Steering Wheel Vibration at standstill

AP2000

Toledo TDi 130
Apr 12, 2007
Midlands
I have noticed that my steering wheel vibrates a lot when the car is at a standstill. If I press down on the top of the steering wheel the vibration and noise stopped. I've made sure the coloumn is locked in place.

Anothe problem is that the the car's steering wheel seems to want to offset to the left and if I straighten it when driving the car will drift to the right.

All this happend after my clutch got changed, so I wondering if the hit the kerb with one of the wheels.

Any ideas? I guess a wheel allignment will fix the drifting, but what about the vibration - a wheel balance?

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Balancing will do nothing at standstill about the vibrations. drifting is tracking most likely. Having a problem with tracking at moment. Think there could be a bush or something on its way out.

dave02cupraR

is at stand still with engine running ? if so could be steering rack? or pump

AP2000

Toledo TDi 130
Apr 12, 2007
Midlands
Yes, while the engine is running. Think I will get the allignment sorted out on Monday and ask them to check if they can work out what the other problem is while it's on the ramps.

The whole clutch including dual mass flywheel was replaced recently with an uprated paddle type friction disk. I have only noticed the vibration happen since then, would that have caused it?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Im having a few problems. Mainly the front wheels, they have been aligned and it seems there is some play in the two front wheels, as thought wheel not on right? Bolts are tight, i can feel it while drivong, the car pulls slightly in different directions. And to compound problems my lock nuts are firmly on the car due to my key wringing off and fooking itself! Any tips, a socket wolloped on?

AP2000

Toledo TDi 130
Apr 12, 2007
Midlands
Took the car to get laser aligned and now the steering wheel is straight when I drive. In fact it feels like a new car.. well worth £25.

Now the vibration, it look like it's some sort of plastic between the dash and steering wheel. I think I've read other people having similar problems.

1981whips

Aug 11, 2007
my wheels seem the same as googies an juder when hit 60+ wheels have been balanced tracking done fliud check but bushes look f****ed new wishbones goin on soon but is there anythin else could be goin

1981whips

Aug 11, 2007
is there an easy way to check these as when i had me tyres balanced there seemed alot of play in the wheels but both was in the air so dont know if it was as bad as it seemed