Veggie oil?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
aye! that's the word, you need a fuel heater which will also help the suction side of the pump, a vac guage on the fuel line would be usefull and maybe a pump in the tank switched manually?

st33ly

As stated before Do Not use in a PD seen some horrer customers cars with this

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Hmm.....I suppose my real question was: which sensor told the ECU to shut down the boost??? is there a sensor in the pump which can detect viscosity changes? (I agree with st33ly if this were a PD I wouldn,t chance it....I think only Merc OK all their Diesels for Veggie (They were pioneers of the Fischer Tropfsh diesel from coal experiments and I think they stuck with it because of the advantages it gave Germany during WW2 (bit of history there for anyone who cares to look it up) I will, sometime next year, be experimenting on my Renault TDCI common rail, I will try to run it on pure Sainsburys cooking oil and see how long she goes before problems (I,ll have a spare car by then and enough money to buy a new engine) Lets see if Renault common rails are more robust than VW PDs

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
well today i took the plunge andf whacked 12 litres into my just under half full tank(£8.84 so roughly 73p a litre).
drove back from cheshire oaks to home which is about 85 miles,no problems at all(touch wood)going to add a bit more next week then wheen the car onto bio-diesel.
does anyone run remapped tdi on veggie oil?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
my guess is that you were just not burning sufficient fuel to generate the boost pressure, it is after all using "wasted" energy to drive the turbo, re the Renault, make sure the turbo/egr are in good shape before you start, they seem adverse to bad or no egr, can't believe their turbo's are particularly rubbish

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Just a follow up to my earlier posts on the subject of Veggie oil, been running my Toledo 110 on saisburys cooking oil for the last 13 months no problems driving ,no problems starting, only discernible difference was in the sound of the engine, gone was the 110 rattle, just a quiet BMW like BRRRR all the performance was there albeit 110 style (pocket rocket after 3000rpm but just a linear acceleration up to that point) BUT....here we have a week of cold minus temps just gone by....and so was the performance....oh she would start OK, took a bit longer to fire up but on the move...no boost, performed just like and SDI, so for all you VW brains out there, what sensor was causing the ECU to shut down the boost??? was it a temp sensor??? surely not because this was all the time the weather was cold, NOT just when the engine was cold. I checked everything all was OK.....but then, the weather got warmer and as if by magic back comes the boost .So how does the ECU know when to shut the boost down. (Just a note I never had this problem with a Rover 2 liter TDI but it did have a fuel heater in the filter housing and just shrugged off cold mornings) Also just lately I have played around with several borrowed MAFs and all of them give this same performance on my 110 all the real boost comes in after 3000rpm, I suppose a remap or chip is the only way I,ll change it?
another penny just dropped----some of the Yanks were having trouble in cold weather with straight diesel this was a result of a too small orifice(no tittering at the back) in the pickup pipe because of the roll-over valve and clumping of wax, the cure is to drill it out, modified units have a suffix "H" in the part number and should be OK :funk:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
the temps are getting a nice warm here and the diesel is getting way too dear,,, my mechanic is way skeptical abut using this veg stuff and says no fuel injector cleaner will be able to clean the crap caused by this kind of fuel,,, any comments about that?

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
sorry to act stupid but what is bio-diesel??????
Also then I would be able to put some veggie oil in my 99 cordoba TDI????

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Rich - biodiesel is diesel made usually with about 5% natural oil like rape seed oil.

Your cordy should be a non PD unit so yeah fine to chuck straight in.

Carlo - he does have a fair point, without a long term test of it no-one could be sure.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
how much should I start at???
Thinking chuck say 5L in when I fill up and see, or is less recomended???

i went with 12 litres straight off in around half a tank.
put 15 litres in yesterday in about 1/4 tank of my previous mixture,then filled with 25 quids worth of regular derv.been to ikea and back today.over 50+mpg and i wasn't hanging around on the way home.
i'm intending on filling with full 100% bio deisel next week when the garage gets a delivery,once this tank full is empty.
got to locate and check fuel filter sometime this week

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
hey guys, i have a 1.9D Ibiza, engine code is 1Y, so its the 64BHP non turbo, is it safe to put in a few litres of veggie into the diesel tank? been wanting to do it for ages, as an experiment more than anything else. also, anyone here using SVO in ireland? i know the UK can have 2500 litres per year, but i dont think ireland has such a thing, and im wondering what happens when the customs dip the tank?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
If youve got the old no direct injection 1Y engine then you can chuck as much of the stuff in as you like, ive run a 50% mix in our old golf with the same engine and its fine, a little rough to start when its below freezing but the old dog runs fine with it.

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
cool, think ill give it a go once the weather gets a bit warmer. ive seen in a few posts talking about a Bosch diesel pump, why do you need to have a bosch one? and ive also seen people saying that the fuel filter has to be replaced more, is this still the case even if your just putting the odd bit in here and there?

also just wondering if anyone has a heated fuel filter in their car or if its even possible in VAG? i was checking out www.mercedes190.co.uk and some people there install heated fuel filters, wired to the fuse box in the engine and as far as i make out it thins the veggie oil as it passes through the heat.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
put it in neat,but don't fill the tank with just oil,i'm running approx 70%-30 % diesel-oil at the moment,as its still quite cold at the moment,and i have only just run my second tank. soon i will be running 70%-30% oil-diesel if possible,but with anything i imagine one car will run slightly better on one mix to another,its a case of suck it and see.if you have trouble starting the car ,then thin it out a bit more with diesel.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
cool, think ill give it a go once the weather gets a bit warmer. ive seen in a few posts talking about a Bosch diesel pump, why do you need to have a bosch one? and ive also seen people saying that the fuel filter has to be replaced more, is this still the case even if your just putting the odd bit in here and there?

also just wondering if anyone has a heated fuel filter in their car or if its even possible in VAG? i was checking out www.mercedes190.co.uk and some people there install heated fuel filters, wired to the fuse box in the engine and as far as i make out it thins the veggie oil as it passes through the heat.

you dont need to have a bosch fuel pump.

It would be good practice to replace it more often, i do our golfs each year at its annual service as its only a cheap item.

Noone on here has put a fuel pre heater in, but it does work if your running pure veg oil as it gets a bit thick when the temps are low. the alternative is to do a mix like some of us do with normal diesel.

so what is performance/mpg/responsiveness like on oil and diesel anybody?

performance - seems the same
mpg - seems the same
responsiveness - seems the same

thats with a 50/50 mix.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
the temps are getting a nice warm here and the diesel is getting way too dear,,, my mechanic is way skeptical abut using this veg stuff and says no fuel injector cleaner will be able to clean the crap caused by this kind of fuel,,, any comments about that?
if I had a 110 not"overtuned" and didn't paste hell out of it I would definetly use new oil in it to approx 30% and more in what we call summer, oil changes become more important and it would be good to know that the injectors were in good condition to start with ie if they were getting toward 70K (miles) clean and reset, the crap should be only on the nozzles and in the CC oil I guess start small and work up , however no warranty given or implied etc etc cheers Carlo:headhurt:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.