are paying for. If they need replacing - Seat UK have already agreed to change all injectors and loom!

So I hope they are or do show a fault - so I can have them all replaced.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Had a slight issue with the dealer, but one call to the dealer principal and all sorted.

Car is going in Saturday morning, first thing - been put in a courtesy car (A '11 Plate Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDI) and they are inspecting the injectors to see if any faults can be found - of which Seat UK are paying for. If they need replacing - Seat UK have already agreed to change all injectors and loom!

So I hope they are or do show a fault - so I can have them all replaced.

That's class how they've agreed to replace them if they are nackered. What if they aren't? Will they charge you the labour etc?

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Seat UK have given the garage a claim reference number so I don't pay a penny for any labour.

That's class, I'm chuffed for you mate!! Have you actually had any problems? (apologies if tis has already been covered in the thread) Or do you just want them to check them?

That's class, I'm chuffed for you mate!! Have you actually had any problems? (apologies if tis has already been covered in the thread) Or do you just want them to check them?

No problems at all, but my main concern is I do 20,000 miles a year and I'm heading to Scotland next weekend, so as they wouldn't change them - they agreed to pay for them to be inspected and then changed if need be.

I also have a 4yr old daughter which is another concern....

papercliptank

Hi everyone,
Well I dropped mine off at the dealers on Tuesday after speaking with Seat UK and have had the remaining 3 injectors all replaced for free, they also refunded me for my RAC recovery (£97) and gave me a free coutesy car for the duration of the repair. Got the FR back today after work and all looks good. Hopefully that should be it now!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.