Just got a Cupra, K1 maybe, couple of questions

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

Just got myself an 08 plate Candy White Cupra, which has the K1 kit etc...

I am honestly not sure if a genuine K1 or not. I've read the threads and all seems quite ambiguous but I really like the car so aren't actually that bothered.

It doesn't have the Cupra word/badge, just K1 on the boot, it also has dual exhausts rather than centre and the rear plastic bit above the exhausts is black as are the wheels, mirrors, front grille and door pillars. Doesn't say K1 on log book but understand none of them do? It was a demo with Seat for about a year from new.

Nice car anyway!

I've gone from two MK1 FR PD150's, a MK2 Facelift FR TDi 170 and now this Cupra, deffo a much different power delivery which I am getting used to.

I've had various quick cars before including a Sierra Cosworth hence the name!

Do people think the Cupra's are laggy at all? I cant tell if its just that, or if there may have been a slight hesitation more in 2nd gear, anything known on these?

The car hasn't been used much between MOT's, like a few thousand miles and only 300 miles last year! but has always been serviced regardless, so thought maybe just lack of use. I do have VAG COM/VCDS if there is a way to check boosting properly or anything else?

Cheers

CB

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Do people think the Cupra's are laggy at all? I cant tell if its just that, or if there may have been a slight hesitation more in 2nd gear, anything known on these?

The car hasn't been used much between MOT's, like a few thousand miles and only 300 miles last year! but has always been serviced regardless, so thought maybe just lack of use. I do have VAG COM/VCDS if there is a way to check boosting properly or anything else?

Hmmm, are you talking about turbo lag? If so, I do find my Cupra quite laggy as in I hit the pedal, theres a pause of nowt happening and then I'm pinned to the seat. I had hoped the intake would help, but still feels the same. Once the turbo kicks in, it pulls and pulls. But its just waiting for that initial kick.

You can log actual vs requested boost in VCDs. But and I haven't investigated further, I believe it needs to be at WOT. When I did mine, the actual boost was down a bit, but I think its because if the throttle is eg 50%, then it reduces the actual boost as a % of requested if that makes sense. So basically pedal to the floor for logging.

Reactions: Cossie-boy

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
Congratulations on the Cupra! The K1 should have the side skirts too and the exhaust is a single centrally mounted oval. It’s possible that you might have a Cupra with the BTCC kit instead, I seem to remember these being quite popular on demo vehicles.

Reactions: Cossie-boy

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Cheers lads

It may just be me, as seems to be feeling better now, but I shall check VCDS

Thanks Quackers, yes has the kit but as you said could have had it added as demo as with the dual exhausts, has the K1 badge though and I love it!