Veggie oil?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Wow.. what a thread.. to think I was doing this in my Cordoba for 12 months almost 3 years ago now!

Really wish my A2 was non-PD :(

if ever there was proof that human beings will fook up a diesel engine long before veggie oil will.:D

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Just a note (off topic -sorry) My 110 Tolly was bought at 77,000 miles with the original MAF and it has always been like that (all after 3000 rpm - I must say it is one hell of a boost by the way) even on diesel. At least veggie oil has not changed anything (I agree with Bastaard that it may have issues (must Vag com it one day) And I agree that with a fuel heater I don,t think I would have had the loss of boost problems, at least - after the heater had started to work. Anyway over year now and with that all I have to report......I think cooking oil is definitely OK in non PD engines. Good job too...... I,m just listening to this commie giving us the latest Budget and I just know that the road tax on my " Powerful Gas Guzzling Sports Car" (Tolly 110TDI -50 odd miles to the gallon) will be increased. What the hell do they think is economy? my 850cc mini did less to the gallon than my Tolly.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
when I fooked up my MAF the car behaved like yours does,,, nothing [and I mean really dead] till 2500-3000 rpm then BANG! fleeing like a scalded cat,,, I went merc after that,,,

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Mines the same whatever MAF. I,ve tried at least 4 different ones. Went Merc. as in Pierburg MAF???? which one and how much??? (Note I went Merc once....a 1974 200D was that car slow....but when you closed the door....it felt like you were inside a Cheiftain Tank, it was solidly built and it must have impressed me because I bought very few petrol cars after that.

genghisackroyd

I tried Veggie oil and had nothing but problems - had to change the fuel filter was the easiest bit...rough running is not enough to describer the probels I had last summer. all in it cost me best part of £320 (£45 veggie oil / £50 to change the filter / £ 40 diesel to top up the veggie/ £ 120 to the garage to tow and empty out the veggie mix / £ 60 to refill the tank with good old mineral deisel planet burner).

OK so I have a '99 110 Passat but same engines - no?

A good idea but bad in practice!

I'd not advise anyone to put veggie oil in unless the manufacturer specifically advises that it can be used.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Mines the same whatever MAF. I,ve tried at least 4 different ones. Went Merc. as in Pierburg MAF???? which one and how much??? (Note I went Merc once....a 1974 200D was that car slow....but when you closed the door....it felt like you were inside a Cheiftain Tank, it was solidly built and it must have impressed me because I bought very few petrol cars after that.

yes, I'm talkin pierburg maf, if you do a serach there's all the info you need,,, also in the tdifaq IIRC,,, I'd never go merc, I hate'em,,, big engines, small power [apart for the amg series of course], cost a heck and the quality at the beginning of the 00's went down a lot,,, everybody was complaining,,, besides they're the only company who screwed up on a car chassis [two times: on the class A and on the smart, which is not so smart actually] which is not exactly as unimportant as say a wiper,,,
besides this, there's the image people who buy mercs have here in italy,,, :sick:

genghisackroyd, I think, as with everything, that you need to do this payin attention to a certain number of things,,, stew has your same engine and he's had no prob and he uses the stuff since years now,,,

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
I tried Veggie oil and had nothing but problems - had to change the fuel filter was the easiest bit...rough running is not enough to describer the probels I had last summer. all in it cost me best part of £320 (£45 veggie oil / £50 to change the filter / £ 40 diesel to top up the veggie/ £ 120 to the garage to tow and empty out the veggie mix / £ 60 to refill the tank with good old mineral deisel planet burner).

OK so I have a '99 110 Passat but same engines - no?

A good idea but bad in practice!

I'd not advise anyone to put veggie oil in unless the manufacturer specifically advises that it can be used.

£45 of veggie oil must have filled the tank up! did you go straight from diesel to 100% veggie

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
oh dear,wife rung this morning"the car is really sluggish,theres no turbo.i have left it at my dads and borrowed his."
perhaps i used too much,and as its low on the gauge right nowi asked her to brim it with derv.i'll see whats up when i get home:(

genghisackroyd

£45 of veggie oil must have filled the tank up! did you go straight from diesel to 100% veggie

No - the tank was about 10% full and that took it to about 60% - It then topped it up the same day with mother earths original nectar.

In all it ran for about a mile with a 90% veggie mix and then 'almost ran':cry: with a 50/50 mix

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Bastaaard I agree about modern Mercs wouldn,t touch one....will search for that Pierburg MAF and try it (will keep posted when I do) Ha ha talking of Merc engines, that one I had was the size of a truck engine nearly 2 ltr and only 55Ps but hey...my insurance went down by 400Deusche Marks per year (I was only 18yrs old) Back to the veggie.....all engines are different and as many testers will tell you.... the VW TDI has a great variance in its output/behaviour car to car.....so I,ve had few problems....others have had lots... I once had a bad wife....I got another one...she,s great!!! that,s life.

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
dunno if any of you noticed, but if you spill a bit of veggi oil putting it in, and dont bother cleaning it off for a few days, its a mofo to clean off. car wash brush and sponge wont lift it. its baked onto the car and alloy and all the dirt is glued to it!
had to use a more brittle brush for the alloy and ill have to get the mesh car wash thing i have to the quarter panel.
teach me to pour it in slowly, and in daylight!

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yep definately agree, its very hard to budge, had to polish it out on mine.

But on the same note i spilt it down the side of the old Golf last week, the wind splattered it up the C panel, wiped straight off with a clean cloth, now the panel beads water and shines! :)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
mine has tell tale signs i have been a lazy sod filling it up.still getting running problems,a quarter of a tank left and then we are going back to straight diesel

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Interesting reading.. I never realised people were using cooking oil in their cars.. You guys must be totally messing up the national statistics for healthy eating. They would assume that their has been a 40% increase in obesity when in fact it's just a 40% increase in tightarses ;)

Where can you get the proper EN BioDiesel from I've never seen it and assumed it would be more expensive?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members