'Plug & Play' kits for TDi's - Autoexpress

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
crap

just a few points:

1) dyno's can differ quite a bit from one another.

2) my gues is all the box does is shift the incomming signal upward. so if its a pulse width signal it will listen to the ecu's incomming frequency of pulses and shift this slighty higher, thus increasing the pressure on the fuel rail thus increasing the fuel delivered per cycle.

3) i bet they didnt do a brim the tank test, because i recon the trip computer is just confused as the engine is outputting slightly higher power for less throttle.

4) i cant see how unless you custom map an individual engine and adjust the timing and fueling to squeeze the last drop of power out of each cycle, which would be slightly different for each engine, that just by increasing the fuel rail pressure your going to achieve any improvement in fuel economy.

5) oh and the last comment's were: they saw an improvement in emmisions, no mention of mpg, and you need to modify your driving style. well der, if i drive like a granny i can easily sqeeze more mpg out of my Toledo.

Mar 8, 2007
It's a digital tuning box?

Theyve been about for years?

Had one on my Fabia VRS and although it definitely delivered a power increase I found they used more fuel and made power delivery lumpy.

All they do is adjust fuelling.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
It's a digital tuning box?

Theyve been about for years?

Well yes and no, it might be a digital tuning box, but it's not designed for outright power like the ones we tend to think about, more for improving low-end torque from what I have read. Presumably the economy improvement comes from being able to hold onto higher gears and not change down so often. Fuelling/power at top end of rev range is less tinkered with.

I agree the test method is rubbish though, difficult to say how much the computer MPG reading might be affected on different makes of car/ECUs - but the only proper way to see a result is a brim-to-brim test, preferably over several tanks of fuel.

Interesting idea though, surprised none of the other remappers have come up with economy maps given the current fuel costs.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.