TDi chips

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
hi folks I have a non Pd 1.9 TDi,
I have seen lots of these chips about and wondered if they are any good or just a resistor on the MAF.
Its for a 1998 car so its not worth spending £300+ for a real ecu remap.
Please tell me what you think and if thet give any gains at all.
cheers
2002598334198080_1.jpg

2_0.jpg

VP4%2002c.jpg

2d91_1.JPG

brad1

dont touch them, well its up to you if you do, most of them are a resisitor in a box, which basically fools the ecu into thinking the engine is cold and making it deliver more fuel iirc thus some supposingly extra power gain, i know what you said, but save your money, there are some cracking remap deals around ;)

Deleted member 32025

you could do that for a couple of pence by buying a small resistor and putting it across the correct wires. But as said it no good for engine, remaps can be quiet cheap and if you get a proper one can give around 50bhp with a good amount of torque as well.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
what about the ones that plug inline to the fuel pump, are they just the resistor mod also? I know they put them across the MAF and temp sender but I can't see how they can work with just a resistor in the fuel pumps connections.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The ones that go to the fuel pump simply adjust the reading from the fuel temperature sensor (which is sited inside the fuel pump) and the ecu thinks the fuel is hotter than it really is. As a result, more fuel is injected to compensate for the hot fuel (which is less less dense) and the engine is simply overfuelled.

If you look at the more complex ones in the pics you posted, all of them are literally "straight through" except for one wire which is interrupted to modify a single sensor reading.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for late, I am now starting to think I might go to the derv doctor instead, I hear they have done some good things with the 1.9 TDi engine

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
but as I said above, its a ten year old car not worth spending £300+ on map for it, otherwise I would run it down to superchips, they arn't that far from me and I have used them in the past will good results.

strugers1

my mate got one of the ebay jobbies and gained 30bhp and mae 311ft lb torque proven on rollers on his 130 ibiza

Dobby

Sep 15, 2008
The Picture in the top is what I have on my PD100 Ibiza 2005, I bought one of these because my car has warrenty therefore I cannot remap as it will void it.

This chip has definatly made it quicker and torquey but this thread has really put me off, what should I do, leave it on or take it off?

Dobby

Sep 15, 2008
your call buddy, only you can make the choice, we can provide all the facts and opinions, have a search back through for tuning box in the tdi section for loads more. after reading it all make your choice.

Is the tuning box totally different or something?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
but as I said above, its a ten year old car not worth spending £300+ on map for it, otherwise I would run it down to superchips, they arn't that far from me and I have used them in the past will good results.

I suspect an Upsolute map will be comfortably below £300.

Personally I'd go Upsolute all the way, they've got loads of experience especially with the older non-PD VAG TDIs.

Superchips on the other hand have never been held in particularly high regard on here or other forums for the TDI remaps. Whether that's based on any sound reasoning I don't know, but if I had the choice I'd be going with the company that has the good reputation for VAG TDI remaps.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise