Listers - Parts



Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 16:08   #1
Jimbobcook
and karma is restored...
 
Jimbobcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,004
Jimbobcook has 10 points
Buying MK2 Facelift Cupra R

Afternoon All,

Could I ask any MK2 Facelift Cupra R owners to let me know any issues they have had with their cars so I know what to look for when I go looking later this week.

I had a MK2 Leon FR previously but I am unsure on the differences between the facelift and normal model?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Simon
Jimbobcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 18:43   #2
kazand
Is powered by Medtronics
 
kazand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brum
Posts: 4,208
kazand has 100 pointskazand has 100 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobcook View Post
Afternoon All,

Could I ask any MK2 Facelift Cupra R owners to let me know any issues they have had with their cars so I know what to look for when I go looking later this week.

I had a MK2 Leon FR previously but I am unsure on the differences between the facelift and normal model?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Simon
All Cupra R models are facelifts. The newer the model, the more bits got fitted as standard. Ran one of the last in the country from new until 2 years old, 30k odd miles.
Issues in that time?
1. Under bonnet insulation sagging/mouldy. Common fault.
2. External temp probe packed up, causing climate control to throw a wobbly.
3. Tyres. OEM Pirelli's seemed very vulnerable to sidewall/pothole damage. Worth checking that tyres fitted are of correct speed and load rating, also how worn are they? Factor in the cost of replacement.
4. 4 wheel alignment, a common Mk2 fault. Check for wear on inner edge of rears.
5. Check all lights are working, particularly the self levelling on xenons. Later models had 'tick' led rears.
There are some other things, do a search on here, I believe the fuel pump follower can fail so worth checking out.
Good luck!
__________________
Emocion red Cupra 290 Black here ...
Emocion Red 280 gone
Speed Blue LCR 265 gone....and missed....
kazand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 20:53   #3
RnPnJ
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
RnPnJ has 10 points
Door locks are also shyte. I've changed one. 2 more to go.
RnPnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:52   #4
Jimbobcook
and karma is restored...
 
Jimbobcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,004
Jimbobcook has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazand View Post
All Cupra R models are facelifts. The newer the model, the more bits got fitted as standard. Ran one of the last in the country from new until 2 years old, 30k odd miles.
Issues in that time?
1. Under bonnet insulation sagging/mouldy. Common fault.
2. External temp probe packed up, causing climate control to throw a wobbly.
3. Tyres. OEM Pirelli's seemed very vulnerable to sidewall/pothole damage. Worth checking that tyres fitted are of correct speed and load rating, also how worn are they? Factor in the cost of replacement.
4. 4 wheel alignment, a common Mk2 fault. Check for wear on inner edge of rears.
5. Check all lights are working, particularly the self levelling on xenons. Later models had 'tick' led rears.
There are some other things, do a search on here, I believe the fuel pump follower can fail so worth checking out.
Good luck!
Perfect buddy that will be most helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnPnJ View Post
Door locks are also shyte. I've changed one. 2 more to go.
Is there something to test regarding this? do they just not unlock or stick etc?

Cheers

Simon
Jimbobcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:55   #5
Legojon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 570
Legojon has 10 points
If you came from a Leon FR, you'll be used to most of the niggles. I get ice inside the car, rattles from the door panels. My personal fave is I usually have to shut the boot twice. Cause first time it never shuts right. But I had the same on the FR so thought meh.

When I bought mine, the seller couldn't prove the cambelt / waterpump had been done. So if it hasn't it may be worth haggling off the price / requesting it done as condition of sale.

Cam follower I had done as well, that was about £35 and half an hours labour. May be worth just changing it regardless.

As kazand said there are some differences between the years. Mine is late 2011. So I get the RNS315 (which I don't think the 2010 has). I also get the LED rear tail lights (which I prefer). There may be a couple of other differences which I can't recall.
__________________
Seat Leon Cupra R 2011 (revo I) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435417
Seat Leon FR+ 2012 (revo I) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=421491
Legojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:04   #6
Jimbobcook
and karma is restored...
 
Jimbobcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,004
Jimbobcook has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legojon View Post
If you came from a Leon FR, you'll be used to most of the niggles. I get ice inside the car, rattles from the door panels. My personal fave is I usually have to shut the boot twice. Cause first time it never shuts right. But I had the same on the FR so thought meh.

When I bought mine, the seller couldn't prove the cambelt / waterpump had been done. So if it hasn't it may be worth haggling off the price / requesting it done as condition of sale.

Cam follower I had done as well, that was about £35 and half an hours labour. May be worth just changing it regardless.

As kazand said there are some differences between the years. Mine is late 2011. So I get the RNS315 (which I don't think the 2010 has). I also get the LED rear tail lights (which I prefer). There may be a couple of other differences which I can't recall.
Thanks for these buddy, I was expecting the problems to be the same but then I wasn't sure on FL changes as I have never been in one. Yes I think the lights are the circles like my old car which I liked anyway so that doesn't bother me as much. As for the stereo I can easily change it as I did that previously.

Good call on the Cam Follower, I assume any garage will know what I'm on about lol The guy said he can prove a Cam belt and water pump done at SEAT so that's happy days.

Is there anything I can check regarding the Charcoal canister as I had issues with this on my previous FR...

Cheers

Simon
Jimbobcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:17   #7
Legojon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 570
Legojon has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobcook View Post
Good call on the Cam Follower, I assume any garage will know what I'm on about lol The guy said he can prove a Cam belt and water pump done at SEAT so that's happy days.

Is there anything I can check regarding the Charcoal canister as I had issues with this on my previous FR...
Any decent garage lol. Since my car is mapped, its "recommended" I have the follower changed at every service now as a precaution. Apparently mapped cars wear them faster.

Um, well, I had a clicking noise and the EML came on. I scanned it and it was the carbon canister. Raced across to the garage. Guys said not to really worry about it as it doesn't effect the running of the car, just the emissions. If I was that worried just to open the petrol cap and relieve the pressure. I had the N249 (I think it was lol) changed as a precaution. Which I think was £70ish. EML hasn't come on since.

Edited:
My bad, it was the N80, not N249.
__________________
Seat Leon Cupra R 2011 (revo I) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435417
Seat Leon FR+ 2012 (revo I) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=421491

Last edited by Legojon; 09-01-2018 at 10:19.
Legojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:28   #8
Legojon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 570
Legojon has 10 points
Ah, here it is...

Cupra vs Cupra R... and R update:

"In addition the Leon claimed more striking exterior styling, arch-filling 19-inch alloys as standard and distinctive 'R' branding on the central grille, instrument dials and the remote key. August 2011 saw extra kit added to the Cupra R's already bulging spec list, including SEAT's latest media system, Bluetooth connectivity, bi-xenon headlights and LED rear-light clusters."
__________________
Seat Leon Cupra R 2011 (revo I) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435417
Seat Leon FR+ 2012 (revo I) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=421491
Legojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:44   #9
Jimbobcook
and karma is restored...
 
Jimbobcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,004
Jimbobcook has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legojon View Post
Ah, here it is...

Cupra vs Cupra R... and R update:

"In addition the Leon claimed more striking exterior styling, arch-filling 19-inch alloys as standard and distinctive 'R' branding on the central grille, instrument dials and the remote key. August 2011 saw extra kit added to the Cupra R's already bulging spec list, including SEAT's latest media system, Bluetooth connectivity, bi-xenon headlights and LED rear-light clusters."
You sir are a legend! Ok so I won't get the updated RNS stereo, it's something I can swap out as it has Satnav already so should be good to go hopefully.

Lights are not an issue for me, I found a Cupra R with 30k miles with Cambelt change etc for my budget so I'm happy.

The Standard Xenons in the soon to be mine may be a pain if I get a failure but that's life lol

I must say I'm quite excited haha

Cheers
Jimbobcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 23
22john, bete noir, Chippyabs, cupra_ahhh, EddieP, ejarvo, F@ruk, FN Track Works, Jaruba, Jimbobcook, kazand, Legojon, lodge, metroid, niallain, OldManPooley, propane94, RnPnJ, Rusty2k, Skinner, Stevenknox, Storey1984, Wizzard
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06.




Website © 2014 SEATCupra.net

Disclaimer: SEATCupra.net is not an official SEAT site and is not affiliated to SEAT in any way. Visit the Official SEAT Website.

SEATCupra.net are not directly responsible for information which maybe posted in this forum.
All content is viewed and used at your own risk. We do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed herein are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of SEATCupra.net or SEAT
All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.