Decat on TDi - Fail MOT?

brad1

They are talking b0llocks, ive got straight through, no cat or back box and mine passed a mot fine ;)

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
It is correct that you pass MOT without Decat.

BUT:
That doesnt make it legal to drive without.

If you have VISUAL inspection and the catalytic converter is missing, you may fail MOT...

Greets, Alex

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
It is correct that you pass MOT without Decat.

BUT:
That doesnt make it legal to drive without.

If you have VISUAL inspection and the catalytic converter is missing, you may fail MOT...

Greets, Alex

In England you can drive, pass an MOT, have an accident and do what the hell you like with the CAT removed from a diesel car and it is all legal. It is different in other countries like all other laws are differnt but in England you have no worries.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
In England you can drive, pass an MOT, have an accident and do what the hell you like with the CAT removed from a diesel car and it is all legal. It is different in other countries like all other laws are differnt but in England you have no worries.

Not true, Its any car newer than a certain date requires a cat.
The date itself escapes me however this is the case.

^^
Information provided by an ex officer of the law

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Not true, Its any car newer than a certain date requires a cat.
The date itself escapes me however this is the case.

^^
Information provided by an ex officer of the law

Not true - he's lying if he's referring to MOT it might be true at point of production but on a diesel it is NOT an MOT requirement as none of the emissions tests they do test any emission that is affected by a Catalytic Converter.

Visual smoke test and C02 test only - that's it. Mine has sailed through 2 MOTs now and that's with the tester noticing the exhaust each time, with no silencers and no Cat it's not like you can miss that it's not standard.

The Cat on our cars is not active, it's passive and as such has no input to the engine management system, all it functions as is a glorified soot catcher - mine actually runs better and smokes less without the stupid thing. To be entirely honest, Cats only work in countries where the exhaust temperatures are high enough to activate the material inside the Cat - short journeys in the UK will never achieve that temperature and as such .... most of the time having a catalytic converter is pointless.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Environment Minister Lord Rooker announced two new tests would be introduced into the MOT by the Driver & Vehicle Testing Agency (DVTA) from 1 March 2006. These are the diesel smoke test and the catalytic converter test.

Jeff Rooker said: "The catalytic converter test will apply to petrol powered light goods vehicles and cars. It measures emissions of pollutants from the engine, and these must be below the limits set out by the legislation.

"The diesel smoke test will apply to diesel powered cars, light goods vehicles, heavy goods vehicles and public service vehicles. This will measure the density of smoke coming from the engine, and vehicles with excessive smoke emissions that would obscure vision will fail.

Source here.

No catalytic converter test for diesel engined vehicles.

However, "The MOT Inspection Manual" states: -

The exhaust system will fail the MOT if:

* Part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated
* A mounting is missing or damaged so it does not support the system
* There is a major leak
* The system is excessively noisy.

Source here.

Now you can take that any way you choose. Either the exhaust must be complete and as designed from the factory (including the cat) or that the exhaust must be complete with no part missing (a complete exhaust rather than one which has a section such as the tail pipe not present).

As my MOT station removed the cat on my van earlier this year when it corroded, and fitted a straight through pipe instead, then I'm inclined to think that come MOT time it's going to pass.

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Now more confused! :confused:

Seems that you could pass the MOT if it passes the smoke test and CO2 test.

But could fail if the examiner notices it doesn't have a CAT when it should???

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Now more confused! :confused:

Seems that you could pass the MOT if it passes the smoke test and CO2 test.

But could fail if the examiner notices it doesn't have a CAT when it should???

yes and if unlucky to get a sharp-eyed and bad day having tester then yes it could fail on a technicality

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound

although not 100% by any means the suggestion of it being broken on a speed hump and the pipe is a repair usually will get you by if you keep it polite ;)

Assess whether the smoke emitted from the exhaust, regardless of measured density, is likely to obscure the vision of other road users

:whistle:for you big blowers ;) watch yaselves ;)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
UncleFester wrote

The Cat on our cars is not active, it's passive and as such has no input to the engine management system, all it functions as is a glorified soot catcher - mine actually runs better and smokes less without the stupid thing.

Sorry, but that's not right.

A catalyst increases the rate at which a chemical reaction take place without actually being involved in the reaction.
In a petrol car, the catalyst promotes the decomposition of three pollutants:
  • Hydrocarbons (HC) i.e. unburnt fuel. Become water (H20) and carbon dioxide (CO2)
  • Carbon monoxide (CO) from incomplete combustion. Becomes carbon dioxide.
  • Nitrous oxides (NOx) produced at high combustion temperatures. Becomes nitrogen (N2) and Oxygen (O2)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/catalytic-converter
http://www.eurocats.co.uk/technical.php

The catalyst does not filter out particles. If it did, it would soon clog up and stop your engine from running.

Diesels produce less pollutant gases, as the engine cycle is more efficient and diesels are almost always running lean, so there is plenty of oxygen present to ensure complete combustion. To meet emission reglations, diesels use a simpler two-way oxidation catalyst which doesn't affect NOx. NOx is controlled in the TDI engine by EGR.

In a petrol car, the oxygen content of the exhaust is monitored by the ecu at points before and after the catalyst, and the petrol-air mixture is adjusted to ensure that the correct proportion of oxygen remains in the exhaust gas for the balance of oxidation reactions and reduction to be maintained.

To be entirely honest, Cats only work in countries where the exhaust temperatures are high enough to activate the material inside the Cat - short journeys in the UK will never achieve that temperature and as such .... most of the time having a catalytic converter is pointless.

Exhaust temperature is only trivially dependent on outside air temperature, and the catalyst is warmed by the reactions taking place inside it, the ones that it catalyses. That's why some petrol cars have secondary air pumps, to pump extra clean air into the exhaust so the catalyst has oxygen to work with to burn up the hydrocarbon and CO produced at startup. The catalyst itself is working all the time, hot or not.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
You know far too much about this for your own good - i just know the cat came from california and that's definitey hotter than here :)

TThat said on a short trip ( say a 5 mile commute) you're never going to get EGT high enough for the cat to work effectively, perhaps i should have been more specific.

By active / passive, i meant that what goes on in a diesel cat is not measured by the cars ECU and as such has no overall effect on the engine mamagement or how it runs.

NWhiteley

May 26, 2006
up north
A diesel car does not require a Cat to pass the MOT, as as only a smoke test is carried out.

Infact a petrol car doesn't actually need a cat to pass the MOT, so long as it passes the BET test, some modern engines, that are running correctly, are clean enough to go through the BET test without the need for a Cat.

The Cat itself isnt part of the test, its just the gases that are produced from the car that are tested. (other than excessive blowing, excessive noise and excessive corrosion that is)

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
So basically it breaks down like this.
In order to pass the tests all cars are subject to, it will pass with flying colours all TDI's will.

HOWEVER

If your pulled over by a particuarly arsey police man he CAN fine you for it and take your car off the road.

or

If your MOT'er decides he wants to make some extra money he CAN say your car isnt road legal.

Basically, if you know someone whos pretty good and does MOT's or people who are lazy, Just do it.

The police PROBABLY wont notice, their inspections are normally of the tyres, washer jets etc.
and an MOT'er PROBABLY wont fail you for it.

The chances are always there however.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.