Help with new car choices

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Evening/Morning all,

I'm having a little bit of an issue nailing down what car I'm after next so I thought I'd post here to get some opinions from you lovely people. Come the 2nd Jan I move jobs and lose my company car (Ford Focus 1.0T 125bhp) to gain the ability to get myself a sort of weekend car as my work is walkable from my house.

Previously to the Focus I had a Mk2 Leon FR 200bhp all stock, this time I'm looking at the following cars.

- SEAT Mk2 Face-lift Leon Cupra R 2010 (this the k04 turbo?)
- SEAT Mk5 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 2016
- Ford Focus ST-2 2015
- Ford Fiesta ST-3 2015

As you can see I'm stuck between a pocket rocket in the ibiza or fiesta or the beasts in the focus and cupra R. Would any have driven these cars to know the differences that do not show up on some spec sheets?

I have about £13,000 tops to play with.

Any help or idea would be great

Thanks in advance

Simon

Leericho

Nov 25, 2017
I had a 08 plate stage 2+ edition 30 dsg last year, very capable car, the one I had had every option ticked.
370 hp with torque to match and youd probably have 4k change out of your budget

The build quality/cabin/interior is much better than a mk2 leon

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I had a 08 plate stage 2+ edition 30 dsg last year, very capable car, the one I had had every option ticked.
370 hp with torque to match and youd probably have 4k change out of your budget

The build quality/cabin/interior is much better than a mk2 leon

Thanks for your reply Leericho, I had looked at the Golf but didn't know about the edition 30 so thanks for that. There's something about a golf that makes it too German i think, this is the reason I first went for a Mk2 FR as a previous car as it just looked more sporty on the outside. As you say the interior will be far better put together but looking auto trader an edition 30 with less that 40k miles is kicking up 10-12k which I could get the cupra R on a 2012 plate from the golf's 2008.

Cheers

Simon

Leericho

Nov 25, 2017
I wouldn't let mileage put you off, mine had around 90k but had been owned by a fanatic, every mot etc etc

Ive had to release some equity and unfortunately I had to downsize to a cheaper car, havent had my cupra long, but its quick which I knew it would be, handles quite
The interior is the big let down for me but luckily its only used for short journeys, not sure what the facelifts and newer models are like tho...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I wouldn't let mileage put you off, mine had around 90k but had been owned by a fanatic, every mot etc etc

Ive had to release some equity and unfortunately I had to downsize to a cheaper car, havent had my cupra long, but its quick which I knew it would be, handles quite
The interior is the big let down for me but luckily its only used for short journeys, not sure what the facelifts and newer models are like tho...

I think as this going to just used for maybe 50 miles a week something is pulling me towards the newer car as I'll have this one for longer (hopefully).

I haven't been in a face-lift mk2 but I loved my previous mk2 so I'm hoping it's the same sort of thing. The one thing about a Leon is that it's pretty much a golf with a little aggression in the styling. I sat inside a new gold gtd and the new Golf R and the interior is pretty much identical apart from 2 badges. If I got the R I'd want it to be a little more obvious. Something you seem to get with SEAT.

Cheers

Simon

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.