Diesel from a drum.....?

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
sorry fella, i just can't see that part number on etka.

pump/jet for arl is >038 130 073 AL or #038 130 079 BX with qty 4
on the injector page it doesn't give me arl as an option.
just says diesel eng.:agr,alh,ahf,asv,aqm. nothing for arl

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
Cheers guys . Have just pick my old injectors bk up. And have picked up them ones out of the golf , have been told to try them so worth a shot. If not am gona put a bid in for an fr+ that's been wrote off which ends 2moro fingers crossed injectors I jus picked up will be ok tho

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Why does he think that ?
Is it someone you know & trust, or could they just be trying to get more money out of you ?

MR T

Jul 10, 2004
BOONDOCKS
why would your engine be shagged are they saying this from a money point of view in that it would be cheaper to swap engines rather than change pipes injectors pumps whatever? i too know a dodgy man selling drums of diesel he openly says some are kept in anti freeze drums :think:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
If any of the fluid which contaminated the diesel has been injected into the bores, then you might have bent a con rod due to hydrolocking. Basically, water (if that's what it is) doesn't compress and burn like diesel does so it'll cause over compression and something has to give. That could be what he's talking about. A compression test would tell you whether the internals have been damaged or not, as long as you have relevant good figures to compare yours against.

If the con rods are bent (or shortened) then your engine is pretty well knackered to be fair.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
well i went down on sat to see the damage, he said it was stuff like paste down the holes where the injectors are , and said it would circilate arounf the engine wearing everything away

im having him to fit these injectors and take a chance , im gona call him later to hear the outcome,

at first it was £1k fir injectors and a pump now its £1k to change the engine

either way i was looking at a grand

i also bought a new injector harnes at £50 from VW as was told by a few these are common to fail ,

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
nope not back on the road, have now taken it away from that garage , complete liars
final straw was when he said hed tried towing it for a bump start, went down and all the disks were rusted, car hadnt moved for weeks !! and then found out they fitted the old injectors back in over confusion between old and new ,

so dont know what to to next really , car is in another garage , hes not convinced that the tank is 100% clean and is going to drain it all again , take pump out and put in a clean barrell and get it puming clean fuel in and get the old stuff returning to another container untill its completly clean fuel in and out

i trust this guy as hes a fried of my friend , my m8s weary of who works on his car too and he trusts him , + their his parts too and he doesnt want the earth for them

hi mark thanks for the offer m8 , are you a mechanic then ??

cheers

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I hate to say "I told you so", but, from my first post in this thread -

"You're going to have to clean out the whole system. That means taking the tank off and cleaning it out, cleaning the lift pump that lives in the tank, disconnecting all the fuel lines to clean them, cleaning the filter, the fuel cooler, the tandem pump on the cylinder head and all four PD injectors, which are under the rocker cover.

The fuel cooler is a suspect for blockage, but if you've sludge there your injectors have already seen it and will be clogged as well.

The PD injectors are fed from a common low-pressure fuel channel in the head, pressurised by the tandem pump. If you're very lucky, you might get away with flushing and cleaning this low-pressure rail (and everything up to it, of course, tank, pumps, filter, cooler), so not needing to dismantle the head. Removing and refitting the PD injectors needs special tools.

But just cleaning one bit or the other isn't going to help. The sludge, contamination or whatever is all through the fuel system, which is continuously pumped all the time the engine is on. Get rid of it all or it will come back. "

As you found out, the sludge *is* all through the system, injectors included.

If the new injectors have been fitted to the uncleaned system, they could well be scrap now, sludged up by contamination left in the lines.

The lift pump (the electric pump in the tank) only delivers fuel to the tandem pump on the end of the camshaft. This tandem pump must be running as well in order to circulate fuel round the head and back to the tank. Which means the engine must be running. Catch-22

If the sludge is at all abrasive, your tandem pump could be affected. There is also a strainer in the tandem pump, a final fuel filter, which will have to be reverse-flushed to try to clean out any contamination.

The fuel cooler in the return line is likely to be clogged with sludge and may need removing to sort it out. It is basically a miniature radiator, and so has lots of very small tubes.

I can't see any alternative to stripping the system down to its components and cleaning them all completely (or replacing them) before reassembly. That includes cleaning the fuel channels in the head - you already know that the sludge has got that far, it's in the injectors.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
a friend of a friend in mountain ash, cj sully or something, hes done something similar to a golf before , not exact ) but the pumpe and injectors were fooked so he had to replace them etc

i had cleaned to the best of my abilities , , couldnt get the tank off , but took the pump out the tank and cleaned

sully (the guy who has it now ) isnt going to take chances wants to drain everything and start again ,

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
wel an update , seems like there an expensive little light at the end of the tunnel

hes stripped the tank off the car , done everything again

i bought new injectors , a 2nd hand pumpe, and hes had it running over the wkend
although it was smoking quite a bit ,

havent heard the latest yet , but fingers crossed its just what was left in the exhaust system

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.