Diesel from a drum.....?

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
:cry::cry::cry::cry:hi i have searched and nothing

car is ARL TDI 150 2003

i had been given a drum of diesel from garage , and i put it in ,

car was smoking like hell, wasnt running and lots of smoke (smelt funny )

got down the road , 2mins away car was idling iraticly , i nocked of (clouds of smoke)

it then wouldnt start , as if no fuel was there,

took fuel filter drain off and could smell chlorine , drained it for a bit , and black sludgy shite was coming out

it then started back up running fine but still the smoke , it then started to tapand no power so nocked it back off

what is the consicuenses

my only guess is that in the bottom of the drum there must have been a little chlorine in the bottom

it is going in tomorrow to be drained and looked at

so im alsking for any help/info people might have:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
well my filter was due to be changed anyway, but the guy assured me it was diesel , i have had some before without fail, it smelt like it and looked the part , it wasnt until we unscrewed the fuel filter bleed valve if thats what its called and could instantly smell chlorine , its still on my hands now ,,

but only for a bit this crap came out , it then cleared up but still not right it was a darker colour which maybe the millers i put in last week

Last edited:

brad1

This is half the reason i dont want 50 litres of diesel in a drum for a score of my mates cause im worried what the consequences will be, its red diesel im offered, i wont touch it, i only use shell fuel, maybe the odd **** garage fuel if its early hours and its the only place open. Hopefully it isnt an expensive fix, and maybe a lesson learned never to accept drummed fuel. It possibly could be the **** sludge etc blocking the fuel lines. I remember when i put bigger nozzles on my car, they injectors wasnt calibrated and they didnt allow fuel through and every time i tried cranking i just got white smoke out of the exhaust, same principle tho

p30esteves

well my filter was due to be changed anyway, but the guy assured me it was diesel , i have had some before without fail, it smelt like it and looked the part , it wasnt until we unscrewed the fuel filter vleed valve if thats what its called and could instantly smell chlorine , its still on my hands now ,,

but only for a bit this crap came out it then cleared up but still not right it was a darker colour which maybe the millers

Could be diesel mixed with petrol.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Nobody noticed the smell of chlorine when you were filling it up? Would've thought there must have been a reasonable amount in there to cauase problems.

The obvious route one is to drain and flush like Stew said. And keep your fingers crossed.

As said before hopefully lesson learned.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
ohh a big one,

no notice of the smell , it smelt like diesel does even felt the same when i tipped some over my hand and floor,

gona drain it , fuel treatment and some injector cleaner i think, can i add the two in the same fuel or one per tank,

cheers

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
rite have spent all day draining out , still cant seem to get it to run

do they bleed them selves or is there away to sort it ,

car seems to not want to start

couldnt find the injectors was thinkin they were in the rocker cover , but couldnt get that or the EGR off

cheers

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
i couldnt get the rocker cover off , tried to remove egr yesterday and couldnt even get that off either ,

i have searched for ' what happens when you run out of fuel , and posts seem to suggest you just keep cranking , from what we believe there is no fuel coming through,

it will start by spraying stuff down the airbox , but wont keep running even on full throttle ,

anyone have diagrams of the fuel lines (or colours of the pipes to go where ,

we had the fuel sender /pump (not sure of term) and cleaned that up, but want to make sure the lines are back in the right place there was a blue colour and grey/silver i think

cheers

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
I just hope none of that sludge made it into the pump as that's not designed to pump that .... as above, get it ALL drained and flushed out - new fuel filter too!

new filter was added with fresh derv filled by myself

just rang seat for fuel lines just in case approx £270 + vat and he couldnt obtain a price for one sction of it

hope i dont need this route:-o

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise