03 1.9tdi sport Ibiza EGR

kelford1988

Firstly hi to everyone as I'm a new member, and sorry to start another thread on the egr, but ive searched and read for hours and still sant find the answer.

I have the aformentiond car and have been looking through the threads on blanking the egr, after seeing pics of how sludged the pipes get I figured this was well worth doing.

Problem is I've read conflicting information about the CEL which i dont want on all the time. Does blanking the egr on bring this up one certain models and not others? If so will I be able to fully blank it off or will I have to use another plate with a small hole?

Cheers

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
assuming it's a 130 ASZ just plug the vac pipe on top, but by now it may weel need a good clean out(depends on milage) if you get a cel unplug the pipe and it should clear after several starts

kelford1988

yep thats the engine. It is 65k so I would imagine a good clean is in order. by the vac pipe where do u mean? To the right of the engine? can I ask what sort of things people have used to block the pipe as when I do it I want to do it right and not have something go wrong down the line.

cheers

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
yep thats the engine. It is 65k so I would imagine a good clean is in order. by the vac pipe where do u mean? To the right of the engine? can I ask what sort of things people have used to block the pipe as when I do it I want to do it right and not have something go wrong down the line.

cheers
the 1/4" rubber pippe which goes to the egr valve TOP do a search there are some pics somewhere, I use a small nail whose head is slightly larger than the pipe bore pushed in head first but not all the way (so you can pullit out) then push pipe back on stub job done:whistle:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
just plug the pipe that goes to the TOP of the "flying saucer"(1/4" rubber) and push it back on job done, don't worry about blocking the exhaust gas etc unless you are stripping it all out anyway to clean

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
How long did the CEL light to come on for those who just tried unplugging the EGR vacume pipe?

Tried it on mine today, and went for a drive.....defo feels smother on low revs, and no CEL as yet.....just wondering if it takes like an hour of driving for the ECU to realise whats going on.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
well i imagine I will strip it out to clean as I guess there will be some gunk in there with it not been new. Is it a striaght forward task?
there should be a guide either here or on Fred's use a torch to look in the egr before starting what could be a 2-3 hour job Chris- don't know the answer depends if you have ECD15 or 16 keep us posted

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Looks like mine doesnt mind the EGR been unplugged :)

Still no CEL and cold/low revs running is way better, power seems more ready at low revs (if that makes any sense)

george130

Mar 6, 2008
Norfolk
i have a 130 sport... tried pulling off the hose on top of the 'UFO'... it was putting up a fight! Is it just a pull harder situation, or is there a sort of method to it?

thanks

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
i have a 130 sport... tried pulling off the hose on top of the 'UFO'... it was putting up a fight! Is it just a pull harder situation, or is there a sort of method to it?

thanks

The rubber will have semi-bonded to the metal due to heat. Try twisting it slightly so it breaks the bond between the rubber and metal. Then just pull slowly and off it comes....

Mine was a bitch to get off 1st time, but now its a piece of piss.

Mar 8, 2007
So let me get this straight you just pull the rubber hose off the top of the EGR flying saucer?

What do you "plug" it with?

And so does this disable the EGR?

I have a Skoda 1.9 VRS will it throw a CEL?

strugers1

i removed my egr all together and it took a week of driveibng before the cel came on!!i getting it switched off soon anyway

Mar 8, 2007
Right I stuck a screw in it just now and started it up runs ok no cel light at the minute but it was only idling.

I have left the pipe off the "flying saucer" do you need to plug the little nipple coming from the egr or can it be left as it is (open)?

Mar 8, 2007
Right I stuck a screw in it just now and started it up runs ok no cel light at the minute but it was only idling.

I have left the pipe off the "flying saucer" do you need to plug the little nipple coming from the egr or can it be left as it is (open)?

bump

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I just put a bit of insulation tape over the end so nothing can get down the hole.

Mine runs sooo much nicer at low RPM without the EGR. Still no CEL either, been driving about for a week now without the EGR vacume pipe.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.