TDi chips

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
ok, update.
I have recived the box today, (nice and fast shipping :) ) strieght forward to fit and to set up, you have to turn the ajustment all the way anticlockwise (about 15 turns of the pot) then start the car, once it has been running for around 1 min start turing the control clockwise until the idle starts to be abit rough, once you get to this point back it off another 3 times anticlockwise.

This all done starts the same with no problems, just has my frist runing from workin it in (mainly B roads) and I can feel the diffence, car pulls better and even in 5th it pulls alot stronger, I have seen that if I boot her to high revs there is abit of smoke but that is only at high revs, if this is a problem you can back off the pot in the box to help stop this.
It will take me a week or so to see what milage I get out of her.

So to recap, so far so good, it has inproved the pull though the gears, but there is a little more smoke at high revs.

I will update once I have done some more testing and some better runs.

Deleted member 32025

so basically you paid £80 for a variable resistor ??

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
lol no it is more that that, I am an electronic engineer, and I would know it it was just that :)
it llooks like it is micro controlled, there is an led that starts of flashing slowly when you first start the car, after about 10 secs it flashes fast and then stays on, this is the box learning the signal and ajusting the output.
I had to open the box and I can see a 8 pin dil in there but unable to get the type number as it is filled with resien.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
from what I have found out the tuning boxes you put inline from the MAF are just resistors to fool the ecu to think the air is cooler than it is, the tuning boxes that go inline to the diesel pump are normaly data controlled so just putting a resistor would not work.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
from what I have found out the tuning boxes you put inline from the MAF are just resistors to fool the ecu to think the air is cooler than it is
A more common approach on the TDIs is to connect a resistor in place of, or inline with, the fuel temperature sender, making the ECU think the fuel is hotter than it is, causing it to inject more.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Muddys comment above is only applicable to PD TDIs. Non PD tuning boxes plug into the connector for the fuel pump. The one youve bought looks almost the same as what i had on my old car, less the MAF black wire. Anyway, at the end of the day my understanding is that its changing the signal to the fuel pump to inject more, nothing high tech, it doesnt interface with the ECU at all and its not a 'brainy' box, its just making the fuel pump put more in by changing the signal it receives. Theres not a lot more it can do from there. And the fact it has an adjustable screw means its just changing the signal to inject more or less, like a variable resistor.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Muddys comment above is only applicable to PD TDIs. Non PD tuning boxes plug into the connector for the fuel pump. The one youve bought looks almost the same as what i had on my old car, less the MAF black wire. Anyway, at the end of the day my understanding is that its changing the signal to the fuel pump to inject more, nothing high tech, it doesnt interface with the ECU at all and its not a 'brainy' box, its just making the fuel pump put more in by changing the signal it receives. Theres not a lot more it can do from there. And the fact it has an adjustable screw means its just changing the signal to inject more or less, like a variable resistor.

Yes I agree to all of that, but what I meant was that is it is micro controled as it learns the signal and then changes it, as this signal is from the ECU it is in digital form (data) if you put a variable resistor on a data line it will do nothing until you get to the point it lowers the signal to a point where it is to low to be read by the fuel pump.
As I have said I know it will not be as good as a map, it could never be, BUT there are gains that I can tell for sure, I am running the first tank thought it at the mo. and I will see what it has done to the MPG.
It would be intresting to hear from that member that has one fitted and is going for a map and RR to see the before and after :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The ecu controls the injection at the injectors, not the fuel pump. The fuel temperature sensor is fitted in the fuel pump, and this tells the ecu what temperature the fuel is so that it can adjust injection accordingly. The "variable resistor" you have fitted to your car is just telling the ecu that the fuel is a different temperature, and you can adjust it to change what it tells the ecu.

ToledoRaj

Jan 22, 2002
N. London
Visit site
gtv once again you are being my guineepig!!! I've been looking into uping the power on the tdi since before i bought it! LEt me know detailed results and are you going to try it with vegi?

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
first tank was with 75% I have just filled up with 100% diesel now so I will see how it runs with that.
"gtv once again you are being my guineepig" :) thats what the forums all are about, eh helping each other out, I know some people "always know best" ect on these type of forums but if we can all share out what we know and can find out we can answer any question that comes our way :)
Also if you are ever in the area you would be welcome to try it :)

ToledoRaj

Jan 22, 2002
N. London
Visit site
thats what the forums all are about, eh helping each other out, I know some people "always know best" ect on these type of forums but if we can all share out what we know and can find out we can answer any question that comes our way :)
Also if you are ever in the area you would be welcome to try it :)

So true, and thanks for the offer of trying it out, that would be cool.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Next update, just worked out what mpg, first tank now gone though her, and she returned 54mpg that is about what I have been getting, if there was any movement it was about 1~2mpg better with it fitted. Will have to see what it does not neat diesel.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.