Veggie oil?

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
If you want to burn veggie oil in a diesel engine, it's best if you get an older vehicle with indirect injection, like an older Mercedes or Peugeot. Then if it screws up the injector nozzles, you won't have pure fuel squirting directly at the top of the piston -- which it can melt through like a blow torch.

The best advice for a TDI owner has already been given several times in this thread: DON'T DO IT! There is no way you can save enough in fuel costs to cover the potential repair costs.

lewism3

Yeah point taken guys. Just fed up with being taken for a ride with diesel prices being so high. I remember when diesel was cheaper than petrol!!

Was going to convert to LPG, but that seems a bit pointless now.

BTW whats the best thing to remove veggie oil from your driveway!!!!!

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
I put 10L of oil in my Lupo sdi when I had it. it had done 120k so didn;t really matter. Mixed with half the tank I already had in, made no difference. Aslong as you mix when it colder your be fine. Make sure you use rape seed oil tho.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
been reading up on this tonight.i have a 100% biodiesel station approx 18 miles away.they advise changing gradually over to 100% over time.
it seems that the non pd's are fully ok with biodiesel
n terms of official compatibility, despite the majority of diesel vehicles on the road being fine on 100%, only a handful of companies will officially approve their vehicles for 100% use. The companies that have approved 100% biodiesel are VW, Audi, SEAT and Skoda. They have approved all their cars built between 1996 and 2004 on 100% use of ”RME” Biodiesel (Biodiesel made from Rapeseed)
it seems we are in a minority when it comes to manufacturers approve the use.
it's not that great a saving at 92p a litre,but my thinking is get thr car running ok on biodiesel,then run it with veggies oil.i'm sure my macro card will come in handy with buying oil.

steeewww expect some pm's soon :whistle:

dErZ

Jan 29, 2008
Surrey
I use to run 50% mix in my old VW 2.4d transporter :) not gonna bother with the Fr...

On the way home the local BP was 1.19.9p for diesel WTF!!!!

sssstew

Editing your spelling
been reading up on this tonight.i have a 100% biodiesel station approx 18 miles away.they advise changing gradually over to 100% over time.
it seems that the non pd's are fully ok with biodiesel

it seems we are in a minority when it comes to manufacturers approve the use.
it's not that great a saving at 92p a litre,but my thinking is get thr car running ok on biodiesel,then run it with veggies oil.i'm sure my macro card will come in handy with buying oil.

steeewww expect some pm's soon :whistle:

of course, any time jase :D

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Just a follow up to my earlier posts on the subject of Veggie oil, been running my Toledo 110 on saisburys cooking oil for the last 13 months no problems driving ,no problems starting, only discernible difference was in the sound of the engine, gone was the 110 rattle, just a quiet BMW like BRRRR all the performance was there albeit 110 style (pocket rocket after 3000rpm but just a linear acceleration up to that point) BUT....here we have a week of cold minus temps just gone by....and so was the performance....oh she would start OK, took a bit longer to fire up but on the move...no boost, performed just like and SDI, so for all you VW brains out there, what sensor was causing the ECU to shut down the boost??? was it a temp sensor??? surely not because this was all the time the weather was cold, NOT just when the engine was cold. I checked everything all was OK.....but then, the weather got warmer and as if by magic back comes the boost .So how does the ECU know when to shut the boost down. (Just a note I never had this problem with a Rover 2 liter TDI but it did have a fuel heater in the filter housing and just shrugged off cold mornings) Also just lately I have played around with several borrowed MAFs and all of them give this same performance on my 110 all the real boost comes in after 3000rpm, I suppose a remap or chip is the only way I,ll change it?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
well if there's another reason to go veggie,then its the bloody engine noise.one reason i was reluctant to go diesel.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.