Driver's seat 'clunk'

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
My driver's seat has started making a clunking noise on medium/heavy braking and acceleration. Appears the seat is moving slightly on the rails enough to make the noise but not enough for you to feel it. Bracing the seat by pushing on the clutch rest stops the noise.

The only bolts to tighten are 2 at the front of the seat and this didn't solve it. Think it must be the sprung spigot that keeps the seat locked in place in the runner that's worn cos it seems to do it in any position. Guess I need to take the seat out and see if I can put some tape round the spigot to pack it slightly, or even replace it, or perhaps just turn the stereo up.

So, anyone else had this and been able to sort it ?

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
I've this sound too. It's a Golf IV issue too.

Saw a fix for it on a VW site. uk-mkivs.net I think.
Seat out of car, knock on a part on the seat, I don't remember which one.

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
This is the thing I was thinking about.

Kudos to "Mick B".

This is not a bolt problem but the pressed joints.If you take the seat out and turn it over you will see a series of pins with a flared end.What you need to do is get a heavy hammer and hit the end of the pins whilst holding something hard against the other end of the pin.This will tighten up the pin and resolve your knocking and rocking issues.I have done three sets upto now all with positive results.

RockingRecaro.jpg

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Excellent. Thanks very much.

Any chance this can be somehow done with the seat still in?
Getting access to it and tightening some sort of clamp?

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Cheers for finding that v-g.

Looks like its seat out then. Was hoping to avoid seatbag connector unplugging / battery disconnect but looks like you need to to do a proper job.

Anyone tried one of them 'memory-saver' battery thingies to plug into your cigarette lighter to keep your radio code (cos I've not got one) when the batteries disconnected ? Does it only supply enough voltage/current to keep code, but not power other systems (such as airbag !) ?

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Had a look at these pressed joints under the seat yesterday and spray a load of white lithium grease on them and other parts in the area and the clunking noise is gone today. Excellent
Will see how long before it comes back and then think about taking the seat out but this seems to work

Feb 28, 2010
Southampton
Both my front seats "rock" sods law they are the elec ones so prob this soding problem but likewise dont wana take them out!!

Will try and use a clamp to "tighten" up that pressed ring to prevent rocking, perhaps its a way instead of hitting it and also keeping the seat in :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.