1.9 TDI Intermittent Hesitation - MAF Failure?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Hi Guys, wonder if you could help me

I have a Toledo TDi 110 (ASV engine code) and after driving through the heavy rain last week it has developed a hesitation which grows worse the longer the car has been running. Its like the car has gone in to limp mode but if you keep your foot down and let the revs build gradually it snaps back to full power. It mostly happens in 3rd 4th and 5th gear and when you stop stationary full power comes back until you are in the higher gears again.

I've unplugged the MAF and now the car is consistently down on power all the time with no variation which makes me think this is what has failed, but given the amount of ageing electrics it wouldn't surprise me if it was something else.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
For anyone who comes across this thread in the future it was the MAF that had failed. After posting my first post the car almost totally died and wouldn't rev beyond 2000rpm. I unplugged the original MAF and got the full rev range back with reduced boost.

Fitted a new MAF a couple of days later and the car is back to full power and fuel economy has also risen.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.