Price of diesel

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Surely its is a matter of time before the Lorrys blockade the refinerys again. Even though it causes massive disuption it is the only way the price will go down.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
For a big barge of a car its actually got really good power delivery if you stick it in 'S' mode. It a flappy paddle auto which is a shame, but in 'S' on the auto box it will redline each gear in kickdown. I think its about 230bhp, so its no slouch. Brilliant engine, and if it was in a smaller car it would be even better.

PhilofCas - apologies, completely my f"ck up. I meant that diesel feels comparatively cheap to me at the moment based on 'mpg vs, cost/litre' basis comparing S3 to TDi.

It's a f@cking liberty what they are charging for both fuels. My folks live in Spain and are still paying nearly 25% less for both, although the gap is closing fast (so they say).

With diesel going up like it is, owning the S3 in the future doesn't look so expensive. I feel for diesel owners as you have effectively done the honorable thing and switched to a more economical and less CO2 heavy fuel yet you are still getting shafted by our politicians who are spending your extra duty on expenses for new kitchens and paying their families to breathe ;). Who says it pays to do be honorable?!?!? :censored::censored::censored::censored:
Just making people want to me out of UK tbh. I cant see myself being here in the next 5-10 years.

Feb 8, 2008
Essex
As said before in this thread, there are new laws against blockade's at refinary's. They just can't do it anymore, the government will not allow them to, the only thing they can to is a go slow on the M25 or equiv, but guess what, that uses their Derv up, so no win....
And as i have said before, the only people who suffer from a blockades are the normal motorist's and people who work in the industry (plus emergency services), eventually everyone will need fuel again. Thats the reason why the proposed 'don't buy fuel day' didn't work or hurt the large oil companies either......
We are all in a NO win situation

the bear1986

Jul 25, 2007
norwich
what we need to do is kick this crap government out of parliament as they are no goog tax *****s what we need is to stand up as 1 and show that we can't be pushed around thats why we get taking to the cleaners every day is because no 1 sticks together in this country so come on lets this once go against the government and force them to lower the tax on fuel duty.

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
Well in Shetland it is up to £1.28 a litre, and that was a couple of days ago so probably higher now :-o I sold my old vxr because of petrol prices, but there can`t be much in it now !!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Stopped at a garage in Worcester last night, BP Ultimate Diesel........

£1.28 a litre:blink:................ :-o.................:cry:....................[:@]

ini

Jul 29, 2007
You only need to look at the new 'green' car tax system, and it is obvious that diesel prices are set to massively increase over the next few years.

I dont think 'green' has much to do with it unfortunately.

sfalcus

Mar 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
its a total load of bollox.

they are increasing fuel duty by 2p in october, thats regardless of oil prices.

I dont understand why people vote for labour, all they have done is increased shed loads of taxes and kicked motorists in the teeth.

I was reading an article on the sunday times website about a test between a BMW 520d and a toyota prius, on a 520 mile journey, the BMW achieved 50.4 MPG and the prius only 46 MPG, yet the prius pays £15 a year for road tax, its just all wrong.

They charge a % tax on fuel duty, why not change it to a set figure so that oil prices are the only thing that affects fuel costs, every 2p oil price rise = 3p tax rise too - its scandalous.

I'd love to get out of this **** hole dead end country with its pathetic government who do nothing for anyone and tax us to death.

westoncraig

reviver of old threads :)
Aug 7, 2005
weston-SUPER-mare

I dont understand why people vote for labour, all they have done is increased shed loads of taxes and kicked motorists in the teeth.

I was reading an article on the sunday times website about a test between a BMW 520d and a toyota prius, on a 520 mile journey, the BMW achieved 50.4 MPG and the prius only 46 MPG, yet the prius pays £15 a year for road tax, its just all wrong.

They charge a % tax on fuel duty, why not change it to a set figure so that oil prices are the only thing that affects fuel costs, every 2p oil price rise = 3p tax rise too - its scandalous.

I'd love to get out of this **** hole dead end country with its pathetic government who do nothing for anyone and tax us to death.

i laughed when i read this...yet totally agree!

im just going to vote for whoever taxes me less! regardless of who it is!

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire

Don't totally blame Labour, see this extract from petrolprices.com

"Fuel tax in the UK is constantly changing and has risen steadily over the last 15 years. Between 1993 and 1999 there was a rapid increase with duties on fuel increasing by 3% above inflation. This was due to a major change in petrol taxation in 1993 when the Conservatives introduced the Fuel Price 'escalator'. This was a way of the government making money and also to help protect the environment by discouraging people from using their cars.
This fuel escalator forced prices up from one of the lowest in Europe to now one of the most expensive. When it was first added, fuel prices rose by 3 pence a litre and tax contributed to 72.8% of the total cost. By 1997 the escalator had added 11.1p to the cost of unleaded petrol and was at 75%. It didn't get any better when the conservatives left office and Gordon Brown took over, as the escalator increased and 3 pence was added per litre. This took tax up to an incredible 81.5% of the total price of fuel.
Despite the fuel escalator being abandoned in 1999, fuel prices did continue to rise rapidly, with a 2 pence a litre rise after the 2000 budget, contributing to the fuel protest. These rises were however argued by the government to be as a result of increasing oil costs rather than tax increases. This argument does hold some truth when we look at the graph above, showing that although the overall price of fuel has risen, the percentage of tax has stayed relatively constant and even dropped slightly this year.

In April 2005, tax on petrol and diesel were charged at 47.1 pence a litre which with VAT added also, the total taxation makes up a huge 69.9% of the price we paid for unleaded and 67.3% for diesel.

British drivers pay two taxes on petrol they buy at the pump and fuel campaigners complain about the fact that VAT is charged on the cost of fuel and the duty and feel it should only be calculated on the cost of the fuel for a fairer petrol price.
Duty on fuel in the UK increased again on 1 October 2007, with an increase of 2.00 pence a litre on unleaded and diesel and an even greater increase on LPG and natural gas."

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex

I agree.

I am not voting labour thats for sure.

depresion

Dec 14, 2005

No it doesn't, fuel tax is not a percentage tax (VAT is) so a 2p rise in oil is a 0.35p tax rise. As PhilOfCas pointed out the escalator came from the conservatives but hay let's not let facts get in the way of your rant shall we?

The problem we have is who can you vote for, the conservatives we know are worse, the Lib Dems don't stand a chance and you are then into the xenophobes and loonies (UKIP, BNP).

We would have been so much better off if we went to the Euro with the rest of Europe.

westoncraig

reviver of old threads :)
Aug 7, 2005
weston-SUPER-mare
well like ive said earlier in the thread....hijacking of shell tankers is prob our best solution..bury them in the ground and were all set haha!its not all about blockaids, its about hijacking! haha

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members